FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Tigers Spring Training

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FormerFlint
F L I N T O I D

Yep. it's here and I'll be there. That's one of the real pleasures of living here in the Tampa Bay area. Baseball is everywhere. In honor of the return of baseball, here is my alltime best ROID TEAM:

C - Ivan Rodriguex
He beats LoDuca and Hundley. Benito Santiago is close. But IROD gets it

1B - Mcgwire
This is the toughest position of all. Palmeiro, Mo Vaughn, and Giambi gave him a run for his money, but "I'm not here to speak about the past" wins out for the cartoonish body he had.

2B - Brett Boone
FP Santangello and Jerry Hairston only ran faster. Brian Roberts and Chuck Knoblauch werent bad. But Booney swung the big bat.

3B - Ken Caminiti
Another close race. Matt Williams, Troy Glaus, and Gary Sheffield made it tough. Caminiti, the former MVP, gets the edge for making a trifecta with roids, crack, and alcohol.... and then dying from an overdose.

SS - Miguel Tejeda
Pretty easy one. Glaus qualifies. Other than that, no one really special.

OF - Barry Bonds, Brady Anderson, Sammy Sosa
Lots of guys coulda been in there. Canseco, Sheffield, Juan Gonzalez, Lenny Dykstra, Rondell White, Glenallen Hill, and Jack Cust were in the running. David Justice barely missed it, getting extra points for his Roid Rage when he beat up his then wife Halle Berry. But I also subtracted points for his Roid Rage when he beat up his then wife Halle Berry. But i just could not bump him up for destroying something so beautiful (why do the hot chicks always pick the idiots??)In the end he could not edge out the one hit wonder that is Brady.

SP - Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte, Kevin Brown, Paul Byrd, Rick Ankiel
Not a bad rotation eh? I'd take this five against any other. Ankiel gets in cause he's just outta control and there is a certain enjoyment factor out of watching a guy implode on the mound. Kinda like golfin with your buddy and laughing at him when he hits a house.

RP - Eric Gagne, John Rocker, Brendan Donnelly
The alltime single season saves leader (Gagne) along with the alltime career leader in idiocy and racism (Rocker)!!!! Does it get any better?

And Finally

Batboy/Pharmacist/Clown - Jose Canseco
Really, what list on Steroids is complete without the self-proclaimed Godfather of Roids? If he's not belting homers, throwin knuckle balls, or bouncin balls of his neanderthal forehead, he can at least tell us how he hooked up with Madonna.

And there it is. It's a sad thing when you consider how many HR Titles, MVP's, and CY Young awards are on this list. If you believe these are the only guys using, your lying to yourself. I'd say somewhere around 80% have used. That may be low.

With that being said, I'll see you at the ball park. Laughing

Post Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:18 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I lost interest several years ago. The strike, outrageous salaries, Pete Rose, Steroids, etc. The commissioner doing nothing about it, and the union fighting any testing doesn't help at all.
Of course, I am an old guy. I remember when the game was played for the sheer joy of it. Players like Al Kaline, Brooks Robinson, Whitey Ford, Willie Horton, Stan Musial. I've met them and they're all gentlemen.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:56 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
squash
F L I N T O I D

I saw the drawings for your prposed new stadium in Tampa. Looks real interesting. Any thing is better than that dump there in now. Maybe another trip to Fla is in order.
Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:52 pm 
FormerFlint
F L I N T O I D

Yes that new field would be nice. I cant stand the dome the Rays play in now so I only got to one or two games a year.... to see the Tigers of course. Thats why Spring Training is much more fun for me. Tix are cheap (usually 'round $6-10) and beer is cheaper ($2.50 for a biggin).

I cant stand all the crap that goes on in Baseball either. I think Selig should be sent to some far away island and "Rose-Ruled" out of baseball forever. As much as I hate what the sport has become, I can't leave it. Too many memories of sitting on my grandparents porch with gramps, on those warm and humid summer nights. The small brown battery powered radio cracklin. I can still hear Ernie Harwell saying "it's way back... GOOD BYE!! Gibby put it on the porch in right field. He touched that one pretty good." or "Morris has been mowing 'em down. 3-2 on the batter..... he deals.... STRIKE 3! And Murray goes down swingin."

Those were special times.

Post Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:23 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: