FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Yamaha Closing Plants, Shifting Production to Asia

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Posted date: 2/9/2007

Yamaha Closing Plants, Shifting Production to Asia

By Michael Lyster

Orange County Business Journal Staff

Buena Park-based musical instruments maker Yamaha Corporation of America is closing plants in Michigan and Georgia and is shuttering a local unit.

The company, part of Japan’s Yamaha Corp., plans to cut 380 jobs and move production to Asia.

Yamaha plans to close its plants in Grand Rapids, Michigan , and Thomaston, Ga. It also is set to close its Yamaha Exporting Inc. unit in Buena Park.

All of the job cuts are coming in Michigan and Georgia. Five people from Yamaha Exporting are set to move to other jobs in Buena Park, according to a report on Advantage Business Media’s Manufacturing.net.

The plant closures are expected to cost Yamaha $11 million.

The Michigan plant makes wind instruments and had revenue of $30 million in 2006. It’s set to close at the end of April. Yamaha plans to step up wind instrument production at plants in China, Indonesia and Japan.

Some employees are set to move to Buena Park, according to a report in Michigan’s Grand Rapids Press. Yamaha is moving a research and development unit that works with musicians from Michigan to Buena Park.

The Georgia plant makes pianos and speakers with 2006 sales of $34 million. It’s set to close by March. Plants in China, Taiwan and Indonesia are set to take over production.

The export business counted $20 million in 2006 sales.

Yamaha does nearly $5 billion in yearly sales, including $800 million from the Buena Park unit. The company is the top U.S. music and sound company, according to Music Trades magazine.

http://www.ocbj.com/article.asp?aID=36429224.1410381.1430663.30996.87215104.772&aID2=110042

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:06 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thanks to all these FREE TRADE laws!
[/b]

Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Yep. We have got to stop protecting Foreign companies from paying taxes in the USA! This idea that taxing the American companies and the American citizen to the hilt and allowing these companies to move off shore is good for the economy is a crock of !@#$!

Free Trade is only FREE for Foreign companies!
Post Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Yep. We have got to stop protecting Foreign companies from paying taxes in the USA! This idea that taxing the American companies and the American citizen to the hilt and allowing these companies to move off shore is good for the economy is a crock of !@#$!

Free Trade is only FREE for Foreign companies!

Amen Ted... Looks like the funny sounding man, back 10 or so years ago named Ross Perot was right.... I for sure hear that SUCKING sound now that he was talking about.

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Lestcoast Perspective

Let's get up to reality. Have you heard of 2007?? If one foot is stuck in yesterday and on foot is stuck in tomorrow, then you'll be shitting on the present.
Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:31 pm 
Lestcoast Perspective

Let's get up to reality. Have you heard of 2007?? If one foot is stuck in yesterday and on foot is stuck in tomorrow, then you'll be shitting on the present.
Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:42 pm 

I guess all the people in Flint, Michigan are dead by now . . . just like General Motors. Charles Stewart Mott is probably rolling over in his grave.
Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:46 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: