FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Granholm vetoes abortion ban...again
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
FlintConservative
F L I N T O I D

Gov. Granholm vetoes abortion, helmet bills
By CHRIS CHRISTOFF • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • June 13, 2008

LANSING – Gov. Jennifer Granholm vetoed bills today that would ban so-called partial birth abortions and allow motorcyclists to ride without helmets.

It’s the second time she vetoed both provisions. This time, her veto of the anti-abortion bill faces a possible override attempt in the Legislature.

Last week the House gave final approval to a bill that would allow motorcyclists ages 21 and older to pay a $100 annual fee to ride without a helmet if they carried $20,000 in medical insurance.

In her veto message, Granholm said the law would result in more injuries and deaths of motorcyclists at a cost to the general public.

In vetoing the ban on partial birth abortions, Granholm said the bill did not provide exceptions to preserve the mother’s health and life.

Supporters of the ban argued that the procedure is never needed to save the health or life of a mother. Although federal law prohibits partial birth abortions, anti-abortion activists lobbied for a similar state law to allow local prosecutors to pursue violators.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080613/NEWS06/80613058/1008/NEWS
Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:15 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Granholm said the bill did not provide exceptions to preserve the mother’s health and life.

Why would you not support a Bill because it doesn't allow for something that is never done.
Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:31 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****Supporters of the ban argued that the procedure is never needed to save the health or life of a mother.*****

Statistically speaking, that can be argued for both sides, believe it or not. In the sense that IF I remember right that there were only 600 +/- or so "partial birth abortions" done in the US in one year in the late 90's. I don't have the exact numbers at my disposal, but I have a weird thing for remembering numbers.

The numbers can be argued that the stats claim that less than .05 % of abortions performed are these numbers therefore it's never needed but what about those mothers that would die IF they didn't have the procedure done? That's approximately 600 men without significant others and approximately at least 600 children without mothers to care for them.

I have a hard time with the reasons to block "partial birth abortion", due to the fact that women's lives are at stake. We give more credence to the benefit of "potential" life than we do life already existing.

This is a good read.
http://archive.salon.com/health/feature/2000/06/29/abortion/index.html
http://dir.salon.com/story/mwt/feature/2005/02/09/fetus/index.html

Maternal Morbidity:
http://library.adoption.com/parenting-and-families/fact-sheet-the-magnitude-of-maternal-morbidity-during-labor-and-delivery/article/8178/1.html

Maternal Mortality:
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=39642

Post Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:25 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Jenny does something right now and then.

I hope they don't have the votes to override her veto. They haven't done it once yet.

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:32 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

It's already banned under federal law.

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/05/michigan_house_votes_to_ban_pa.html
Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:45 am 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Then they should stop wasting our time and tax dollars on another law.

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:06 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Republicans might get wiped out on this November so we do need to get it passed now.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:28 am 
Deena
F L I N T O I D

Seems odd that the comments on this veto split by gender....

On second thought, it's not odd at all. It's so easy to make tough choices for knowing well you will never be in the position to have to chooce,

Talk about pigs!
Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:36 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
LANSING – Gov. Jennifer Granholm vetoed bills today that would ban so-called partial birth abortions and allow motorcyclists to ride without helmets.

So in a couple of strokes of her Pen Jenny saved lives and took em at the same time. Such power.

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:14 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:

quote:

So in a couple of strokes of her Pen Jenny saved lives and took em at the same time. Such power.

Twotap,
Please double check your facts before giving any credit to liberal anti-american politicians!

http://www.europa.com/~frankie/faq.htm
http://www.edcallahan.com/web110/articles/helmets.htm

If Granholm really cared about motorcycle rider's safety she would ban motorcycles because they aren't as safe as cars. I think people should be allowed to make their own decisions.

The same thing goes with parachutists and other risky activities. Why doesn't the government ban many more of our freedoms so we can all be safe???
Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:26 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Adam, please pay attention to my posts. How did you get I was crediting Jenny with anything. Sarcasm 101

Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:09 pm 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

You said she saved lived and took them. The only proven statement is supported the taking of lives. Helmets like seatbelts have not been proven to save lives unless you are in an accident. There is data that suggest seatbelts and helmets lead to more accidents which cancels out the life saving effects. You have to be careful when you even jokingly give liberals an inch. I think Romney gave liberals the 1 percent income tax and now it has moved up to 5%. Liberals said they would rarely if ever enforce the seat belt law now it is the main thing police enforce.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:18 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

The problem is Partial Birth Abortion is a more dangerous procedure than giving birth. So how? Again so HOW, is having that option available going to be used to save the Life or health of the Mother. When it is more dangerous to perform than letting nature take its course.
Post Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

Prove it, Ted. Show me the stats.

You guys make this stuff up as you go...

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:37 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Helmets like seatbelts have not been proven to save lives unless you are in an accident.

Ah ya, I believe thats what they are designed to do. Laughing

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:53 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: