FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Davison needs a real local newspaper!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Anybody who reads The Davison Index (and I suspect that the number of those who do is actually quite small) is getting a warped perception of what really happens around Davison.

The paper is actually a mouthpiece for its publishers and editor, who carefully edit their stories in order to promote their own agenda, and to diminish the viewpoint of the city's officials.

Freedom of speech is important, but the press also has a responsibility to at least try to convey the facts accurately. The Index does not live up to this responsibility.

I decided it was time to stand up to the town bully, so I've started my own website:

The Index of Errors
( www.IndexOfErrors.Blogspot.com )

Stop on by, leave a comment, let me know what you think.
Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:55 am 
FlintWorker67
F L I N T O I D

Kevin you sayin the Davison paper is being censored?

Post Sat Aug 25, 2007 9:00 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

I'm saying the paper is merely a mouthpiece for its publishers, Jim Sherman and his wife.

The write slanted stories which favor their own interests, and when somebody writes a letter critical of their coverage, or trying to clarify a city issue, they refuse to print it.

I have seen on several occasions when they have written a story critical of a particular local resident or city official, when they have made no attempt to contact their subject to get his or her side of the story. They've done this to me. When they get the urge to slam somebody, they decide what they are going to write first, and then only interview those who will confirm their story.
Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:08 am 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
The paper is actually a mouthpiece for its publishers and editor, who carefully edit their stories in order to promote their own agenda, and to diminish the viewpoint of the city's officials.

Freedom of speech is important, but the press also has a responsibility to at least try to convey the facts accurately.

Welcome to Flinttalk, Kevin...long time no chat.

As for promoting their own agenda, welcome to the right. We've been saying that for years. Have you ever read the New York Times?
Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:08 pm 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Even if your NYT analogy were accurate, I would say at least the U.S. has more than one paper to read. Not so of Davison. This rag comes into everybody's mailbox whether we want it or not, and unfortunately, too many people believe what they print, because they don't see Davison news anywhere else.
Post Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:23 pm 
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Kevin McKague schreef:
Even if your NYT analogy were accurate, I would say at least the U.S. has more than one paper to read. Not so of Davison. This rag comes into everybody's mailbox whether we want it or not, and unfortunately, too many people believe what they print, because they don't see Davison news anywhere else.

Surely you're not suggesting the NYT is unbiased.

Have you ever heard of capitalism? Genesee County can't even support 2 real newspapers (and that's giving the Journal the benefit of the doubt). How do you expect Davison to support 2 newspapers? And I think you probably give them more credit than they deserve. Everyone I know that gets any type of rag in the mail tosses it into the recycle bin without even looking at the headlines.

Perhaps there is a new line of work in your future? The Davison Weekly?
The world according to Kevin?

Seriously, though, people believe what they want to believe. I had a guy just yesterday tell me that President George H.W. Bush put Saddam Hussein into power. Interesting, since (according to wikipedia) Saddam took power while Jimmy Carter was president.
Post Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:12 am 
Kevin McKague
F L I N T O I D

Since starting the blog, and forwarding my letters to the Index to everybody in town, it looked like the paper's editor was beginning to behave. For two weeks, they seemed to be playing fair, printing my letters for the first time in ages, and writing fairly balanced stories.

Unfortunately, their streak of bias free reporting has ended at two weeks.

www.IndexofErrors.blogspot.com
Post Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:28 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: