FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Negative Campaign Ad

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Just a really quick question, how does one find out about a "group" that paid to put an advertisement in newspaper that is to be construed as a very negative ad?

The "group" name is the following: Seniors United to Expose an Unqualified Candidate.

Pretty catchy title, eh? Do they have to file somewhere to maintain a group name? Are these entities exempt from campaign laws? I am flummoxed.....

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:49 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Who they exposing Baracko or Mccain?? since they both pretty much fit the definition.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:51 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Your a hoot TT. Smile

No come to find out that this is a local campaign and it appears that the ad derived from 8095 Civic Drive out of Swartz Creek...I googled and it came up with the address of the library in SC and the addy for the Senior complex....hmmm.. dunno.

Are the campaign finance reports public knowledge down at the county offices?!

The ad is completely sophomoric!!! Seems to be the word of the day, eh?

Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:57 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
andi03 schreef:
Just a really quick question, how does one find out about a "group" * * * Seniors United to Expose an Unqualified Candidate.* * * Do they have to file somewhere to maintain a group name? Are these entities exempt from campaign laws? * * * ad derived from 8095 Civic Drive out of Swartz Creek
8095 Civic Drive is owned by the City of Swartz Creek and is the address of the Senior Center. It is also the address of Swartz Creek Area Senior Citizens, Inc., a Domestic Nonprofit Corporation incorporated 3-9-1982. The 2007 Annual Report shows 4 officers and a director. Officers have Swartz Creek addresses, director has Flint address.

Their nonprofit is a 501(c)(3) so cannot be involved in politics. Surely that's why an alias name is used to engage in the political activity. A quick call to the IRS might answer your other questions.
Post Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:31 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Thank you more than you know, there was a correction in the newspaper. Sounds like dirty politics got a little dirtier than what I'd like it to be...<sigh> Smile

Again, thanks!!!! Smile

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/community/index.ssf/2008/08/swartz_creek_senior_center_did_1.html

Post Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:48 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: