FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Police Union to Walling-Burn 30
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling and his administration issued an ultimatum to the Police Union-Take 2 furlough days per month or the city will lay off 30 officers. The police response is "burn 30" (lay off 30 ).

There is an anger that Walling maintains his high price friends in his bloated administration at the expense of the rank and file. These cuts on top of the earlier cuts will have a devastating effect on public safety.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:25 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Just received word that technically the South Side Task Force is not supposed to be operational until February 2010. It took this long to find out.

With the cuts and six more officers out of service in February there will be no public safety.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:36 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

there has to be a better way.

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:10 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Per an earlier post by Bossman, there are 10 officers on patrol per shift, for a total of 30. You don't suppose.............

I'm starting to wonder if 700 rounds for the pistol will be enough. But, I do have enough brass, bullets, powder & primers for another thousand.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:01 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
back again schreef:
there has to be a better way.

There is, but heaven forbid they cut their own, or their cronies, salaries.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:03 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Dave just a quick reminder that a pistol is best used to fight your way back to your rifle or possibly extended tube 12 ga. Nothin says lovin like 00buck. Oh ya if you really want to make your ammo effective try packing a little porkfat in the hollowpoints. No 70 virgins for that guy. Laughing

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:27 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
twotap schreef:
Dave just a quick reminder that a pistol is best used to fight your way back to your rifle or possibly extended tube 12 ga. Nothin says lovin like 00buck. Oh ya if you really want to make your ammo effective try packing a little porkfat in the hollowpoints. No 70 virgins for that guy. Laughing

445ACP for carry - 230gr hollow points
18" 12ga in the house - OO buck.
Also, 30-06 for longer range targets.

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:24 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The last round of layoffs almost hit some 17 year police officers. How deep will the cuts go if 30 more are laid off. If you figure close to $70k or more per officer, then the cuts are a big portion of the projected deficit.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:18 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling may have dug himself into a hole as I hear the other unions may have the same response to his ultimatums.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:25 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Walling and his administration issued an ultimatum to the Police Union-Take 2 furlough days per month or the city will lay off 30 officers. The police response is "burn 30" (lay off 30 ).
How much difference would there be between 2 days less pay a month in their salary and a monthly unemployment check? Can't say I blame their response. Walling should do the same to himself and his administration; in addition, cut some of the bloated positions and reduce salaries, and stay in the office himself and work 8 hours instead of grandstanding at all the social functions.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:46 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

yup, trouble on the horizon.... Sad

even a small act of goodness may be a tiny raft of salvation across the treacherous gulf of sin, but one who drinks the wine of selfishness, and dances on the little boat of meaness, sinks in the ocean of ignorance.
P.Y.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:02 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

posted earlier. Walling needs to work with the unions and share all aspects of the budget with them. Dictating to them will only make things more adversarial. I have been told at least one other union will react the same as the police union.

Walling needs to lay out his plan to the unions and show them how he plans to fund it. For example he announced the opening of Haskell and has made many other promises to the community. Haskell has no heat in the half of the building with the mini station, and while the heat has been bid out it has not been repaired. can it really be opened?

Acorn worked to help elect Walling and allegedly is already working to re-elect him. Recall proponents are getting louder, so that may be a moot effort.

Report: Mayor Dave Bing, Detroit's largest union heading to court
By Jonathan Oosting | MLive.com
December 29, 2009, 7:56AM

AP File PhotoDetroit Mayor Dave Bing
Mayor Dave Bing isn't going to jail as Detroit's largest union request last month, but he is heading to court.

The Detroit News reports Bing's ongoing battle with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees will continue in court after the union last week sued the city in Wayne County Circuit Court.

Facing an estimated $300 million budget deficit, Bing wants the all city workers to accept a package of concessions, including a 10 percent pay cut in the form of furlough days.

Many city unions have already accepted Bing's proposal, but AFSCME has refused to budge and says in its lawsuit that Bing's staff hasn't provided it with requested information.

Dec. 19, DetNews.com: Among the missing documents are how much Detroit would save from some of Bing's proposals, such as eliminating daily overtime and reducing paid time off, union officials said.

...Bing's staff told The Detroit News this summer that union benefit cuts could save the city $19 million, in addition to the $11 million that could be saved through furloughs.

The union's contract expired in 2008 and leaders have been involved in heated negotiations with Bing since May.

Bing in October stopped collecting union dues and in November threatened to tear up contracts of thousands of city workers.

In response, AFCME unsuccessfully asked Wayne County Judge Amy Hathaway to throw Bing in jail for contempt of court.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:48 am
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:44 pm 
back again
F L I N T O I D

what is this "safe streets task force" i read about? they caught 4 thugs with guns and drugs. is it a team of police with a fancy name? whomever it is, they don't fool around!!!!!!!

P.Y.
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:55 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I believe it is a joint FBI and Sherrif Dept task force
Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:08 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Does the union contract call for 2 days off ?

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

There is an anger that Walling maintains his high price friends in his bloated administration at the expense of the rank and file. These cuts on top of the earlier cuts will have a devastating effect on public safety.

Post Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: