FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Are the Generals vital to Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Al Garcia

Are the Generals vital to Flint.
I know this is something totally different but Im a big hockey fan and a big fan of the Generals and Spirits growing up. I loved going to the IMA when it was actually a good venue to watch a top notch minor league hockey game.
Bernie Gallant, Jim Edgerton, John Vecherelli, and my all time favorite Flint player, Terry Tait just to name a few of Flint hockey heros from my childhood.
Its funny that people try to figure out just what happened. Isnt it obvious?
The state of the Generals is directly related to the state of the city. I wont go off on one of my tangents.
Sometimes, I wonder if the one person, the player that was most likey, the most beloved player in Flint pro hockey history, really wants to save the franchise. If he does, why hasnt he? Im pretty sure he has the financial backing to carry things through. I dont know, maybe there isnt enough money in the cookie jar. His name is already on the outside of that embarrassing building. Maybe he already sees the writing on the hall....Bob's not a dumb guy!
Come on...the Good Doctor cant truely have a vested interest in this team. He has proven, he doesnt care. Look at the once great franchise. Once, one of the premier minor league teams, not only in hockey but in all of minor league sports. You remember the good ol' days, dont you. Who knew 3500 people could be so loud.
I bet some of you remember that Turner Cup championship back in 1984, I think it was. I think Teddy Garvin was the coach, I could be wrong....who remembers the coach anyways.... but I remember them bringing the Turner Cup home and that big party at the IMA. Standing in line, they passed out straws so we the fans could all go up on stage and sip fruit punch out of the Cup. Sure, it was wasnt the Stanley Cup but being a Generals fan and winning it all, It just didnt matter.
Its sad, because after nearly 40 years, it looks like professional hockey might of run its couse in Flint.
Another thing that you wont really miss until its gone. Al Sims will collect his check and move on to the next hockey job. The ushers who have worked the stands forever, some Im sure since Game #1 will retire from their part time fun job. The hard working kids who sold you popcorn will move to their next dead end job. The hockey jerseys will end up on ebay and memories will fade.
So as they cut the plywood to board up the windows, thanks for the memories Generals....thanks for the memories.
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:11 am 
Joe

I toke my kids to the game, and the few thugs that are there, create problems.
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:38 am 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Joe schreef:
I toke my kids to the game, and the few thugs that are there, create problems.

stop toking up with your kids.

just say no to drugs.

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:03 pm 
Al Garcia

Hey Big.....
For once, we agree!
Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:57 pm 
Candy Cane

To answer your question, the Generals are not vital to Flint. It is sad, but sometimes the future hurts.

1. Flint is 55.76% black and blacks probably prefer basketball or almost any other sport over hockey.

2. People in Flint probably don't have disposable income to buy tickets for the games. After all, Flint has the lowest average housing values of any city over 100k people.

3. People from the outside are probably scared to come to Flint. Will their car get busted into while they are watching the game?

4. Alot of minor league hockey teams aren't doing well across the board. In other cities they don't sell out arenas except for during the playoffs maybe.
Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 3:59 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
Hey Big.....
For once, we agree!

hey Al, I bet if we went down the check list we'd agree on more than one item.

Since we probably have more shared values than we realize.

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:53 pm 
Al Garcia

I would agree with that Big....much respect my friend...much respect!
Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:24 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: