FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Meanwhile, in the 5th ward........
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

NOTE: ALL OPINIONS IN THIS AND SUBSEQUENT POSTS ARE MINE, AND MINE ALONE.

I received a piece of Bernard Lawler's campaign literature, and it reised more questions than it provided answers. So, I'll go over them point by point. Quotes from his flyer are in bold.

Proven leadership: Chairman of the Northeast Village Citizen's District Council and the Northeast Village Business District Association.
That's in the THIRD ward; what's he done in the fifth?

Taking direct, aggressive action to battle the senseless bloodshed occurring among the youth in our community. (I have taken the initiative to lead a "stop the violence" motorcade and rally, and I have taken the lead in developing the Brothers Battling Bloodshed project, a rites of passage program aimed at steering young males onto the proper course).
What does a motorcade and rally accomplish, other than making people feel good for a few minutes? Has he lobbied City Hall for more police officers in the 5th ward? Has he scheduled a crime prevention conference like the one hosted by Lynne Waybright on Oct. 17? This conference, at the Joy Tabernacle Church at Dayton & Chevrolet at 1pm, features a nationally known expert on crime prevention. Has Mr. Lawler formed a phone chain to notify people of reports of serious crimes in their neighborhoods heard on a police scanner? Lynne Waybright has.

Pushing for a more aggressive demolition program to fight the blight in our ward. I will be working on strategies to do more with less.
What are these strategies? Federal & State environmental rules add to the cost of demolitions.

Developing workable solutions to occupying the vacant land caused by demolition. (I will be exploring ways to attract investors to build on those lots).
Exploring ways? All of these are full of promises to do something, but no concrete plans.

Developing innovative ways to ensure public safety without compromising the City's meager resources. (It's a given our police force will be smaller, I will develop innovative ways to make it mightier).
Why is it a given that the police force will be smaller? Why is public safety the first thing to be cut? Do we need a "mightier" police force, or one that's more effective?

Advocate the work of supporting existing businesses and creating new businesses in the City Of Flint.
Advocate the work, or DO the work? Businesses in the 5th ward, or in the 3rd, where all of his work has been dome to date?

More 5th ward politics to come later.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:16 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
What does a motorcade and rally accomplish, other than making people feel good for a few minutes?

Typical lib feel good crap dosent matter if it is effective its the fact they care. Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:37 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I'm also looking at evidence of a possible attempt to violate the Hatch Act, failure to file campaign finance reports, & use of School property for a political event. I'll post it here when I verify the information I have.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
back again
F L I N T O I D

i'm sorry and i certainly mean nothing personal but..............................who writes this crap??????

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:33 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

If you mean the stuff in bold, Lawler's campaign people. If you mean the other, I did. if you mean my second post, I have documentation that appears to prove the allegations. I also have pictures of the Cook school event.

Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:56 pm 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

I gots friends in the 5th ward and they say they don't know this Lynn woman. I don't see any signs for her or ads or anything.

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
NOTE: ALL OPINIONS IN THIS AND SUBSEQUENT POSTS ARE MINE, AND MINE ALONE.

I received a piece of Bernard Lawler's campaign literature, and it reised more questions than it provided answers. So, I'll go over them point by point. Quotes from his flyer are in bold.

Proven leadership: Chairman of the Northeast Village Citizen's District Council and the Northeast Village Business District Association.
That's in the THIRD ward; what's he done in the fifth?

Taking direct, aggressive action to battle the senseless bloodshed occurring among the youth in our community. (I have taken the initiative to lead a "stop the violence" motorcade and rally, and I have taken the lead in developing the Brothers Battling Bloodshed project, a rites of passage program aimed at steering young males onto the proper course).
What does a motorcade and rally accomplish, other than making people feel good for a few minutes? Has he lobbied City Hall for more police officers in the 5th ward? Has he scheduled a crime prevention conference like the one hosted by Lynne Waybright on Oct. 17? This conference, at the Joy Tabernacle Church at Dayton & Chevrolet at 1pm, features a nationally known expert on crime prevention. Has Mr. Lawler formed a phone chain to notify people of reports of serious crimes in their neighborhoods heard on a police scanner? Lynne Waybright has.

Pushing for a more aggressive demolition program to fight the blight in our ward. I will be working on strategies to do more with less.
What are these strategies? Federal & State environmental rules add to the cost of demolitions.

Developing workable solutions to occupying the vacant land caused by demolition. (I will be exploring ways to attract investors to build on those lots).
Exploring ways? All of these are full of promises to do something, but no concrete plans.

Developing innovative ways to ensure public safety without compromising the City's meager resources. (It's a given our police force will be smaller, I will develop innovative ways to make it mightier).
Why is it a given that the police force will be smaller? Why is public safety the first thing to be cut? Do we need a "mightier" police force, or one that's more effective?

Advocate the work of supporting existing businesses and creating new businesses in the City Of Flint.
Advocate the work, or DO the work? Businesses in the 5th ward, or in the 3rd, where all of his work has been dome to date?

More 5th ward politics to come later.
Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:47 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

the stuff in bold.....i've never heard of him and i've lived in flint damn near 60 years!

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:08 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Lakewoman, tell them to come to the Crime prevention Conference this Saturday at 1pm & they can meet her. It's at the Joy Tabernacle Church on the corner of Dayton & Chevrolet.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:29 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
the stuff in bold.....i've never heard of him and i've lived in flint damn near 60 years!

We have friends that live in University Park, where he does, and they've never heard of him, either.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:30 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Until this election, Mr. Lawler has ignored the 5th Ward and spent his time in the 3rd Ward. He is a member of the Northeast Village Citizens District Council & Business District Association, and the North Saginaw Business District Association, which partners with the Northeast Village Community Development Council.
Mr. Lawler is an employee of the State of Michigan Department of Human Services, and as such, is subject to the Hatch Act, and other State and Federal laws regarding the political activities of State employees. Among other things, these laws prohibit the use of State time, materials and other resources for political activities.
In September of 2007, Mr. Lawler emailed Flint’s Department of Community Economic Development (DCED), requesting that they mail out a flyer and agenda that included information to “Come Meet and Greet the Mayoral Candidate Dayne Walling” at a September 14, 2007 meeting. This flyer was faxed from a State of Michigan fax and he used his state address, both actions are illegal. The Flint DCED informed Mr. Lawler that doing this would be a violation of the Hatch Act, which prohibits using federal funds for political activities. The DCED is funded with federal funds, as is the North Saginaw Business District. The DCED uses federal funds, and assigns staff to attend these meetings and mail out meeting notices. However, since meeting and greeting a candidate is a political activity, federal law bars them from using any resources to promote this activity.
When City staff refused to mail out the flyers or attend the meeting, stating it would violate federal laws, Gary Byas, through Mr. Lawler filed a complaint with the Flint Ombudsman’s office. The Ombudsman ruled that the City was correct in not mailing out the material Mr. Lawler requested.
As a State Employee, Mr. Lawler must have had some training in the Hatch Act, and other laws concerning political activities by Government employees. Evidentially, he feels these laws do not apply to him. It would also be a violation to perform political work on state time or using state communication equipment. That means that during work hours, residents will not be able to contact their councilperson. Don’t you deserve a councilperson that is available full time?
Also, as a full time State Employee, and being involved in the Northeast Village Citizens District Council & Business District Association, and the North Saginaw Business District Association, how will he find the time to represent the Citizens of the 5th Ward?

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:26 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

what pay and benefits do councilpeople make? Cool do ya know??

P.Y.
Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:02 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I believe the pay is around 20 grand, not sure about benefits.

Post Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:52 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
LakeWoman50 schreef:
I gots friends in the 5th ward and they say they don't know this Lynn woman. I don't see any signs for her or ads or anything.

Rather than spend money on signs, Lynne has decided to spend it on helping people; buying them winter coats, paying on their utility bills, etc.

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:58 am 
LakeWoman50
F L I N T O I D

Thats a good thing, but i would say " Rather than spending monies on signs, lynn is going to lose the elections".

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
quote:
LakeWoman50 schreef:

Rather than spend money on signs, Lynne has decided to spend it on helping people; buying them winter coats, paying on their utility bills, etc.
Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Why, because she doesn't spend money on campaign signs? maybe I should say spend more money to replace the 150 she had out that were stolen?

BTW, as soon as I get some info I'm waiting for, I'll post about Lawler's illegal use of school property for a political rally. This is possibly tied to his failure to file his financial report for the primary.
Also being looked at is his supporters possibly violating the laws regarding absentee ballots. This is being reported to the City Clerk.

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:55 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: