FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Shrinking Flint

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2009/03/land_bank_chairman_dan_kildee.html

The above link is the article from todays Flint Journal.

This link is Youngstown, Ohio's rendition and Dan Kildee is quoted in this article. Something tells me that Mayor Brown's remark was NOT off of the cuff, since this article is dated November 2008...hmm.

http://www.bgr.org/news/archives/smaller-smarter/

NPR radio show about "undeveloping" Youngstown in July of 2007

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12026412

Hmm...we're a hell of a lot different than Youngstown. I honestly don't see this happening here.

Why? We're mixing County AND City Government, that hasn't gone over so well in the past. What makes the general public think that the relations are going to improve?

If the people don't move would the city and or the county pull the punches of eminent domain should the monetary incentives not work to move people out of their homes...like Dave and others that have lived in their dwellings for 35+ years?

What about police and fire responsibilities? Just because the demolished homes are greenspace with this project, are city fire departments adept at grass fires? Do the city police know how to handle wildlife? Not demeaning anyone, just cognizant of the rural and urban differences within departments.

How do you find a dwelling suitable for another family that wants to stay in the area where their schools are located.

Schools would have to be in on the plans too due to the shift in populations, how is the city/county going to conduct business with FPS, hasn't gone too well in the last 35+ years.

How is this not going to be fraught with racial diviseness, due to the fact that the majority of Flint is comprised of African Americans?

Are there going to be any plans for tax incentives for grocery stores to move where the people move to?

MTA would have to be in on the planning to due to the fact that it would not be feasible to have routes where no one lives.

Who would own the property that is being demolished and will turn into greenspaces?

This is why government should not be in the real estate business....
Post Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:23 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I don't believe for a minute that it was an off the cuff remark. It's possible there's a move afoot to switch to a metropolitan form of government - combine city government with the county. EMS to the county, concentrating resources in some parts of the city while ignoring others, Brown's & Kildee's remarks, etc.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:17 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Lets see if I get this right??Someone has a plan to offer some residents 50 grand for a home valued at $4000?? This is a money saving plan?? And the multitude of $50,000 checks are going to come from where. Is this hidden somewhere in Barackos stimulatin plan?? If a slumlord owns 20 rat infested homes in Flint will he suddenly come into enough dollars to retire to a luxury condo in Acapulco. Is this another plan by liberal Democrats to once again prove how inept they can be with someone elses money?? Lots of questions. Laughing Laughing Laughing This whole thing is a joke right??? Someone thinks its april 1st already. Laughing
Post Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:16 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: