FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: What would it take to....

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

While at the Council meeting on Monday. We heard again about how Flint doesn't have a movie theater. Tony and I were discussing how when we were kids we used to go to the School on weekends and watch Movies in the GYM. I was even in the Talent show one weekend at Washington. Anyone have any idea??? Do these things still go on at the Schools? It didn't cost much to go to the movie. There was even roller-skating in the Gym, we could even rent skates at the school. Aren't there any of these programs out there now? What has happened? Insurance too high? No volunteers? No parental support? What is the problem? What happened to Programs like the Police cadets? Is there Cub Scouts, Weebalos, Boy Scouts, Brownies, Girl Scouts?? Have we really changed so much, that we don't have these programs anymore, or are we expecting too much out of too few to do it all?
Post Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Adam

There was also a lot of talk about crime. There were nice presentation by children on what the city should be doing. Lots of great ideas were presented and no action taken. Kinkaid made the statement there is not much the city can do but looking through the charter it does seem there are things that the council and citizens could be doing. Jackie Poplar had an excellent presentation. She interviewed about 200 teens and young adults and helped illustrate the severity of the problem but some good stuff. The majority of kids would like to help the city of Flint.
Post Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:30 am 
ellwoodflint

too few vollunteers
you mentioned scouting organizations etc. I grew up in Girl Scouts. The program was amazing when I was a kid and I have alot of memories. Now, just like alot of "business" organizations, the politics ,money and volunteerism has effected it. No-one wants to take the time anymore. Everyone figures there is someone else who can do the job, but we have run out of dedicated vollunteers.
Programs like these were parents and alumni carrying on the tradition. Now its "who is in charge and has the power" Its sad but the mind frame has drastically changed, even with our volunteers
Post Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:47 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: