FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Genesee TEA Party plans campaign against Hurley millage

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Genesee Taxed Enough Already Party, or TEA Party, held the event to kick off a new group, the Committee Against Tax Increases, which intends to campaign against the Hurley Medical Center millage proposal on the Aug. 4 ballot.

The 0.9-mill countywide millage for Hurley would generate $10 million per year for the next 10 years. The owner of a $100,000 home would pay an extra $45 per year in property taxes if it passes.

http://www.geneseeteaparty.org/

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:21 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What no new taxes?? oh baby the libs around here aint gonna like that. Mad

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:35 am 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

FACT: The New Millage seeks to increase tax revenue by $10,000,000 per year over the next 10 years. In other words, Genesee County Homeowners are footing the $100 million bill.

FACT: A Health Care Service Millage was just passed in 2006. Sound familiar? Need more money, get it from the complacent tax payers.

FACT: In 2008, Hurley made a profit of $2,900,000...and yes, of course, bonuses were paid.

FACT: The City of Flint OWNS Hurley.

FACT: The Mayor of Flint appoints the Board Members. In other words, Flint chooses the representatives who decide how YOUR money will be spent.

FACT: It is anticipated many more Flint residents will turn out to vote than other communities because they have a mayoral race whereas the rest of the county has nothing to entice voters to cast their ballot against this. How convenient.

FACT: Hurley agreed to pay the $200,000 cost of producing the ballots for those communities who have no other scheduled elections. ($200k for $100M? Wouldn't you?)

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

****FACT: The Mayor of Flint appoints the Board Members. In other words, Flint chooses the representatives who decide how YOUR money will be spent.****

Ah...taxation without representation...gotta love it. Don't people remember history? <sigh>
Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:17 pm 
Josh Freeman
F L I N T O I D

Thank God this City hospital doesn't require a residency card before treatment.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:44 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

They are sneaking it on the ballot and it will not be voted on fairly.

Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

hurley actually made a profit??? Shocked Shocked Shocked

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:22 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Genesys moving forward with layoff plans for nurses

GRAND BLANC TOWNSHIP, Michigan — Genesys Regional Medical Center is moving forward with plans to lay off than half of the licensed practicing nurses on staff — and replace them with nursing assistants — unless their union can win a last minute reprieve, reports WNEM (Channel 5). According to the report, 54 nurses will receive pink slips next week.

According to past Flint Journal reports, a notice was sent to employees May 12 informing them of a "workforce adjustment" due to changes in business conditions.

With a third of the 87 licensed practical nurses keeping their jobs, those remaining will no longer be at the patients' bedsides but being trained to do other jobs, said Nina Bugbee, Teamsters Local 332 president.
"It's a permanent elimination that they are framing as layoffs," she said. "It is an intended change in the care model."

A Genesys spokeswoman declined comment on the layoffs and their specifics, citing collective bargaining agreements.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:13 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.flinttalk.com/posting.php?mode=quote&p=45633
quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

Originally posted on Mlive by Hopeforward, 7/8/09 13:25 ET [/url]

How much more money can Genesys expect to save after eliminating many of their staff?

Now they are going to cut the ER hours at the East and West flint campuses which leaves nowhere for Burton, Davison and surrounding residence any kind of ER facility unless you want to drive all the way to Grand Blanc.

What's worse is that Genesys has not even announced this cut in their hours. I don't know about you, but I know several people who have used this facility before 11:00a.m and after 10:00p.m when their doctor is unavailable, on the weekends or when they simply could not make it all the way to Grand Blanc.

If anyone wishes to voice their concern please contact Diane Thompson (810)606-6783.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:14 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

For the record

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:15 pm

quote:
Adam schreef:
I'm pretty sure this WILL and not could hurt area hospitals. I'm sure it Will hurt most local businesses. I feel like chicken little yelling the sky is falling with no one listening but I do see rough times ahead. Sad I'm glad for Lapeer as it seems like they are at least trying to get jobs and having some success. I do not see Flint currently even trying or having any success. Lapeer is under a blanket enterprise zone for new and expanding business. There's a lot of things Flint could do but is not doing. This could add to the crisis we are facing. 4,000 workers times 50,000 a year salaries = $200,000,000 taken out of the local economy.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-37/1153147822104580.xml&coll=5

GENESEE COUNTY - What was good news for struggling General Motors and Delphi Corp. could create a crisis for Flint-area hospitals.

The automotive industry companies plan to save money by shedding 4,678 local workers through retirements and buyouts, but that exodus could wipe out a chunk of paying patients for doctors and hospitals.

"It's not a crisis yet, but it's definitely something to be concerned about," said Stephen Skorcz, president of the Greater Flint Health Coalition. "It's true: GM is still the backbone of the hospital business."

Hospitals are bracing for the fallout, considering GM spends $433 million a year on health care in Genesee County.

Genesys Regional Medical Center took the buyouts into account when setting its goal of a 1.8 percent profit in the fiscal year starting July 1, said hospital spokeswoman Cindy Ficorelli.

Hurley Medical Center expects to lose money again in 2007 and laid off dozens of workers effective June 30.

McLaren Regional Medical Center ends its fiscal year Sept. 30 and is making money, said spokeswoman Laurie Prochazka, but numbers were not immediately available.

"The issue of why doctors have been attracted to Genesee County," and the financial health of hospitals, are linked "with the rich benefits of the auto industry," said Skorcz, who said the health coalition will monitor the ramifications of the GM buyouts.

GM reports that as much as $1,500 is added to the price of each vehicle to cover health care costs for workers. That figure is much higher than that of other car companies, such as Ford at $1,300 and Toyota and Honda at $200 or less.

Company-backed health benefits are one of the things workers taking the buyouts of $70,000 to $140,000, depending on years of service, had to give up.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:17 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:

FACT: The New Millage seeks to increase tax revenue by $10,000,000 per year over the next 10 years. In other words, Genesee County Homeowners are footing the $100 million bill.

FACT: A Health Care Service Millage was just passed in 2006. Sound familiar? Need more money, get it from the complacent tax payers.

FACT: In 2008, Hurley made a profit of $2,900,000...and yes, of course, bonuses were paid.

FACT: The City of Flint OWNS Hurley.

FACT: The Mayor of Flint appoints the Board Members. In other words, Flint chooses the representatives who decide how YOUR money will be spent.

FACT: It is anticipated many more Flint residents will turn out to vote than other communities because they have a mayoral race whereas the rest of the county has nothing to entice voters to cast their ballot against this. How convenient.

FACT: Hurley agreed to pay the $200,000 cost of producing the ballots for those communities who have no other scheduled elections. ($200k for $100M? Wouldn't you?)

Opinion: Our county commisioners need to be repplaced along with the state reps and federal officials who prioritize things like hospitals in foreign countries new police barrakcs and shutting down ambulances over childrens health.

Opinion: Our county commissioners and local voters need to be better educated.

Fact: Hurley has struggled in recent past and for profit hospitals are currently strugling.

Fact: Hurley does service more than just Flint residents.

Fact: Hurley is the best/only childrens hospital in Genesee County.

Opinion: This millage is being conducted in a shady manner as are many other ones.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:25 pm 
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

AUGUST 4, 2009 PRIMARY ELECTION PROPOSAL
GENESEEE COUNTY MILLAGE
FOR HEALTH CARE SERVICES
AT HURLEY MEDICAL CENTER
Shall the limitation on the total amount of taxes which may be imposed against all taxable property by Genesee County be increased by a new additional millage of 0.9 mill ($0.90 on each $1,000 of taxable valuation) for a period of ten (10) years, 2009 through 2018 inclusive, for the purpose of supporting services to prevent disease, prolong life, and promote the public health through obtaining the continuous provision by Hurley Medical Center of health care services including, but not limited to, trauma, Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), pediatric, burn, senior, and community health care services, for residents of Genesee County, including, but not limited to, uninsured, underinsured, and low-income residents, such services to be obtained by the County through the County Health Department, by a contract between the County Health Department and Hurley Medical Center (estimated to provide revenue of $10,247,471 in the first year of the authorized levy subject to the tax capture provisions identified below)?
Yes ( )
No ( )
In Genesee County there are local authorities that capture and use for authorized purposes tax increment revenues from property taxes levied by the County. Such capture would include a portion of the new millage levy. The total amount of captured tax increment revenues from such millage in the first calendar year of the levy is estimated to be $201,727. The following such local authorities presently are expected to capture and receive disbursement of a portion of the County’s property tax levy: City of Fenton’s Downtown Development Authority and Local Development Finance Authority, City of Davison’s Downtown Development Authority and Local Development Finance Authority, City of Clio Downtown Development Authority (for the Clio Tax Increment Finance Authority), City of Montrose Downtown Development Authority, City of Swartz Creek Downtown Development Authority, City of Grand Blanc Downtown Development Authority, City of Flint Downtown Development Authority, Vienna Township Business Development Area, Davison Township Downtown Development Authority, Genesee County’s Brownfield Redevelopment Authority and Land Bank Authority, Village of Otisville Downtown Development Authority, Village of Lennon Downtown Development Authority, and Village of Otter Lake Downtown Development Authority. Other such local authorities could be created in the future.

Post Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: