FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee Township vehicle repairs create conflict

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Genesee Township vehicle repairs create conflict
by Elizabeth Lowe | The Burton News
Saturday February 14, 2009, 10:13 AM

GENESEE TOWNSHIP, Michigan — Some Township officials are debating a car repair bill for work done at a business owned by new Township Supervisor Steven Fuhr.

The bill for $5,808, for police car repair work completed from Nov. 20 through Jan. 6, was approved Tuesday by a 6-1 vote of the board.

Township Trustee Richard Burrus voted against paying for the repairs.

"It's a conflict of interest," Burrus said later.

The former board had used Fuhr's company, Kearsley Auto Repair, but discontinued that connection when Fuhr ran for office last year.

After the new board was seated in November, the board switched back to Fuhr's company.

Fuhr said that by completing the work at his business, he was able to save the township money because he was aware that a needed motor replacement was eligible for a $200 rebate if purchased by Nov. 30.

Fuhr said the township lacked the funds to get repairs done in time, so he held invoices until last month, when the township could pay.

While the bill approved Tuesday includes labor and markup on parts, Fuhr said invoices require that information in order to be eligible for rebates and warranties, and he said he plans to donate those costs back to a community policing fund.

When the $200 rebate is received, that will be added to the donation, too, he said.

Burrus called the contribution a last-minute gesture.

"He's trying to go back on it now," he said.

Fuhr said the donation was announced Jan. 17 at a fire department meeting.

In addition, Fuhr said he told employees of his company to write up repairs that were started this fiscal year — which began Jan. 1 — to charge the township only for the cost of parts.

Jim Beelen, Michigan Township Association member information liaison, said it would be a violation of ethical standards if a board member neglected disclosing a potential conflict of interest and failed to ask to be excused from a vote on the matter.

While deciding where to send vehicles hasn't yet been voted on, Fuhr said he expects the board to start looking for another repair shop this winter.

"I can't keep making repairs for free," he said Tuesday.

Local businesses should expect to receive a letter of notification this month that Genesee Township will accept competitive bids for future repair services, Fuhr said.

http://www.mlive.com/burton/index.ssf/2009/02/genesee_township_vehicle_repai.html

Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:59 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

MTA can be quoted all they want, they are wrong. Majority of the time the MTA will take the nebulous route...don't get me started....

Sure you can tout at an open board meeting, "Hey did you know that there's a conflict of interest? But we mentioned it at an open meeting so it's okay for the board to take a vote and get the repairs done at the Supervisor's repair shop?"

Sure it was nice for the Sup to wait until the funds were available and all intentions were good...but for only one trustee to vote it down?...dunno.

I am only going by what is presented in the paper...
Post Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:23 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

sigh. if only flint had a "problem like that. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:40 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

Change the position to Mayor, the last name to Williamson and Kearsley Auto to Patsy Lou Williamson.

Do you feel the same now?

Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

if that was flints only problem? yes. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:21 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
Change the position to Mayor, the last name to Williamson and Kearsley Auto to Patsy Lou Williamson.

Do you feel the same now?

I should have put the inflection of sarcasm on the second paragraph. It's setting a bad precedent...oy
Post Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:42 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
It's setting a bad precedent...oy

I agree but like they say hes only been in office a month. Laughing

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:22 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

It'll be interesting to see what happens the next 3.9 some odd years..Wink
Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:28 am 

Jump to: