FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Punctuation and bold posts

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Dear That Flint Talk Guy:

You really don't need to write every headline in ALL CAPS, !!!ADD PUNCTUATION!!!! or in BOLD? , and make your body type text size +2.
Someone on FlintTalk and another local chat always uses Bold and ALL CAPS, why must he do this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Those who can afford the most, own the least."

When you're wealthy, showing off how much you can afford becomes less important. Only people with something to prove (I'm not poor!) are obsessed with visual cues to their wealth. You see enough bling and you start to roll your eyes.* coughs --the don-- coughs *

Similarly, people who are listened to tend to speak softer and slower - because they don't need audible cues to how important their speech is. Only people with something to prove (I'm worth listening to!) speak too fast or loudly. You tune them out.

When I see an ad on craigslist in all caps with the line filled in with punctuation, I don't think, "Wow, this one sets itself apart!" ... I think, "I'd rather you be accurate and descriptive, douchebag."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In The Language of Gender communications class in college, we were taught that women use more modifiers and clausers than men (or in general, feminine equals weak and washy while masculine equals strong and direct.) If you have balls, you don't need to say, "I think that..." -- you just say what you think. If you have balls, you don't need to qualify your opinions, ask for permission, or add extra description.

"I think I deserve $70."
"I deserve $100."

"Would it be possible for me to receive $70?"
"Give me $100."

Annoyed by these lessons, and after complaining that the class was stupid and they shouldn't be propagating misogynistic bullshit about what pussies women are, I looked at my own speech and added some balls to my own language style. I'd been taught years ago to knock it off with the audible pauses. (Ah, um, and other noises between words.)

It should have been called The Language of Power, because my genitalia shouldn't have anything to do with how persuasive and commanding my language is. Than again, I shouldn't be able to tell someone's race by their writing either, but there are flags, folks. Is it wrong to de-gender and de-race your communication, denying your self? Or is it smart to use those tools?
Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:48 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Link
Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:15 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

WHATS WRONG WITH BOLDNESS?

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

IT GETS TIRESOME AFTER A WHILE

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I barely ever use LARGE font!

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

IT GETS TIRESOME AFTER A WHILE

Post Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
greengal5874
F L I N T O I D

quote:
LakeWoman50 schreef:

You really don't need to write every headline in ALL CAPS, !!!ADD PUNCTUATION!!!! or in BOLD? , and make your body type text size +2.
Someone on FlintTalk and another local chat always uses Bold and ALL CAPS, why must he do this?

When you're wealthy, showing off how much you can afford becomes less important. Only people with something to prove (I'm not poor!) are obsessed with visual cues to their wealth. You see enough bling and you start to roll your eyes.* coughs --the don-- coughs *

Similarly, people who are listened to tend to speak softer and slower - because they don't need audible cues to how important their speech is. Only people with something to prove (I'm worth listening to!) speak too fast or loudly. You tune them out.

When I see an ad on craigslist in all caps with the line filled in with punctuation, I don't think, "Wow, this one sets itself apart!" ... I think, "I'd rather you be accurate and descriptive, douchebag."

In The Language of Gender communications class in college, we were taught that women use more modifiers and clausers than men (or in general, feminine equals weak and washy while masculine equals strong and direct.) If you have balls, you don't need to say, "I think that..." -- you just say what you think. If you have balls, you don't need to qualify your opinions, ask for permission, or add extra description.

"I think I deserve $70."
"I deserve $100."

"Give me $100."

Annoyed by these lessons, and after complaining that the class was stupid and they shouldn't be propagating misogynistic bullshit about what pussies women are, I looked at my own speech and added some balls to my own language style. I'd been taught years ago to knock it off with the audible pauses. (Ah, um, and other noises between words.)

It should have been called The Language of Power, because my genitalia shouldn't have anything to do with how persuasive and commanding my language is. Than again, I shouldn't be able to tell someone's race by their writing either, but there are flags, folks. Is it wrong to de-gender and de-race your communication, denying your self? Or is it smart to use those tools?

SERIOUSLY, LAKEWOMAN50- GET A LIFE! WHO CARES IF ITS CAPS OR NOT OR THERE IS SOME INCORRECT GRAMMER AND SPELLING! IF WE WERE ALL ENGLISH MAJORS, I THINK WE WOULDN'T HAVE TIME TO GET ON THIS GOOFY SITE. This is "Flint" talk, for goodness' sake! GET A LIFE!

Post Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:11 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Ryan thinks we need to give him special attention, he has done more harm to Flint than good.

quote:
greengal5874 schreef:
quote:
LakeWoman50 schreef:

"I think I deserve $70."
"I deserve $100."

"Give me $100."

SERIOUSLY, LAKEWOMAN50- GET A LIFE! WHO CARES IF ITS CAPS OR NOT OR THERE IS SOME INCORRECT GRAMMER AND SPELLING! IF WE WERE ALL ENGLISH MAJORS, I THINK WE WOULDN'T HAVE TIME TO GET ON THIS GOOFY SITE. This is "Flint" talk, for goodness' sake! GET A LIFE!
Post Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:09 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: