FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: social security question......

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
back again
F L I N T O I D

after work friday, i heard an electrician complaining that his friend who was receiving a pension, received a letter from social security stating that because she had a pension, social security was reducing her earned benefits. has anyone heard something like this??? Shocked Mad Mad Mad Mad
Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:28 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Maybe shes making TOOOOO much money as defined by Baracko. He seems to know whats excessive and what isnt. Laughing

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:48 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

You ain't seen nothing yet sunshine, wait till OhNobama starts his "means testing." If you have net worth then you won't need social security. Never mind if you have been paying into SS for 40 years. Ya gotta give your fair share to the "grasshoppers." The lazy SOB that the grasshopper is!! Mad

Pan8
Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

My favorite Obama scam is the notion of giving tax breaks to those who dont pay taxes. It Baracko call what you want but its WELFARE . Rolling Eyes
Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:13 am 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
My favorite Obama scam is the notion of giving tax breaks to those who dont pay taxes. It Baracko call what you want but its WELFARE . Rolling Eyes

Reagan talked about doing something similar but he was just going to the cash payment and eliminate the beaurocracies. We might still be able to eliminate poverty in America if we just did the cash payment instead of having to pay for multiple beaurocracies.
Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:31 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well lets see we now have Free housing, Free food, Free Medical care what else do we need to eliminate poverty. Oh ya a check in the mail every month that should fix things. And of course I suppose the amount will be based on the number of daddyless kids running around in the subsidized housing. Hey Adam in case you havent noticed we are already there. Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:18 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

sooooooo. i gather it wasn't true?? Shocked Shocked
Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:30 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Could be true, LT. Here's a different situation.

Two brothers take early retirement from GM. Age 62 is Social Security's "early retirement" eligibility, neither has reached that yet. Until they reach 62, their GM pension is increased by the amount they would receive from Social Security at age 62. When they become 62, their GM pension is decreased by the amount of Social Security retirement benefit they receive, dropping back to original entitled GM pension amount; then they will receive two checks, one for GM pension, one from Social Security.

Up to a certain age one can have earned income up to a certain amount without reducing the Social Security benefit. Outside that criteria, benefit could be reduced. Details on the SSA link below.

As for your original question, there are too many unknown factors so there's no way to tell if the statement is true or not. Here's a link to Social Security if the original source has questions.

http://www.ssa.gov/
Post Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:09 pm 
pan8
F L I N T O I D

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Could be true, LT. Here's a different situation.

Two brothers take early retirement from GM. Age 62 is Social Security's "early retirement" eligibility, neither has reached that yet. Until they reach 62, their GM pension is increased by the amount they would receive from Social Security at age 62. When they become 62, their GM pension is decreased by the amount of Social Security retirement benefit they receive, dropping back to original entitled GM pension amount; then they will receive two checks, one for GM pension, one from Social Security.

Up to a certain age one can have earned income up to a certain amount without reducing the Social Security benefit. Outside that criteria, benefit could be reduced. Details on the SSA link below.

As for your original question, there are too many unknown factors so there's no way to tell if the statement is true or not. Here's a link to Social Security if the original source has questions.

http://www.ssa.gov/

I may be wrong but I think a pension is not considered "earned income." Please correct me if incorrect.

Pan8
Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:33 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

thanks fellas, i see.....too many unknowns.. Wink Wink Wink
Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:10 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
sooooooo. i gather it wasn't true?? Shocked Shocked

http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/whileworking.htm

"If you are under full retirement age for the entire year, we deduct $1 from your benefit payments for every $2 you earn above the annual limit.

For 2009, that limit is $14,160.

In the year you reach full retirement age, we deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 you earn above a different limit, but we only count earnings before the month you reach your full retirement age.

If you will reach full retirement age in 2009, the limit on your earnings for the months before full retirement age is $37,680.
(If you were born in 1943, your full retirement age is 66 years.)

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you can get your benefits with no limit on your earnings."
Post Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:40 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

thanks adam.... Wink
Post Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:07 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: