FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Tax Vote Tonight
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

The big tax increase vote is tonight at City Council.....5:30 pm @ City Hall
Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Is this the meeting where the council will decide whether to put it on the ballot?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:00 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Yep..... Seems to me that the Council and Administration should make the tough decisions of cutting spending before even considering to ask the voters for more money.
Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:05 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Government cutting spending to match income would be dangerous. People would be having heart attacks at the thought of them doing something that made sense. Laughing

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:17 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

So, did anyone go to the meeting? How did the council vote?

I was at a meeting of 5th ward residents, and Carolyn Sims was there! She left about 7, saying she had to be there for the vote.

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:54 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Just heard on channel 12 that they voted 7-1 against putting it on the ballot. I guess they don't want to let the people decide. Was Sims the absent councilperson?

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:59 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Simms was present.
They voted it down!
Why would we want to choose to vote on a millage when they haven't proven where all the money went? You need some facts before making a decsion.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:08 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Sims was at a meeting of 5th ward residents at the Northside Ministation until 7pm. The meeting was hosted by the 5th ward captain. I heard this morning that she told the council she'd be late due to an "emergency".

Why would the council not want the citizens to have the right to vote on the millage? Are they afraid it might pass? Do they want poor public safety in Flint? If someone other than the Mayor proposed it, would it get on the ballot?

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:39 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/07/flint_city_council_nixes_putti.html

"• The Flint City Council voted 7-1 against placing three tax millages on the November ballot.

• The tax proposals would have totaled 6.4 mills for the police and fire departments and to reopen the Flint City Jail.

• Voting to put the taxes before voters was Councilman Kerry Nelson. Voting against were council members Carolyn Sims, Sandy Hill, Ehren Gonzales, Delrico Loyd, Sheldon Neeley, Scott Kincaid and Jim Ananich."

Apparently Poplar was not present.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:48 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

Council should only put good proposals before the Citizens to vote on.

What makes anyone here think for a minute that this increase will go to anything the Mayor claims that it will?

What has he ever said that was the truth?
Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:

What has he ever said that was the truth?

He said he paved streets and how many miles of streets he had paved among a few other things I'm sure. He has also helped clean up some streets from what I've heard.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:23 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ted Jankowski schreef:
Council should only put good proposals before the Citizens to vote on.

You mean only those proposals not requested by the mayor.
Good or bad, it should be on the ballot for the people to decide. Or, are you afraid that the people might vote for it?

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Adam schreef:

He said he paved streets and how many miles of streets he had paved among a few other things I'm sure. He has also helped clean up some streets from what I've heard.

WHy do you keep repeat this obviously WRONG! statement. If you can give the Mayor credit for Paving Streets! You should equally give Credit to the City Council who approved it? Or better even yet. Mayor Stanely who had set that up before Don was ever elected?

quote:
You mean only those proposals not requested by the mayor.
Good or bad, it should be on the ballot for the people to decide. Or, are you afraid that the people might vote for it?

Proposals that have proven they are needed? There is money in the budget for "X" amount of officers. However, the mayor laid off more than that, Hmmm THink on that one for a moment? WHat affect might the outcome of the millage? Possibly a distorted or purposeful cut in public safety in order to gain funds for his cronies to waste at city hall?

What garuntees do we have that he will acutally use the increase in taxes to fund the departments he claims to be funding? He overspent last years budget almost 10 million? Hmmm Wants 10 million over spent 10 million? Hmmm

Oh and BTW, How much of the Community Policing millage is actually being used for Community Policing? how about the Senior Citizen millage or even the Parks Millage?? And you want to be able decide on another increase for something he claims he is going to do? WHere are the plants he was going to build, the Jobs, the stadiums, etc. I can't help it if people are dumb enough to believe anything he says. I find no truth in anything that comes out of his mouth!
Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:59 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Back on topic with a simple question.
Answer yes or no.
Should the people have the right to vote on the millage?

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:05 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

No NOt on that one.

For the reasons I stated.

If that is how government is supposed to work. The chaos that would create. You'd need some new rules.
Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:06 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: