FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Neighborhood Action Sessions and Block Clubs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I received a call Friday evening, then a voice mail reminder yesterday, from "Ward Organizer" who said there will be a meeting at the Flint Public Library main branch today 5:30-7:30 for "All Wards" with Mayor Dayne Walling to consider "projects."

Also, 8th ward meetings:

02/25/2010, 6:30-8:30 at Neithercut Elementary

03/10/2010, 5:30-7:30 at Zimmerman Center

03/11/2010, 5:30-7:30 at Eisenhower Elementary

and

04/24/2010 Meeting - Ideas will happen (projects to be finished)

When I asked questions the ward organizer suggested I call Walling's number, 810-766-7346. Anyone have any more details on this? Checked City of Flint, Flint Journal, Flint Public Library, City's "blog," Walling's Twitter page, and could find NO INFORMATION about this. Seems if it's public information, there should have been published information and meeting announcement.

Also, what's the difference between a "ward captain" and a "ward organizer," besides the mayor who appointed them?

Edited title only Feb. 2, 2010,9:32 pm.

Last edited by 00SL2 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I just got back. If you didn't attend, you didn't miss much. I wasn't called, but heard about the meeting & went out of curiosity. people were grouped by ward, and the ward organizers and facilitators were from wards other than the one they worked with. The only reason they gave was that "they wanted it that way", whoever "they" might be. Freeman, Weighhil & Nolden were there. I didn't see any table, or people, for the second ward.
We put dots on a ward map where we'd like to see new businesses locate, then worked on a statement - "Our ward is a place where.........." Then, each ward read their statement and patted themselves on the back while everyone applauded. We then filled out an evaluation form on the session & went home.
The only "positive" thing to come out of it is that the 5th ward list shows a shooting range as something that could be developed on empty properties. Laughing I also asked if we could make a list of "businesses" we'd like to see shut down, but that wasn't on the agenda.
All in all, lots of talk and no action.

I think you have it right on the "ward organizers". None of them live in the wards they're "organizing".

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Was there a lot of people there? They might have only called the people who went to the meetings and your ward captain might have been a slacker. I was called about this the other day and almost went.
Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:47 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I take it Walling wasn't there. Who was the main facilitator? Are these ward organizers appointees of Walling or someone else? Are they paid? What are their duties/responsibilities? What is the purpose of these meetings? Is anyone actually taking any action or is this Walling's way of getting ideas from everyone else instead of implementing his own?

I have the impression Walling wants to gather ideas from residents, have volunteers implement them, and then let him take the credit.

I've not seen any feedback from him after the first meeting he had in our ward in November.
Post Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:40 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Walling wasn't there. The ward organizers were either appointed by Walling, or someone in his group. I don't know if they get paid or not. I didn't get their names, but I was told by someone that knows that the people that facilitated the meeting - not the ward organizers - are city employees.
There was no action; it was all talk. OOSL2's impressions about the ideas are accurate.
It was pretty crowded. I'm sure we surprised the 5th ward organizer by showing up, since we hadn't been called. She had to find more chairs as there was just enough for those that had been called.
When each group reported their "vision" for their ward, there was no report from the 2nd ward. I didn't see a table for them, either.
The food was good, and like a lot of meetings I've been to, several people left after they ate, some taking more food with them.

Oh, Alex Harris was there, too. I don't know if he was at one of the tables, I just saw him standing along the wall talking on the phone.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:11 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Why was Walling not there? Was he still in Pittsburgh?
Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:12 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

He's back in Flint. Maybe he had better things to do.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Oh. I guess he was getting ready for the state of the union address.

https://twitter.com/mayorwalling

Sometimes Flint meetings can run late so I guess he was able to watch the speech live by not showing up for his big city-wide meeting.
Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:49 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

The meeting ended at 7:30, the Obamafest didn't start until 9.

Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:31 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Maybe he was worried the meeting would run way over and he would not be able to watch it live. Where's the mole when ya need em?
Post Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:08 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I was looking at the Flint Spotlight this morning, and they have a copy of a flyer that was passed out at the meeting that raises interesting questions.
http://flintspotlight.com/?page_id=57

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:32 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
I received a call Friday evening, then a voice mail reminder yesterday, from "Ward Organizer" who said there will be a meeting at the Flint Public Library main branch today 5:30-7:30 for "All Wards" with Mayor Dayne Walling to consider "projects."

Also, 8th ward meetings:

02/25/2010, 6:30-8:30 at Neithercut Elementary

03/10/2010, 5:30-7:30 at Zimmerman Center

03/11/2010, 5:30-7:30 at Eisenhower Elementary

and

04/24/2010 Meeting - Ideas will happen (projects to be finished)

When I asked questions the ward organizer suggested I call Walling's number, 810-766-7346. Anyone have any more details on this? Checked City of Flint, Flint Journal, Flint Public Library, City's "blog," Walling's Twitter page, and could find NO INFORMATION about this. Seems if it's public information, there should have been published information and meeting announcement.

Also, what's the difference between a "ward captain" and a "ward organizer," besides the mayor who appointed them?

ward captain blows the mayor while ward organizer gets others to blow the mayor

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:24 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I've been hearing that several block clubs have been contacted & told they must register or they will not be eligible for any grant money. I don't know who is doing the calling, or why. Has anyone else heard about this?

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:08 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Register with whom? Our 501(c)3 applies for an annual beautification grant on a formal application (Ruth Mott Foundation for KGCB grant). After grant is received and project is completed we have to make a report, complete with before and after photos.

Are they talking about something similar? We didn't have to "register" for that, just made application.
Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:57 pm 
FlintBeerMan
F L I N T O I D

so who wants to be a captain

Post Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:07 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: