FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Flint Decentralization plans revealed tonight

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The agendas for tonights meeting are not on line, but there are 4 ordinance changes scheduled.

Resolution 100062 iwill be held in the special affairs committee. My understanding is this will combine DCED with Planning to create a new Planning and Development office. This one has many in city hall fuming.

I have been told it will also establish some new higher paying jobs as something like division heads. There is no general fund money for these jobs and HUD cannot absorb the cost of these positions. The new positions are said to be from $25k to $36k more than current DCED staff makes.

Will walling do with new positions as Brown did with the Superintendent position? That position was written so current and well trained staff could not apply. This move could eliminate the DCED department so all employees may have to reapply for their jobs. Walling can move his cronies in and the city will lose current trained HUD staff.

What do you think Washington DC will think when Walling dismantles his "Flint Rocks" team for staff like Jackie Foster, Wendy johnson, Greg Averyhart, and Tracy Atkinson. Look for all 4 current staff supervisors to leave, All of them have years of experience in HUD. It also fits current HR criticism that Donna Poplar only hires black.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Ordinance 100060 re-establishes the Department of public Works. Freeman may be on to something as he seems to have a gut feeling and wariness about the provision to establish such other divisions.

Ordinance 100061 creates the Dept. of neighborhood Services which will be run by Patrick Gerace. Under him will be the Parks and Rec Division, Forestry Division, Code Enforcement Division and Sanitation division.

Gerace is already illegally operating in this capacity as these changes were never appproved by council. Does this require new division heads?

Ordinance 100108 will amend the pawn brokers requirements to conform with county provisions snd eliminate the need for costly electronic transactions reporting.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:58 am 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

What the city needs to do is privatize like crazy. Why is Flint picking up garbage when Waste Management can? Why are they caring for parks when IMA Recreation can? The city needs to privatize these services so it can allocate as much money as possible to police and fire. Here's your solution Dayne: Cut your office budget, cut everyone's budget, privatize all departments possible, and put extra funds into police and fire. (Man do we need a libertarian mayor about now.)
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:30 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

No what you need to do is stop trying to change the subject to deflect criticism away from walling!

Budget will be presented soon and Walling will find out first hand not to mess with council!
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:53 pm 
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Webs......... I agree that walling is screwing up.........whats wrong with privatization? I have said more than once that walling is screwing up here, the idea of privatization is unrelated to walling. My god are you looking for an argument hahaha.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 pm 
DonQuixote
F L I N T O I D

Privatization is okay if you can afford it. People living on a fixed income below the poverty level certainly can't scrape up an additional $30 or whatever garbage pickup costs when they can't pay for their housing costs or heat! With Michigan's economy that applies to a lot of Flint residents.

Too many persons making suggestions are only thinking of themselves and their own personal situations. People talk about leaving, but there are too many residents who have no way to get out or improve their lives.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:39 pm 
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
Webs......... I agree that walling is screwing up.........whats wrong with privatization? I have said more than once that walling is screwing up here, the idea of privatization is unrelated to walling. My god are you looking for an argument hahaha.

The community is very upset and city hall has been flooded with phone calls, e mails and visitors. Last Wed. the mayors office turned people away due to the amount of people wanting to get into see the Mayor.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FlintCityMole
F L I N T O I D

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:

The community is very upset and city hall has been flooded with phone calls, e mails and visitors. Last Wed. the mayors office turned people away due to the amount of people wanting to get into see the Mayor.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

No privatization usually SAVES MONEY. Usually whenever the private sectorruns something it is better. Example A: When detroit privatized its golf courses, it turned them from losing over 3 million a year to making hundreds of thousands, and with a city contract, a portion of the profits went to the city. Privatization should be done everywhere, we need a clone of Dave Bing in Flint.
Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:53 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Since trash collection is paid for by a millage, privatizing it & charging residents would eliminate the millage.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint's golf courses have declined since Greg Doll left and the money to maintain the courses was eliminated.

Mott had a terrible beatle epidemic 2 years ago . Parts of the course have standing water into the summer and puddle ducks (mallards) entertain the residents with their antics.

It is hard to make money with substandard courses and environs. Kearsleys club house leaves much to be desired. Also at many points in the summer it is nothing to walk into a clubhouse and find no one attending. Pierce is the exception as someone is always there.
Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:57 pm 
1pissedoffguy
F L I N T O I D

Okay, once again I am going to sound like the crumedgon, but does anyone really golf here in Flint? I think the scared rabbits ( a.k.a . suburanites) go to other places . My plan is this; let the golf courses go back to their natural states. They will be havens for wildlife ,we can grow trees and allow them to be harvested for much needed cash. Also these liberated green places can become homesteads for the homelss. We can encourage them to take up residence there by tossing out old pallets out at the parking lots. Bet we would see the first "housing boom" Flint has seen in over 30 years or more! And Flint's only budding "professionals " would have a place to ply their trade and thus able to earn their living. The new homesteaders could plant gardens and fruit trees, the "professionals" could be working away, earning their keep.
It seems like this is what the leaders of the city want to happen. I just did the work of a city planner, a green jobs czar and I haven't passed judement on people's choice of careers. Now Walling, I am willing to negotiate for my pay, I would take 20K a year and a desk in the hallway at City Hall. Send your response to this thread.
Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:53 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: