FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Land Bank moves toward developer for Durant Hotel

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Land Bank moves toward developer for Durant Hotel
Posted by Lindsey Poisson July 19, 2007 14:00PM
Categories: Breaking News, Business, Flint
FLINT -- The vacant Durant Hotel is one step closer to revitalization.

Land Bank Authority members voted this morning to take the early steps toward establishing a Lansing firm as developer of the long-closed site. Officials are interested the building having housing for college students and young professionals.

Today's move would allow the Land Bank Authority to start a formal partnership with the company, Karp & Associates.

The proposed arrangement would transfer most of the financial risk to the private developer, but the Land Bank Authority would retain some investment and control, said Genesee County Treasurer Daniel Kildee, chairman of the Land Bank.

"This is what we hoped would happen," he said. "The concept we originally had, we want to stay with that concept."
http://blog.mlive.com/flintjournal/newsnow/2007/07/land_bank_moves_toward_develop.html

Post Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:53 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

That is Awesome news, we need to save that structure and put it back on the tax rolls. Plus, the historic value of that building is priceless.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:23 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I just hope that whoever develops the hotel hires a decent historic preservation consultant who knows what they are doing historically and can also get the most bang for the buck.
Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:51 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I can still remember when the Durant Hotel was open. It had a restaurant on the lower floor that had red/green plaid carpet. That always stood out in my mine. I also remember the Holiday Inn that used to be where, I think, a McDonald's is at and, the old Sears building on the split. How about Kreege's with their counter service.
Stolling down memory lane.
Richard
Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:29 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I can still remember when the Durant Hotel was open. It had a restaurant on the lower floor that had red/green plaid carpet. That always stood out in my mine. I also remember the Holiday Inn that used to be where, I think, a McDonald's is at and, the old Sears building on the split. How about Kreasge's with their counter service.
Richard
Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:30 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

They actually hired a very good developer who is sensitive to Historic Preservation. This company has done a lot of historic restoration work, The land bank still has to come before the Flint Historic District Commission too.

quote:
Tegan schreef:
I just hope that whoever develops the hotel hires a decent historic preservation consultant who knows what they are doing historically and can also get the most bang for the buck.

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:49 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

They actually hired a very good developer who is sensitive to Historic Preservation. This company has done a lot of historic restoration work, The land bank still has to come before the Flint Historic District Commission too.

quote:
Tegan schreef:

Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:49 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Glad to see I'm not the only one double posting here.
Richard
Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:58 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

That's awesome. I forgot the Durant Hotel is in the district, although I don't know how I could've forgotten that. And then after I posted that, I read about how the developer did a lot of the renovation and restoration downtown Lansing. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Post Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:51 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
I can still remember when the Durant Hotel was open. It had a restaurant on the lower floor that had red/green plaid carpet. That always stood out in my mine. I also remember the Holiday Inn that used to be where, I think, a McDonald's is at and, the old Sears building on the split. How about Kreasge's with their counter service.
Richard

Consumers Power offices where the Northbank Center is. State, Strand, Palace & Garden theaters, Schippicasses candy store on the south side of the river (I can still smell the peanut roaster), Coney islands on the bridge across the river.
Shopping for school clothes at Buckingham's, Allsports, Hubbard's hardware.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:40 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
Richard

Consumers Power offices where the Northbank Center is. State, Strand, Palace & Garden theaters, Schippicasses candy store on the south side of the river (I can still smell the peanut roaster), Coney islands on the bridge across the river.
Shopping for school clothes at Buckingham's, Allsports, Hubbard's hardware.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: