FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: LAWSUIT FILED IN CIRCUIT COURT HALTS DEMOLITION OF HOMES

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Owner of historic house sues to block razing of 4 homes
FLINT
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Friday, December 01, 2006
By Joe Lawlor
jlawlor@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6312

FLINT - A woman who owns a historic house is going to court along with the Genesee County Historical Society to try to prevent the demolition of four historic Manning Court homes, an issue that has sparked passionate debate.

"I think it will be good to get this issue to a judge, to someone who's not emotionally attached to it basing their decision strictly on the law," said Ryan Eashoo of the Flint Historic District Commission, the group that voted to allow razing the houses. Eashoo voted against demolition.

Therese McDonnell owns a Manning Court home next door to the four homes targeted for demolition. Her lawsuit was filed Monday in Genesee County Circuit Court.

Meanwhile, some are emphasizing a compromise solution: moving three of the four Manning Court homes to another location. Due to logistical reasons, the fourth home could not be moved, officials say.

The Flint Historic District Commission voted Nov. 2 to approve demolishing the homes to make way for a parking lot for the Flint Institute of Music, but it also voted to try to find people willing to move the houses.

"We would donate the houses to people willing to move them, and we're even trying to raise money to help pay for the move," said Cindy Ornstein, president and chief executive officer of the Flint Cultural Center Corp., the FIM's owner.

Ornstein estimated moving the houses would cost about $20,000 to $40,000 each.

"I think it would be a good deal for someone, especially if they were willing to put their sweat equity into restoring the homes," Ornstein said. She said she has heard from about five people interested in obtaining the homes.

But David White, president of the Genesee County Historical Society, said the homes, which were built a century ago by auto pioneer J. Dallas Dort, would lose historic value once moved.

White said there's a much simpler solution: Keep the houses where they are and build the parking lot on a site north of the Manning Court homes that's also owned by the cultural center.

"We feel the decision was biased and not in keeping with historical guidelines," White said.

Ornstein said the parking lot needs to be next to the FIM so parents can see their children enter the building. She said the area north of the homes does not have enough parking spaces.

Still, Jack Minore, a former state lawmaker who used to live in the Manning Court area, said there are many solutions, and the cultural center and the Flint Historic District are refusing to consider the options.

I'm delighted that they are suing," Minore said.

Dale Suomela, a member of the Flint Historic District Commission, said moving the houses is a good compromise, but some people don't want to compromise.

"Nothing will satisfy them except getting their own way," Suomela said.

McDonnell could not be reached for comment Thursday.

For More Info or to write a support letter to save these houses e mail us at SaveManningCourt@aol.com or fax your letters/petitions to (810) 213-0225.
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The lawsuit says the cultural center must keep the homes heated and in good condition until a decision in court is made. It also states the homes can't be moved or razed until the court decision is made.
Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

i don't understand I guess. They say the parents need a place to drop off the kids, within visual site of the kids path to the FIM building entrance...are the parents then NOt staying? Are they merely looking for a loading/unloading point out of traffic? If so, then the point Ms Ornstein makes about the land north of the buildings not providing adequate parking spaces is irrelevant, if there is room for parents to safely unload/load their kids out of the way of traffic and in visual sight of the path the kids must travel.

It seems to me, the Cultural Center may just find owning the the properties to be too cumbersome/costly? The parking lot may be a red herring? The parking lot may be a better use of the land, so they need to get rid of the houses. But what if they didn't own the houses & the property in the first place? What would their student access solution be?

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:32 pm 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

Anyone interested should visit www.eastvillagemagazine.org to read about the Manning Street Houses to be demolished or the Flint Historic District Commission.

The website has photos of some of the Manning Street houses, the city's historic district ordinance, as well as other related stories, opinion pieces and a brief history of the historic district.

Please, send your letters by e-mail to eastvillagemagazine@excite.com, as letters to the editor are encouraged.

The stories speak for themselves. Additional stories are not planned, but are probably inevitable.

P.S., I don't regularly come to this site, as I do not have the internet at home or work. Please, forgive any slowness in responding to you if you attempt to contact me other than through the above mentioned e-mail address.

Last edited by GregoryJVanucci on Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:15 pm 
John Wilson
F L I N T O I D

Greg the link is broken because you added a period at the end.

The address is:

www.eastvillagemagazine.org
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:23 pm 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

Thank you, roscoevanzandt.

I have edited my postings that had the error. The link should no longer be broken.

Sorry about my lack of knowledge about all this techno-stuff....

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:55 pm 
GregoryJVanucci
F L I N T O I D

The Flint Journal story has some incorrect information.

First, it's Manning Street, not Manning Court.

Second, no officials have said that any of the houses cannot be moved. In fact, the man who inspected them last spring told me recently that he said no such thing. The city also did not say that any of the Manning houses cannot be moved.

Third, Ornstein claims a cost to move a house that is about half the amount she told the commission.

Fourth, the commission did not vote to look for people willing to buy and move the houses.

Fifth, The FIM is a tenant of the corporation. It is not owned by the FCCC.

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:05 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
GregoryJVanucci schreef:
The Flint Journal story has some incorrect information.

First, it's Manning Street, not Manning Court.

Second, no officials have said that any of the houses cannot be moved. In fact, the man who inspected them last spring told me recently that he said no such thing. The city also did not say that any of the Manning houses cannot be moved.

Third, Ornstein claims a cost to move a house that is about half the amount she told the commission.

Fourth, the commission did not vote to look for people willing to buy and move the houses.

Fifth, The FIM is a tenant of the corporation. It is not owned by the FCCC.

Gosh only 5 factual discrepancies? That might be a record in accurate reporting for the Flint Journal.

You know, its just a story...as long as its kinda, directionally..somewhat, captured the flavor of what might be or could have happened, thats good enough for them.

As long as the editions get out on time and look good.

reporting, fact checking and editing are not their strong suites......

so sad. but journalism is a "bidnezz"......and well they have to find the story that creates black ink.

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:14 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Any luck you could find out what is happening to the old Reigle/Collins Funeral Home located at 4305 Clio Road? The owner John Collins, bailed out on the building and it has been sitting for about 4 years now. At one point it was going to Sheriff sale and foreclosure but that has been cancelled.
I would appreciate any information you might be able to dig up. I've searched the tax records in Genessee County without any luck.
Thanks
Richard Vyse
Florida
Post Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:02 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: