FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee Democratic incombents set for easy uncontested wins

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/05/genesee_county_michigan_jobs.html
GENESEE COUNTY, Michigan -- Jobs are hard to come by, right?

Not so far for elected county department heads, five of whom make at least $82,000 annually and were unchallenged in their re-election bids with less than 36 hours before the deadline to file for the offices.

So far, there is no challenger in the primary or general elections for six Democrats: Sheriff Robert J. Pickell, Prosecutor David Leyton, Treasurer Daniel T. Kildee, Clerk Michael J. Carr, Drain Commissioner Jeff Wright and Surveyor Kim R. Carlson.

The exception to the low-interest rule is the register of deeds position currently held by Melvin P. McCree, who is leaving office because of his health. Seven candidates (five Democrats and two Republicans) had filed for that open seat as of Monday morning.

In six of the nine county Board of Commissioner races, only the incumbent has filed for re-election. County commissioners earn $31,788 annually.

Pay for the countywide offices ranges from $82,748 for the clerk, treasurer and register of deeds to $134,150 for the drain commissioner.

County Republican Party Chairwoman Denise Graves said she expects challengers for at least some of those countywide offices before Tuesday's filing deadline.

Some candidates decide which office to run for just minutes before the filing deadline, sometimes choosing the office that's least crowded.

Graves said the high cost of campaigning and the difficulty for non-incumbents and Republicans to win offices hurts competition.

A competitive county commission race can easily cost $50,000, she said, and running for countywide office is even tougher.

"I don't want to see people waste their money," Graves said.

"I don't want to somebody in there just to be there."

Running for Genesee County offices 101
• Candidates have until 4 p.m. Tuesday to file petitions or pay a $100 filing fee to run for county office. Petition requirements vary by office and party affiliation.

• Minimum age for being elected to a county office is 18.

• You must live in Genesee County to run for countywide office or in a specific district to run for county Board of Commissioners.

• Candidates for township offices also have until 4 p.m. Tuesday to file for a township government position. Those candidates file for office with their township clerk.

Last edited by Adam Ford on Mon May 12, 2008 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon May 12, 2008 1:58 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Please consider at least going on the ballot!!! Tomorrow is the deadline for precinct delegates and everything else. I was really hoping we would contest the prosecutor race on either side.
Post Mon May 12, 2008 2:01 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: