FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint/Genesee County's debtor's prison?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Debtors' Prison: Jobless Woman Jailed For Unpaid Traffic Fines

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:18 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.aclu.org/files/assets/InForAPenny_web.pdf#page=30

Post Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:25 pm 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

If you can't pay the fine don't do the crime.
Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:28 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Crowfeeder schreef:
If you can't pay the fine don't do the crime.

Did the Ku Klux Klan support that along with things like poll taxes? Regardless the supreme court has ruled things like poll taxes and and debtor's prisons are a violation of the 14th amendment. Not everyone has money to pay for things their government requires so I do support the 14th and oppose our local debtor's prison.

I think our debtor's prison is also a threat to our finances and security. I'd rather through real criminals like thieves in jail instead of people that couldn't afford car insurance for example.

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 am 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:
Not everyone has money to pay for things their government requires so I do support the 14th and oppose our local debtor's prison.

I'd rather through real criminals like thieves in jail instead of people that couldn't afford car insurance for example.

If she was a thief who refused to pay fines and restitution as a result of her thievery, you'd be ok with her incarceration? Where do you draw the line and decide which criminals have to abide by the penalties handed down by a judge?
Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 am 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

I'm glad to hear that a Judge has shown the guts to get tough with these scofflaws.With our cities in such financial trouble perhaps it will set a trend .Prisoners can be made to earn their keep by hard labor.ie on the tread mill,digging ditches,cleaning the smegma from toilet seats,things they are suited for.. Very Happy
Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:41 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Jail time for driving without insurance seems a bit harsh. I don't have a problem with hard time for real crimes like stealing or violence. We'd need a bigger jail if we really want to fill it up with people that drive without car insurance. With limited jail space I think we should prioritize and use it for real criminals and not just the poor.

A harsh approach might feel good as far as attacking criminals like the lady in the article but gee what happens when she loses her job thanks to government intervention. Then law abiding citizens get to pay for her jail time, food stamps, section 8 etc etc.

I'd rather police focus on 911 calls instead of revenue generation.

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:53 pm 
BAH836
F L I N T O I D

She wasn't jailed or driving without insurance. She was jailed for failing to pay her fine and restitution to the victim of the accident.

Again, where do you draw the line? If someone committed the real crime of "stealing" a $10 item, does that person have more responsibility to pay their fine than someone who owes their victim $1800 for a car accident they caused, simply because the crime is labeled "stealing"? If a person is poor, should they not be locked up for "stealing"? Should poor people be immune to societal laws because they're poor?

Regardless of her alleged financial troubles she continued to own a vehicle; which she drove for two years, without a license, insurance or valid plates. Law abiding citizens pay for each of these items, why should she be any different? Should someone be allowed to drive illegally because they have a financial hardship? How much of a financial hardship must one have in order to qualify to drive illegally?

The police focused on enforcing criminal law in this case. Should they have ignored the criminal activity because it wasn't observed due to a 911 call? You'd rather your police wait for 911 to be called before they enforce a criminal law?
Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:19 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: