FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Fires here and Fires there, not enough man power

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Today we had 2 fires in our neighborhood, one houses burnt to the ground and another was badly damaged. Also one of the fire fighters said that 3 houses on Hazelton caught fire yesterday and today. These guys are stretched so thin it's very sad.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Wait until tomorrow when there's 23 fewer Firefighters.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Just on the scanner, Ryan, North Grand Traverse & 4th Avenue.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
munnbreslin
F L I N T O I D

Ok I understand people are unhappy with fire layoffs, but this is sick. Its no coincidence that 4 fires are set the day before layoffs. Someone in this city has a sick, perverted political mind. Shame on whoever caused this.
Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:07 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

3 fires in my neighborhood today! Sad Sad Sad day indeed, we lost two lovely turn of the century homes that had funds ready to start the rehab process!

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Just on the scanner, Ryan, North Grand Traverse & 4th Avenue.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

With all due respect we have lots of fires everyday in the city of Flint.
I agree with you Munnbreslin that this is some sick person and i hope we catch them. We are going to be patroling the neighborhood all night.

quote:
munnbreslin schreef:
Ok I understand people are unhappy with fire layoffs, but this is sick. Its no coincidence that 4 fires are set the day before layoffs. Someone in this city has a sick, perverted political mind. Shame on whoever caused this.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:14 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

UPDATE

About a half dozen neighbors and I have boarded up a couple houses. The sad thing is most of these homes are owned by the Genesee County Land Bank and Hurley Medical Center. We ran out of screws and plywood for tonight, I will be contacting the Land Bank and Hurley tommorow requesting more supplies and manpower.

Post Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I hope they'll come through for you, but I doubt it.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:41 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Marc Jacobson and Randy Conat
FLINT (WJRT) -- (03/25/10) -- UPDATE-- Fire crews responded to 9 fire calls, one of them false, since Wednesday night. At least two firefighters have been injured.

The injured firefighters have been released from the hospital and are expected to recover.

Here is a partial list of the fires: The 400 block of West 12th Street, Grand Traverse and 9th and Fenton and 12th, two on Jane Street, another on Grand Traverse.

Calls began to come in Wednesday evening and continued through early Thursday morning. Crews responded to four fires, all in vacant structures, within six hours. Four fires were reported between 3:30 and 7 a.m. Thursday.

The fires happened just outside of the downtown area.

Investigators think they may have been intentionally set in response to firefighter layoffs due to go into effect today.

The battalion chief believes these fires were set to send a message.

The fire calls pulled firefighters from stations across the city. Grand Blanc fire crews responded to a call for mutual aid.

Flint union leaders fear there will be more of the same as the layoffs take effect.

The city plans to lay off 23 firefighters and 47 police offficers today (Thursday) because of budget shortfalls. The firefighters union says layoffs will mean there will be one less fire truck and four fewer firefighters at a scene.

Flint Battalion Chief Theresa Root says residents should contact elected officials and communicate with them.

She warns against starting fires that will endanger firefighters who do remain on the job.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:40 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:

Flint Battalion Chief Theresa Root says residents should contact elected officials and communicate with them.

She warns against starting fires that will endanger firefighters who do remain on the job.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)

Like our elected officials care? My councilman, Lawler, NEVER returns calls. The mayor (small "m") only wants to listen to positive comments and the council's either hiding or busy sucking up to the mayor & administrator.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Just on the scanner, fire on Stone near University. Battalion Chief said go to defensive mode, requested police for traffic control.

Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:23 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When police are helping with fires they can't be on patrol. Wonder how many arsons are being done by owners for the insurance. We have had serial arsonists in the past.
Post Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:05 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: