FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Metawaneenee hills going to be a historical district?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Been hearing through the grapevine that there have been meetings between Wendy Johnson from the Metawaneenee Hills Neighborhood Association and the Historical Commission about making that area a Historical District. Supposedly, she has said she has the support of the entire neighborhood. The grapevine also claims there's already a 10 member panel looking into it.

Gooch???
Ryan ????

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:09 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Ms. W Johnson has requested that it become a hysterical district and the process has started to make it one.
Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:12 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

That is a lengthy process. Citizens should fight her at the state level! Has anyone seen the minutes and the details about this suspicious plan?
Post Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:02 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

A friend of mine told me that Ryan Eashoo, who is on the Historic Commission, said that Wendy Johnson claims to have the full support of the community. I called a few friends that live in the area and it was all news to them. When I explained to them that they will basically lose control of the outside of their houses, they said they wanted no part of being a historic district. I believe that the community has to be involved before a final determination is made. If you read this Mr. Eashoo, please fill in any details.

I drove through the area and really do not see what is so historic about the area. Granted, there are widely scattered houses that may be of historic significance, but those houses could be individually listed as historic sites. That would be less of a burden on the people living in the area, especially when many residents already cannot afford to do repairs.

If this historic district passes, it will cost owners many times the typical amounts to make repairs on the exterior of their houses. Due to that stipulation and the fact that residents would have to ask for permission and waiting for approval before they can do any interior work, some areas that have been declared historic have actually had their property values drop. People buying houses many times do no want that extra burden or to be told what color they can paint their houses, etc. If that becomes the case here, could Wendy Johnson be sued for damaging peoples' property values?

I hope for the residents' sake that if this continues forward, there will be information delivered to every resident in the area affected to let them know what hoops they will have to jump through and the extra cost involved in doing even minor work on their own houses.
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:34 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

The point of making the neighborhood an historic district is??? Somebodys up to something thats for sure.

Heres an interesting take on it, did someone mention low gas pressure?

Going Green Gone Bad: Attention Historic District Home Owners
Published Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Dear Editor,

This summer my husband and I decided to go green. We had foam insulation sprayed in our attic and decided to replace two fully functioning gas water heaters with a new Rinnai tank less water heater. Of course we asked the usual questions regarding efficiency, cost savings, and the ability to manage the load of a large historic home. We were assured that lots of people were making the switch and were more than satisfied.

That was six months ago. The unit ran reasonably well after adjustments were made to the on demand system. On Dec 20th the hot water came to a screeching halt and we haven’t had hot water since! Yes, we have reverted to bathing in a camper trailer after using facilities at the YMCA for the last week. The interesting thing is that no one seems to know why it doesn’t work.

The plumbing contractor states that the unit isn’t getting enough gas (all of a sudden). The manufacture says if it is a gas problem we can’t return the several thousand dollar unit and exchange it for regular tank water heaters. The gas company’s response has been baffling too. Their engineer told us that we only have a “1/4 of a lb of pressure” compared to the rest of the city that has 40 or more lbs of pressure per square inch. Their explanation for why after six months it quit working was simple: now there is a huge draw on the gas with cold weather and the pressure is not enough to sustain the unit.

Even more amazing is that we are entering our 10th day without hot water and no one seems really interested in fixing it with the exception of Tommy Swindle from Alagasco. He has gone out of his way to try and figure out what if anything can be done. Short of improving the infrastructure in the historic district which ALAGASCO is not able or willing to do in order to get us more gas, nothing can be done. After our visit to the gas company three days ago to speak to a manager, we were told that he was out to lunch and would call us call back, and we haven’t even heard from him yet.

Then there is the issue of the plumbing contractor. Of course the gas company says that the plumbing contractor was notified that the pressure was low when he was advised to use bigger lines during installation. He states on the other hand he feels like the gas company should have told him that the unit wouldn’t work.

Well everyone, I’ve got a news flash. Someone is responsible. Someone should have told the HOMEOWNER that a tank less unit might not work in this 10-12 block low pressure zone. The gas company sends a bill every month. They set up new accounts for home owners in the historic district. Either they need to improve their infrastructure or they need to make people aware in writing of the potential problems that exist.

Well, friends and neighbors add the public utility infrastructure, to the crime, crumbling roads and sewers, and the demolition by neglect issues that go without attention until someone finally says enough is enough.

By the way, if you see me coming out of a motor home with a robe and a towel on my head, don’t worry I am not going crazy; we just still don’t have hot water.

Sincerely,

Dr. Monica Newton

Selma City Councilwoman Ward 3

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Wendy Johnson needs to be looked at closely., Salem Housing, David Caswell and the Downtown Weed and Seed too. It looks like they recruited the Metawanenee Hills clan for everything in the 5th Ward. Too many people are being left out and are becoming more vocal.

She and Tracy Atkinson have a common link-FACTER.
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

You can bet that our low-class block club - Milbourne, between Dayton & Hamilton - will be ignored.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Hello Concerned Citizen! It is true that Wendy Johnson came before the Flint Historic District Commission on several occasions requesting that part of her neighborhood become a historic district. According to Ms. Johnson she has been working with a group of architects on this project along with lots of neighborhood folks. Ms. Johnson requested that a study committee be formed to investigate wether that area, houses, structures warrant a historic district being formed.

Since I live in a historic district and know the pros and cons I asked her if her neighborhood was supportive of such a change. She told me that she had lots of support from the neighbors. So the HDC passed a motion to create a study committee, this is just to research the area and see if its historic. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BECOME A HISTORIC DISTRICT. It just creates the process to see if there is any reason to make it one.

If the process was to move forward the public, homeowners and people effected would be notified. Numerous public hearings would be held at City Hall and then city council would have to approve the creation of the district.

You mentioned that you would have to wait to do interior repairs and that is simply not true, we only have jurisdiction over the exterior of the home and not the interior. You may do whatever you like on the interior of your home.

You also stated that property values have dropped in historic districts. Many studies indicate that a Historic District has more resale value than a non historic district. Plus a lot of incentives exists for properties in historic districts. A historic district also helps control zoning and keeps aesthetics of a neighborhood very appealing. I believe that its the residents choice wether or not they want that area a historic district as well as the amount of historical significance the area holds. I want to extend an invite to you and any of your neighbors to contact myself or attend a historic district commission meeting. You may also want to contact Wendy Johnson to get involved or request information from her.

You may also get copies of the meeting mintues/agenda by calling Carol Freeman (810) 766-7426

quote:
ConcernedCitizen schreef:
A friend of mine told me that Ryan Eashoo, who is on the Historic Commission, said that Wendy Johnson claims to have the full support of the community. I called a few friends that live in the area and it was all news to them. When I explained to them that they will basically lose control of the outside of their houses, they said they wanted no part of being a historic district. I believe that the community has to be involved before a final determination is made. If you read this Mr. Eashoo, please fill in any details.

I drove through the area and really do not see what is so historic about the area. Granted, there are widely scattered houses that may be of historic significance, but those houses could be individually listed as historic sites. That would be less of a burden on the people living in the area, especially when many residents already cannot afford to do repairs.

If this historic district passes, it will cost owners many times the typical amounts to make repairs on the exterior of their houses. Due to that stipulation and the fact that residents would have to ask for permission and waiting for approval before they can do any interior work, some areas that have been declared historic have actually had their property values drop. People buying houses many times do no want that extra burden or to be told what color they can paint their houses, etc. If that becomes the case here, could Wendy Johnson be sued for damaging peoples' property values?

I hope for the residents' sake that if this continues forward, there will be information delivered to every resident in the area affected to let them know what hoops they will have to jump through and the extra cost involved in doing even minor work on their own houses.

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:11 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Hello Concerned Citizen! It is true that Wendy Johnson came before the Flint Historic District Commission on several occasions requesting that part of her neighborhood become a historic district. According to Ms. Johnson she has been working with a group of architects on this project along with lots of neighborhood folks. Ms. Johnson requested that a study committee be formed to investigate wether that area, houses, structures warrant a historic district being formed.

Since I live in a historic district and know the pros and cons I asked her if her neighborhood was supportive of such a change. She told me that she had lots of support from the neighbors. So the HDC passed a motion to create a study committee, this is just to research the area and see if its historic. THIS DOES NOT MEAN IT WILL BECOME A HISTORIC DISTRICT. It just creates the process to see if there is any reason to make it one.

If the process was to move forward the public, homeowners and people effected would be notified. Numerous public hearings would be held at City Hall and then city council would have to approve the creation of the district.

You mentioned that you would have to wait to do interior repairs and that is simply not true, we only have jurisdiction over the exterior of the home and not the interior. You may do whatever you like on the interior of your home.

You also stated that property values have dropped in historic districts. Many studies indicate that a Historic District has more resale value than a non historic district. Plus a lot of incentives exists for properties in historic districts. A historic district also helps control zoning and keeps aesthetics of a neighborhood very appealing. I believe that its the residents choice wether or not they want that area a historic district as well as the amount of historical significance the area holds. I want to extend an invite to you and any of your neighbors to contact myself or attend a historic district commission meeting. You may also want to contact Wendy Johnson to get involved or request information from her.

You may also get copies of the meeting mintues/agenda by calling Carol Freeman (810) 766-7426

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Been hearing through the grapevine that there have been meetings between Wendy Johnson from the Metawaneenee Hills Neighborhood Association and the Historical Commission about making that area a Historical District. Supposedly, she has said she has the support of the entire neighborhood. The grapevine also claims there's already a 10 member panel looking into it.

Gooch???
Ryan ????

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:13 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

Ms. Johnson and Mr. Caswell are close friends, neighbors beware!
Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:35 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Mole- Is it true Wendy Johnson is being considered for employment in the City of Flint? If so I don't know where they would put her.

Wendy S Johnson WSJ Consulting 201 Welch Blvd.

Non-Profit Experience Anti-Discrimination, Arts and Culture, Community Development, Nonprofit Sector Issues, Philanthropy, Research, Next Generation Leadership Young Adult Leadership Development
Skills Profile Executive Transition Management, Coaching, and Special Projects
IT Expertise
Affiliations 1. North Carolina Center for Nonprofits 2. Grantmakers for Effective Organizations 3. Executive Transition Management Listserv
Consulting Summary Areas of focus include executive transition management including interim directorships, executive coaching, process and tool development for executive director performance evaluation, special projects and grant writing, and small group facilitation.
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:29 am 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Those historic districts are pains n da asses!
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:00 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ryan Eashoo"]

Mr. Eashoo,

Thank you for responding and the information you supplied.

The interior statement was supposed to be exterior. I should have reread my post before submitting. My wife pointed it out to me after I had already posted. Sorry for the mistake.

I agree with your assessment of historic property values when people can afford the costs and know how to get the grants and other forms of assistance to fix their houses. But in areas where there is already minimal demand for houses and the repairs cost more than the house's selling price, prices are not going to jump up. As an individual that makes his money on Real Estate, can you truthfully tell me that you think that the Metawananee Hills area homes will jump in price if they are made part of a historic district? I realize that these are just opinions, but as a professional in that field, I would be interested in your thoughts. And as a Realtor and member of the Historic Commission, I would be interested in your opinion as to making individual house historical sites versus the whole neighborhood.

Thanks for any input.
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:29 pm 
ConcernedCitizen
F L I N T O I D

[quote="Ryan Eashoo"]

A historic district also helps control zoning and keeps aesthetics of a neighborhood very appealing.

Mr. Eashoo,

I missed this statement the first time I read your posting. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Carriage Town a historic district? I know that Civic Park is a historic district. In Civic Park, the aesthetics are anything but pleasing. Some areas have more boarded up homes than homes with residents. Even in Carriage Town, there are areas with large numbers of dilapidated houses. I’ve talked to some of the residents and business owners and they talk about the drug houses and prostitution in some of these houses.

I would agree with your statement in areas that:
a) can afford to meet the historic guidelines.
b) have local government that enforces the codes.

I would be interested in your opinion.
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:44 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

http://www.cityofflint.com/hdc/secIntStandards.htm
Post Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:55 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: