FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee Township supervisor candidates, Fuhr and Myers

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Genesee Township supervisor candidates, Steven Fuhr and Steve Myers, both tout their business experience
by Shena Abercrombie | The Flint Journal
Sunday October 05, 2008, 6:00 PM

GENESEE TOWNSHIP, Michigan -- They may be political novices, but both candidates for Genesee Township supervisor say their business experience will help them to lead the tiny northeastern hub for the next four years.

Democrat Steven D. Fuhr, 51, has managed a local automotive repair business for 19 years.

"I've been in management and dealt with a lot of people," he said. "I think it's time for a change in the township."

Steve Myers, 45, operator of the Web site www.flinttalk.com , is running as an Independent.

"Genesee Township is facing some tough challenges in the next few years -- shrinking revenues, loss of jobs, people losing their homes," said Myers, a former firefighter. "We need new ideas to provide for our citizens. We need to promote our assets to bring jobs to our community."

They'll both have to win over residents such as Richard G. Wells, 76.

"The act they're following is pretty tough, those guys knew their jobs," Wells said. "I am an Independent, and I'm still asking questions, but we have a good board and a good supervisor. I don't know about these new people. We'll have to see what happens."

Fuhr knocked off long-time Supervisor Scott Streeter in the August primary with some heavy criticism of the current administration and some big campaign promises -- including eliminating health care benefits and decreasing wages for Township Board members from the supervisor post to trustee.

"We're still in favor of that," Fuhr said. "It could be a minimum cost savings of $125,000 a year at one time."

Journal files show the annual compensation for the Genesee Township supervisor's office is $70,430 plus about $16,800 in benefits. About 22 percent of the supervisor's salary goes toward a pension.

Myers, who opted to wait until the political primary dust cleared before jumping into the fray, said he's OK with the idea of foregoing healthcare, but sees the wage decrease as a quick and temporary fix that could backfire.

"You want to attract good people in these positions," Myers said. "The supervisor is a 24-hour job. Who's going to want to come out and do the work (for nothing)?"

Both say the township is like running a business, complete with the pressures of balancing budgets. And both agree that repairing township roads is a must.

That's about where their similarities end.

While Fuhr is highly critical of the fiscal responsibility of the current administration, Myers said he is not into finger pointing.

"Some of my issues early on were in regard to the next administration building and fire station, which I thought they spent too much money on," Myers said.

"But to be fair to the current board, they were smart about funding for the new building. The township borrowed from itself."

He's even willing to work with the current board once their terms expire in November.

"I don't think they're the devil and I'm willing to work with them, because there is no transition period," he said. "The new board will have to come up with a budget at the end of December. It's the first thing on their plate."

Fuhr said he and members who ran on his slate, such as former police Chief Wayne Bates, have been doing their own preparation.

"We've attended grant writing workshops," he said. "We plan to seek grants for community projects."

Fuhr, according to his Web site, also plans to promote Genesee Township with hopes of attracting new businesses and residents.

About the candidates:
Democrat

Steven D. Fuhr

• Occupation: Owner of Kearsley Auto repair, Automotive Technician State Certified and ASE Certified.

• Education: Graduate of Kearsley High school, attended Mott Community College.

• Civic involvement: Kearsley High School Automotive Advisory Board; three years.

• Family: Married with two children.

1. What is your solution to fixing the crumbling roads in Genesee Township?
I'm grateful we're at least getting Genesee Road paved in 2009. (But) there is really a lack of funding. Genesee County is having the same problem -- lack of funds. All we can do is hope they'll release some money at the county level.

2. How would you address the growing problem of blight in Genesee Township?
We've met with the Beecher Business Association because they're doing a good job eliminating blight on Saginaw. We're also teaming up with the Genesee Business Association, to address blight on this side of town. And we're looking at grants that may be available.

Independent
Steve Myers

• Occupation: Retired Army sergeant, first class. Owner of Internet business/military Web site -- www.flinttalk.com.

• Education: Attended Kearsley High School, graduated from Washington High School in Germany, attended Hawaii Pacific University, studied business management

• Civic involvement: Genesee County Sheriff Reserves deputy; Member of the East Flint Lions Club; Genesee Township Station No. 2 firefighter (2004 - 2007); Mason since 1986, but not active currently; Member of the Downtown Small Business Association of Flint.

• Family: Married.

1. What is your solution to fixing the crumbling roads in Genesee Township?
There is a plan to pave Genesee Road next year. The problem is we don't have a specific millage within the township to take care of roads. Any money used for roads has to come from the general fund. We need a five-year plan.

2. How would you address the growing problem of blight in Genesee Township?
I'd like to develop a plan to deal with (the problem) by using more stringent enforcement. I'm not talking about someone who's not mowing the lawn, I'm talking of focusing on bank-owned properties that are being let go.

http://www.mlive.com/flintjournal/index.ssf/2008/10/genesee_township_supervisor_as.html

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:33 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

They'll both have to win over residents such as Richard G. Wells, 76.

"The act they're following is pretty tough, those guys knew their jobs," Wells said. "I am an Independent, and I'm still asking questions, but we have a good board and a good supervisor. I don't know about these new people. We'll have to see what happens."

I called Mr. Wells and we talked for about 45 mins.

At the end of our conversation he said he would vote for me and tell his friends about me as well. Pretty cool huh? Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:09 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: