FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Dems disenfranchising the military

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

One of the most unseemly displays of the 2000 election was the disgusting sight of Al Gore's lawyers high-fiving each other after disqualifying hundreds of military ballots on minor technicalities.

In 2004 and 2008, the Democrat governors of the states of Washington and Pennsylvania also did their best to make sure active duty soldiers did not receive absentee ballots in time to vote.

And, just this week, the state of Virginia --- whose governor also happens to be the chairman of the Democrat National Committee --- went to court to disenfranchise military voters in that state's upcoming elections.

The Virginia State Board of Elections argued in their most recent filing that they have no legal obligation to send out military absentee ballots in a timely manner. Restated, the State of Virginia has argued in a federal court filing that they can legally send out absentee ballots to active duty soldiers the day before an election. Restated again, the Democratic Chairwoman of the Virginia State Board of Election (appointed by the Democratic National Committee Chair Tim Kaine, in his capacity as Virginia Governor) Jean Cunningham just claimed a legal basis for massively raising the barrier to voting for soldiers at war.

Disgusting, but this is how Democrats operate. They oppose common sense ID requirements that would protect against vote fraud, while disenfranchising the votes of men and women serving in the military.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:33 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

and the republicans have never "cajoled" and "jerrymandered" votes before? Laughing Laughing Laughing i'm quite sure neither party is or has been guiltless.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:51 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Backagain just agreed with you. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:02 pm 
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
and the republicans have never "cajoled" and "jerrymandered" votes before?

Because one side does it is not a logical reason for why another side should. That has logical fallacy written all over it.

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Disgusting, but this is how Democrats operate. They oppose common sense ID requirements that would protect against vote fraud, while disenfranchising the votes of men and women serving in the military.

Really, Dave?

Listen:
I understand and respect your outrage. In fact, I am with you in being disgusted by this particular process. It's interesting to me, however, how you focus on the "Democrats" while failing to acknowledge that Republicans have done and participate in the same thing, except with regards to the poor and immigrant populations. Disenfranchising those voters with whom you know will likely disagree with you is a popular political mechanic and it should be decried on both sides of the isle.

This is why I am a major supporter of Universal Voter Registration. Doesn't mean you have to vote, but it does mean that you won't be discriminated against based on your group identity. UVR would alleviate not only those problems but all the issues that the Republicans had with ACORN and other social movement organizations registering voters.. except of course that it would mean that the poor would have no chance of being denied. The same goes for Dems - it would resolve any issues of them having to defend these organizations, except that parties they aren't fond of would also have access to vote. It should come as no surprise that there really aren't any representatives amongst the Dems or Repubs who have suggested or believe in this concept.

It's all political theater.

Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:21 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

don't recall saying it was right domet......

thats american politics, it'll always be that way.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:07 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Universal registration? As in no need to verify your citizenship or place of residence? So people could vote in every precinct on election day?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:24 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Domet
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
As in no need to verify your citizenship or place of residence?

No, as in if you are a US citizen, when you turn 18 there is a system in place which automatically puts you into the voter rolls, based on information on where the SoS or other equivalent bodies have you located. It can be adjusted, just as it is now, by going to the SoS and registering a new address. There are multiple ways a UVR system could be implemented - some have suggested implementing Selective Service for all US citizens and activating your registration at the time of your SS registration. There is nothing in UVR programs which provide non-citizens with the right to vote, it's a system aimed at ensuring all US citizens are on the rolls to begin with.

Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:55 am 
back again
F L I N T O I D

thats a great idea!!!!

P.Y.
Post Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:38 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: