FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Claudia Croom: "I guess I'll run after all".

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Appointee Claudia Croom says she's changed her mind, will run for election to Flint City Council in 1st Ward seat

Dominic Adams | dadams5@mlive.com

on April 24, 2013 at 6:30 AM, updated April 24, 2013 at 6:31 AM

FLINT, MI – Claudia Croom pledged to Flint City Council that she had no intention of running for the position when she was appointed 1st Ward councilwoman in December.

When asked after she was sworn in if she would run in the election, Croom’s response was, “No way. I’m not a politician.”

It took her less than two months to change her mind.

When Delrico Loyd resigned in November, Council President Scott Kincaid said he always gave consideration to the recommendation of the outgoing council member.

Kincaid also told MLive-Flint Journal that he did not want to appoint someone who had intentions of runng for the seat. Lloyd recommended Croom.

“After I’ve started talking to different residents in my ward and when I started driving through my ward – the plight, the blight and the hopelessness of the residents in my ward -- it’s really sad,” Croom said. She said there are parts of her ward that she hadn’t visited in a long time. “I feel like I’ve got to do it. I’ve got to help my people.”

Croom took out a petition to run for election Feb. 1. She must get 100 signatures from 1st Ward residents by May 14 to be eligible for the August primary.

There were 10 people who wanted the seat.

“I supported Claudia because she submitted a letter to me indicating that she wasn’t going to run for the seat,” Kincaid said. “You can’t fault somebody for changing their mind. I think she’s done a great job as the 1st \Ward city councilperson. For me, she’s got to overcome that hurdle with her constituents.”

Sixth Ward Councilman Sheldon Neeley said he doesn’t have anything against Croom personally, “but I do take exception with the way that it all unfolded,” Neeley said.

“I think it was all premeditated – the way it all happened – and her actions validate that.”

For Croom, it’s all about helping residents.

“There are a lot of people who want a job for status, name recognition,” she said. “That’s why Flint is in the place that it is. People who criticize the decision either want the position or want their people elected.”

The 1st Ward is in the northwest corner of Flint. There are seven potential candidates who have taken out petitions and may run for the city council seat.

“That’s why I really don’t like the appointing process for the council,” Kincaid said. “She’s changed her mind, now it’s up to the 1st Ward if they want to elect Claudia or not.”

Dominic Adams is a reporter for MLive-Flint Journal. Contact him at dadams5@mlive.com or 810-241-8803. Follow him on Twitter, Facebook or Google+.

DWCBOB
Well, surprise, surprise, who would have ever thought it?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:27 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Sheldon Neeley was right and the whole scenario was premeditated. Wonder if UAW fingers were in the mix. The rumor on the street is she started her campaign committee a long time ago.

Council needs to start looking at the overall picture and stop this approving of something because a councilperson want's it.

As for Loyd. I can picture him over his head on the Hospital Board. There are some very smart people on that board and he is over his head.
Post Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:40 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Drive through parts of the First Ward. She needs to get rid of the graffiti on the stores on Carpenter near Northwestern. She needs to figure out how she is going to deal with the huge piles of trash collecting in her neighborhood, the abandoned houses, and the gangs.

I was told she told a resident she did not know how to help her because she was appointed. Why did she apply. A woman really took off on her during the Pastor's show on Saturday.
Post Wed May 01, 2013 7:07 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

At what point does changing your mind become going back on your word ?
Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:08 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Crowfeeder schreef:
At what point does changing your mind become going back on your word ?

I don't think that applies to politicians.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed May 01, 2013 9:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: