FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling's radio/tv show and public safety

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Because of the holidays, the show produced in December before Christmas, did not air until this Monday.
Walling stated that public safety was the number 1 priority in all wards and he and the police chief are implementing some reforms.

I recorded the show and here are the highlights as it relates to public safety:

1) A sgt.is being trainined to work with the civilian 911 center to ensure that officers are eing dispatched within their geographic assignments so these officers have some integrity about the goals they are being asked to take on. (part of the crime reduction plan)

Also officers are to be sent to any call regarding a crime in progress. "We need officers to catch criminals".

The civilian dispatch has been more in the mind set of an emergency response system. The addition of the sgt. will make it also a crime fighting system.

2) We now have our community officers charged with utilyzing "foot patrol" methods. Not the old foot patrol. They will walk at least 1 hr per day, even in the dead of winter, to build relationships and be proactive. Thus we will have vehicle and foot patrol.
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:32 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I saw a short blurb on the 5:00 news about Walling''s "top 10 list".
Balance the budget
Reduce crime 10%
2 cars in every garage
A chicken in every pot
Melt snow from the streets with the force of his personality
End world wide hunger and homelessness

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

From December 18,2009,
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

Currently there are about 10 officers patrolling the streets at one time. Thats 10 for the whole city. One good shooting and nobody gets a cop. The detective bureau is operating like a triage unit at a hospital. They can't get to breaking and entering cases and stolen cars, so don't even think about larcenies and simple assaults. Most property crimes are tossed aside so they can work on more serious stuff. Directly related to quality of life.
Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:05 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Lets recall this guy, he never steps foot in the NORTH END of Flint.
Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have been informed all 911 Call centers have a similar training as Flint and are truly geared to emergency calls. There is supposedly a hierarchy that has been developed to prioritize calls. I don't understand what this sgt. will do with a "crime in progress" call when all officers are on priority calls. This sounds more like the long time battle over control of the 911 Center between Fire and Police Depts.

I wouldn't want a community officer walking alone in some areas of town. In my opinion you have just placed a target on their back. Some neighborhoods fear the police coming to their door, afraid someone will think they are a snitch.

Some areas have no respect for the police and blatantly say "f*ck the popo".
Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:24 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

during the COPS era, our neighborhood had 2 officers assigned to our area. these kats were good.knew who was doing what and didn't allow punk-asses to crowd around a neighborhood store scaring patrons and selling dope. i saw on at least 2 occasions an officer "seriously" take down a thug and drag their asses to jail..i prefer 2 who are assigned to a particular area. it works damn well.

Last edited by back again on Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:59 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

When officers know the people in a neighborhood & the people know them, it can be the best of worlds.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:07 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Walling don't care, this is a stepping stone for his career!

quote:
back again schreef:
during the COPS era, our neighborhood had 2 officers assigned to uor area. tese kats were good.knew who was doing what and didn't allow punk-asses to crowd around a neighborhood store scaring patrone and selling dope. i saw on at least 2 occasions an officer "seriously" take down a thug and drag their asses to jail..i prefer 2 who are assigned to a particular area. it works damn well.
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

quote:
FlintCityMole schreef:
Lets recall this guy, he never steps foot in the NORTH END of Flint.

Well Walling did go to some Ivy League school, so he ain't stupid. Not a good mayor but let's face it, a lot of North End residents wouldn't be there if they had the cash to get the hell away from there.
How long are we supposed to wait to say "okay,honeymoon is over, why don't you get to work Dayne"?
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:45 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: