FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Do they teach real math in Flint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Apparently Some public schools have stopped teaching division.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jIknLQBhUVOj_QjvWRCm2sxwA4JQD91UHBDG0

"Yes, Morey teaches her son, who'll enter fifth grade in the fall, how to divide the old-fashioned way — you know, with descending columns of numbers, subtracting all the way down. It's a formula that works, and she finds it quick, reliable, even soothing. So, she says, does her son.

But in his fourth-grade class, long division wasn't on the agenda. As many parents across the country know, this and some other familiar formulas have been supplanted, in an increasing number of schools, by concept-based curricula aiming to teach the ideas behind mathematics rather than rote procedures."
Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:22 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

For those that don't think math is needed because we have calculators, who will design the next generation of them, the Chinese or the Indians?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:55 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Cooney says. "The outcome will be the same, but how we get there will be different." Thus, when a parent is asked to multiply 88 by 5, we'll do it with pen and paper, multiplying 8 by 5 and carrying over the 4, etc. But a child today might reason that 5 is half of 10, and 88 times 10 is 880, so 88 times 5 is half of that, 440 — poof, no pen, no paper.
Is this what they call the "new math?" Anybody have a reference? I've been curious to see a simple explanation.
Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:24 pm 
squash
F L I N T O I D

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mde/F07_Gr4_Math_Rel_Doc_221997_7.pdf

Here are the released items for the fourth grade mathematics portion of the MEAP test. You'll notice that there are very few items that simply ask you to compute two numbers. So in that sense you could say that math is being taught in new ways. I know also that math is still being taught the old-fashioned way, and that is indicated on our low MEAP scores. Math has become more and more about reading and reasoning.
Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:31 am 
Adam Ford
F L I N T O I D

Great find! It doesn't look like they do teach "real math" in Michigan. Part two of the test allows calculators. In addition I hear there is a movement towards wholistic reading which I've heard is not as good but it appears I may be more of a "right brained" "deductive" "auditory learner".

http://www.capousd.org/gwes/somodi/inventory.html
Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:52 am 
squash
F L I N T O I D

Whole language is a movement whose time has come and gone. Most approaches to reading education today are combinations of whole language and phonics instruction. There was quite a bit of controversy surrounding it about ten years ago. Especially when teaching students who don't speak Standard American English (whatever that is) at home.

http://www.education-world.com/a_curr/curr029.shtml

Phonics doesn't always work.

ghoti

gh as in rough
o as in women
ti as in caution

ghoti=fish
Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:48 pm 
Demeralda
F L I N T O I D

When I was helping my step-something with her homework, it was nearly impossible because they have these weird ways of doing it now.

They were obsessed with the use of a number line. I didn't get it. I don't think she was learning it any more successfully because of this new methodology, either.

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:55 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: