FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Walling calls for a "cease fire" against violence
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling went to council on this issue last night. No explanation other than intensive training with FBI and State Police for all foot patrol officers.

FLINT NEWS
»
Flint officials, community leaders call for cease-fire to end the violence
By Laura Angus | Flint Journal
May 24, 2010, 2:48PM
FLINT, Michigan — After a month that saw more than 100 assaults and nine homicides, Flint's leaders and community members are calling for a cease-fire to end violent crimes in the city.

"It's gone on for too long and tougher enforcement is on the way," said Mayor Dayne Walling during a press conference today.

The city introduced a program called Cease Fire that will involve comprehensive training for community police officers that starts Tuesday, training for volunteers, tough enforcement, focused deterrents and partnership with community and faith leaders, said Walling.

It is the first city in Michigan to participate in the national program, which was effective in more than 30 cities nationally in reducing crime, said Walling.

The city is also applying for an up to a $300,000 grant from the Department of Justice called the Drug Market Intervention program that funds efforts to offer opportunities and support to offenders who want to "change their lives," said Walling.

Public Safety Director Alvern Lock said it is unprecedented to see community leaders organize an effort like this proactively, and called on residents to attend the Blue Badge volunteer training that will be held June 15 at Hurley Medical Center.

"We are here together and ask people to join us in saying 'enough is enough,'" he said.

An important component of the program is partnership with faith leaders citywide, said Walling. Flint Area Churches Together proposed the Cease Fire program to the city and the leaders of the organization called on all church leaders to get involved.

“This is an issue that we must deal with head on in a very forceful and direct way,” said the Rev. Reginald Flynn of the Foss Avenue Baptist Church.

His church has already established a program called Brothers Against Bloodshed that mentors boys ages 8 to 18 in life skills and offers them recreational activities during the week. The program will now work under Cease Fire.

“The most important partners we could possibly have is each and every citizen in the city of Flint,” said Lock.

Posted by Tippelskirch
May 24, 2010, 4:01PM
What a novel idea. A "cease fire!"
What took them so long to come up with this?
I thought the last prayer vigil took care of the
problem. This stuff is so beyond stupid, it's not
even funny anymore.

Posted by EnlightenMe02
May 24, 2010, 6:53PM
Are they planning on utilizing more than just the six or so foot patrol officers? How many volunteers will they need to fill in the gap? How will this be funded and will there be enough finances to cover the entire city?

Chicago has been running this program and it's only effective in the areas that have full coverage. For those areas that have no monies available, crime has not been reduced.

http://www.ceasefirechicago.org/faq.shtml

Posted by krunkjuice
May 24, 2010, 8:06PM
Do you actually believe yourself Dayne? I mean c'mon, why don't you get out your magic wand while your at it and have the grass cut too, the trash picked up weekly, and everyone play nice and come inside when the street lights come on! Do you think these thugs are watching TV 12 and reading MLive? Heck no! They are reloading and running free on the streets knowing that there are no boys in blue to pose a threat to their brand of lawlessness! Keep wishing in one hand and hold out the other and see which one fills up faster with you know what!! Keep praying folks, the calendar only reads May. Mr. Moon I hope you didn't have anywhere you wanted to go this summer, cuz you might be just a wee bit busy!!

Posted by shanedr
May 24, 2010, 8:23PM
Training will not help the problem, in fact it will barely alleviate it. What will reduce it is by placing more bodies out on the streets. The more bodies the more reduction.

We are fast approaching the point where it will be necessary for the average citizen to arm themselves, place a white band around their upper arm as a vigilante and start patrolling their own neighborhoods. If that happens it will be shoot on sight, shoot to kill. Which is one step above the "law of the jungle".

Posted by hoghiker
May 24, 2010, 8:55PM
Enlist the area preachers?
"An important component of the program is partnership with faith leaders citywide, said Walling. Flint Area Churches Together proposed the Cease Fire program to the city and the leaders of the organization called on all church leaders to get involved. "

They need to acknowledge that the problem is endemic in their neighborhood and not spout crap that it happens every where, like the preacher did at a recent funeral for a man that was killed in self defense by his stepfather. Killing, gun shots and crime are not normal to a civilized way of life. When the clergy states that it happens everywhere, they are adding to the problem. It makes the inhabitants of these lawless neighborhoods feel like it's ok. It isn't. Why was there more outrage in Flint for the loss of Fire Fighters and not much concern for the loss of police. Is it because obeying the law is arbitrary in your "community"?
If dead bodies on lawns, shots being fired into homes, etc. were to become a reality in my neighborhood, we would band together and put a stop to it. We don't tolerate junk cars and garbage. The north end needs to decide to help the police, rat out the criminals and live a normal life. You don't need money to be moral.

Posted by tdimhcs
May 24, 2010, 11:51PM
Oh, what tough talk from our mayor. Talk is cheap!

So "tougher enforcement is on the way"? Oh really. Anyone that believes training is going to dampen the shootings and other serious crime in Flint needs to get their head checked.

Tell us how it will work Mr. Mayor WITHOUT bringing back at least 30-40 police officers. Talking about "tough enforcement" and "faith leadership" without a bunch more police on the street is a joke!

Mr. Mayor, will you make a comment to the media soon to tell us how this cease- fire thing is working?

TellWallingNo.com

Posted by xman2820
May 25, 2010, 1:09AM
I don't even know where to start because I'm still laughing. Who honestly believes this stuff? You have to live under a rock and be a complete idiot to believe anything that comes out of his mouth, especially this latest "damage control media stunt." This guy has an answer for everything, and has absolutely no law enforcement background, yet "knows" these fairytale lines will work. MAYOR WALLING YOUR MAKE BELIEVE DISNEYLAND SAFE CITY IMAGE IS FALLING APART, AND PEOPLE ARE WAKING UP TO THE FACT THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN AN ACTOR, NOT A MAYOR. People are seeing through you now much more then you think. We know these are more "made up lines" by your crew for the media to "calm the citizens" and keep things in calm. You must really think people out here are completely stupid. We get it. You fooled us. You're not the savior of the city as you proclaimed to be, you're the problem.

Posted by iminside
May 25, 2010, 1:21AM
How's the cease fire working? Apparently the criminals didn't get the memo. Multiple shootings overnight and at least 1 dead and 1 critical. All this before 1am. All city officers tied up on the shootings, and the dispatchers were general broadcasting shots fired calls and weapons calls all over the city. The only association with faith is that we all need to pray that none of the taxpaying productive citizens of our city get caught in the crossfire while all the thugs and dope boys kill themselves off. Wake up Walling!!
Post Tue May 25, 2010 7:17 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

"Public Safety Director Alvern Lock said it is unprecedented to see community leaders organize an effort like this proactively, and called on residents to attend the Blue Badge volunteer training that will be held June 15 at Hurley Medical Center."

Again, a hint of Blue Badge volunteers, but no details on the program. Are these to be volunteers for ministations, patrol, or simply watchers from home? Anyone have more details on the program, and what time the event is to be held? Is the "Blue Badge" a requirement to be volunteer for ministation? We've been promised training for ministation volunteers for a long time; is the Blue Badge training that training?
Post Tue May 25, 2010 11:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

They haven't explained this cease fire program either. Council found out when they saw it on the news!
Post Tue May 25, 2010 1:20 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

"Cease Fire" - ask the bad guys to stop shooting?
"Blue Badge Volunteers" - Remember the movie: "Police Academy; Citizens on patrol"?

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 2:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Heard Lock say that there will be 9 community policing officers on each shift. What will he do, pull them off patrol to walk the neighborhoods? Who will answer the calls, nobody?

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Post Tue May 25, 2010 4:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

What kind of bullet-proof garb would be required to walk into a war zone unarmed? Seems it would require full head helmet, too.

Some of these recent shooting victims are not on the street, either. They're in private residence during home invasion. Are our leaders also going to provide training for residential protection, and give us the OK to shoot on sight any home invaders?
Post Tue May 25, 2010 6:42 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Castle Doctrine. If your home is invaded, you have the right to defend yourself with a deadly weapon. They break in to an occupied home, shoot them.

Post Tue May 25, 2010 7:37 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Tags:shooting, gun crime, flint, local, lori dougovito
Comment Now Email Print Report a typo
Lori Dougovito
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (05/25/10) -- Hours after Flint's mayor called for a cease fire in the city, five people were shot in at least three separate incidents.

One man is dead, one person in critical condition and a third is reported in serious but stable condition.

The first shooting occurred around 10:40 near Jackson and Bonbright. Antonio Roche, 19, was killed, 21-year-old Adrian Clayborne is listed in critical condition and Tiobanni Hodo is listed in fair condition.

The second happened about 10 minutes later in the 1400 block of Bell.

Related Content
Story: Flint focuses on community policing program

Story: Flint announces cease-fire initiative

Story: Family hopes cease-fire initiative helps quell violence
The third incident, in the 1400 block of Hughes, was reported just after midnight.

ABC12 was at that news conference yesterday when Mayor Dayne Walling and other city and religious leaders gathered together to call for a cease-fire.

"Public safety is my number-one top priority, and we are here today to call for a cease-fire, to announce the creation of a cease-fire coalition and to send a message to those who are committing these senseless acts of violence that this community has had more than enough, and it's gone on for too long, and that tough enforcement is on its way," Walling said.

Less than nine hours later, the first of at least three separate shootings was reported.

Police tell ABC12 the Hughes Avenue shooting appears to have been a home invasion. A door was kicked in, and a number of people were there inside. One man living inside the home was shot in the chest. He is now reported in serious but stable condition.

Back to that cease-fire. It's really a program the city is pitching, modeled after others that they say are reducing crime in other cities around the country like Boston and Chicago.

Religious leaders approached city leaders about trying it here in Flint.

"We had five people shot in about two hours last night," Lock said. "That's the very reason why we need the cease-fire to work - to help prevent the things that happened last night."

Lock says he believes the cease-fire coalition and program will work, once implemented. It's not even fully formed yet.

But Lock stresses community participation is a must.

These east side residents who did not want to be identified say guns aren't the problem on their block. It's prostitutes and drugs.

While their actions may not be what city leaders envision, the residents say they are, indeed, involved.

"Like how it did when it came to the prostitution signs," said one resident. "One says 'No prostitution. Kids at play.'"

Another sign says "No Ho Zone."

"When you're in a block, we all stick together and protect our block," said a resident.

"I really think the answer is that you have to take action, just like we did with the signs."

This shooting spree brings the total to nine murders in Flint during the last month, including two yesterday.

The concern of residents, city and religious is growing. The violence is also causing some county and state officials to question whether the governor should get involved.

Residents we spoke with were split.

"I hope it works. I really hope it works because I'm so tired of hearing that," said one person.

"I don't know if that's gonna work. I think they need more police officers on the street," an east side resident said.

County Commissioner Brenda Clack represents part of Flint. At a board meeting Tuesday morning, Clack asked Sheriff Robert Pickell about criteria needed to get the National Guard involved, saying she believes there is civil unrest in the city.

Clack commends the job Flint Police are doing, but thinks they're understaffed.

Democratic State Sen. John Gleason says he will hand-deliver a letter to Governor Granholm's staff Wednesday to ask for a comprehensive crime plan for all urban centers, including Saginaw, Pontiac, Detroit and Flint.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Tue May 25, 2010 8:42 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
Castle Doctrine. If your home is invaded, you have the right to defend yourself with a deadly weapon. They break in to an occupied home, shoot them.

Technically you need castle doctrine to kill people but I doubt if somebody in Flint took out a few gang bankers with a sniper rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun buck shot blast to the head a Genesee county jury would convict them if they would even be charged. Leyton has trouble even charging cold blooded murderers let alone some hero vigilante. The prosecuters office is a political office.
Post Tue May 25, 2010 10:40 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Tags:shooting, gun crime, flint, local, lori dougovito
Lori Dougovito
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (05/25/10) -- Hours after Flint's mayor called for a cease fire in the city, five people were shot in at least three separate incidents.

Back to that cease-fire. It's really a program the city is pitching, modeled after others that they say are reducing crime in other cities around the country like Boston and Chicago.

Chicago has reduced crime????????? Now, they're the model for Flint?

Post Wed May 26, 2010 7:16 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Chicago Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Obama land no guns no crime.

Post Wed May 26, 2010 7:31 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Community: Flint, Police »
Flint police officers trained for community policing; Expected to be deployed Thursday
By Laura Angus | Flint Journal
May 25, 2010, 7:48PM
FLINT, Michigan — Community police officers who will soon be walking their beats underwent training at Flint's Regional Training Academy today.

Public Safety Director Alvern Lock said the 18 officers who were trained today in community policing are expected to be deployed Thursday. After this training, the foot patrol officers will be better equipped to handle situations thrown at them on the streets, he said.

Jerry Boles, associate director of the Michigan Regional Policing Institute at Michigan State University's School of Criminal Justice, said these are experienced police officers who were not going through traditional training.

He said during the training, the community police officers and trainers discussed how officers could build trust with residents in their neighborhoods and reinforced skills they already had.

"This is a two-way street," he said. "Communities and police have to work together."

Police officers are pushed with challenges daily, said Boles, but another goal for trainers is to learn what officers need to do their jobs better, and how they can prioritize to serve their neighborhoods.

"Police do a whole host of things if given enough time and resources," he said.

He said community police can build trust in their areas by address quality of life issues in the community, rather than just responding to emergency calls.

Lock said residents can expect to see these officers in their neighborhoods after the program gets underway.

"It's not going to be something that's instantaneous," he said. "It's something that's going to happen after a period of time."
Post Wed May 26, 2010 7:53 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

:shooting, gun crime, flint, local
Lori Dougovito and Matt Franklin
FLINT (WJRT) -- (05/26/10) -- In response to a string of violence in the city of Flint, Mayor Dayne Walling is putting more police on the street.

ABC12 learned late Tuesday that the Mayor put even more police officers out on the street as a temporary solution.

City residents have for weeks asked called for a city response to the recent surge in violence. Tuesday night, Walling said more officers will be on the street beginning immediately.

On his Twitter page and city Web site, Walling said he took the action to break the three-night cycle of homicides in the city.

Story: Family hopes cease-fire initiative helps quell violence
Public Safety Director Alvern Lock was at police headquarters late Tuesday going over schedules to see how many he can keep on duty. He couldn't say how many officers were on the job at the time.

This is not a permanent move, but Lock said any additional bodies on the street at any time will help the department fight crime.

He said the department will continue to adjust schedules to put more bodies on the streets as needed.

The action comes after a violent night in which five shootings were reported.

One man is dead, one person in critical condition and a third is reported in serious but stable condition.

The first shooting occurred around 10:40 near Jackson and Bonbright. Antonio Roche, 19, was killed, 21-year-old Adrian Clayborne is listed in critical condition and Tiobanni Hodo is listed in fair condition.

The second happened about 10 minutes later in the 1400 block of Bell.

The third incident, in the 1400 block of Hughes, was reported just after midnight.

ABC12 was at that news conference Monday when Mayor Walling and other city and religious leaders gathered together to call for a cease-fire.

"Public safety is my number-one top priority, and we are here today to call for a cease-fire, to announce the creation of a cease-fire coalition and to send a message to those who are committing these senseless acts of violence that this community has had more than enough, and it's gone on for too long, and that tough enforcement is on its way," Walling said.

Less than nine hours later, the first of at least three separate shootings was reported.

Police tell ABC12 the Hughes Avenue shooting appears to have been a home invasion. A door was kicked in, and a number of people were there inside. One man living inside the home was shot in the chest. He is now reported in serious but stable condition.

Religious leaders approached city leaders about trying it here in Flint.

"We had five people shot in about two hours last night," Lock said. "That's the very reason why we need the cease-fire to work - to help prevent the things that happened last night."

Lock says he believes the cease-fire coalition and program will work, once implemented. It's not even fully formed yet.

But Lock stresses community participation is a must.

These east side residents who did not want to be identified say guns aren't the problem on their block. It's prostitutes and drugs.

While their actions may not be what city leaders envision, the residents say they are, indeed, involved.

"Like how it did when it came to the prostitution signs," said one resident. "One says 'No prostitution. Kids at play.'"

Another sign says "No Ho Zone."

"When you're in a block, we all stick together and protect our block," said a resident.

"I really think the answer is that you have to take action, just like we did with the signs."

This shooting spree brings the total to nine murders in Flint during the last month, including two yesterday.

The concern of residents, city and religious is growing. The violence is also causing some county and state officials to question whether the governor should get involved.

Residents we spoke with were split.

"I hope it works. I really hope it works because I'm so tired of hearing that," said one person.

"I don't know if that's gonna work. I think they need more police officers on the street," an east side resident said.

County Commissioner Brenda Clack represents part of Flint. At a board meeting Tuesday morning, Clack asked Sheriff Robert Pickell about criteria needed to get the National Guard involved, saying she believes there is civil unrest in the city.

Clack commends the job Flint Police are doing, but thinks they're understaffed.

Democratic State Sen. John Gleason says he will hand-deliver a letter to Governor Granholm's staff Wednesday to ask for a comprehensive crime plan for all urban centers, including Saginaw, Pontiac, Detroit and Flint.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Wed May 26, 2010 8:07 am 
Derrick1965
F L I N T O I D

Are you kidding me? A Cease Fire? Mayor Walling please resign if you really care about Flint.
Post Wed May 26, 2010 9:17 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

How about we have "Cease" on creating more of these baggy pants gangbangin retards which are 99% of Flints problem. Oh wait more kids more tax payers money well scratch that off the list.

Post Wed May 26, 2010 11:18 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: