FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: FLINT NEEDS CITY LOCK UP

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Terry Camp
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
SAGINAW (WJRT) -- (05/27/10) -- The man who helped devise a plan that is credited with cutting violent crime in Saginaw says what's happening in Flint is due in part to the lack of respect for law enforcement by criminals.

Michigan State Police Capt. Dan Miller is leaving his post this week, but before he walks out the door, he's sounding off on the violence in Flint and what can be done about it.

Miller says Flint is in a crisis right now, and one way to get out of it is to find some more jail space.

"The Flint City Jail was having a tremendous impact," he said.

But Miller says when the city closed the jail in 2008 because of budget problems, it sent the wrong message to criminals and it has affected police work in the city.

"Police officers in Genesee County are not working up to their true potential. They can be exceedingly frustrated by their inability to actually do their job. When you stop somebody down there ... (who has) multiple warrants, or multiple suspensions and there really is nothing you can do with them, the system is broke."

How does he know this? He gets his information from those the police are after. "They tell them they've got warrants and they know they can't go to jail," Miller said. "They push the envelope. The criminals know that you can't deal effectively with them and that's part of the problem down there."

Miller's 36-year state police career will end this week. He leaves with this advice for Flint city leaders. "They have to have an overnight lockup. Something that can get these people out of these situations on the street to prevent stuff from spilling over."

While Saginaw has seen a decrease in violent crime since State Police troopers were deployed in the city three years ago, Miller doesn't like to leave his post with Flint in the midst of a crisis.

"I would have felt better if we would have a more dramatic impact because those people, the officers on the street are working extremely hard down there."

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved.)
Post Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Lori Dougovito and Angela Brown
FLINT (WJRT) -- (05/26/10) -- Increased Flint police nighttime patrols will continue throughout the summer.

That announcement came from Flint Public Safety Director Alvern Lock Wednesday afternoon during a news conference called by the mayor to address public safety concerns.

Lock would not give specific numbers, but says there will be more police on the streets during typical high crime times.

Tuesday night, Walling Tweeted that he had authorized additional patrols to break the three-night cycle of homicides.

Just a short time later, another shooting and another killing in the city.

Related Content
Story: Flint puts more officers on the streets
This one happened near the area of Fulsom and Sloan on the city's west side.

Denton Heisser, 31, was killed here. He was dead when police arrived, his killer gone.

With help from FANG - the Flint Area Narcotics Group - a warrant was sworn and the suspect was arrested around 11 this morning at a home on Pierson Road in Flint.

Heisser's killing is the third in Flint since Monday and the 22nd this year.

In response to the rising violence in the city, Walling Tuesday night authorized overtime to increase police patrols.

"Those of who continue to repeat that this is somehow about the size of the police department, I'd ask show me the evidence of that because it's simply not there," Walling said to critics.

"This is an initiative that we are going to do as long as it takes, as long as it takes for us to get a handle on the situation that's been happening in the past couple of days," said Public Safety Chief Alvern Lock.

The recent string of shootings follows Walling's call for a cease-fire Monday. He also announced the creation of a cease-fire coalition and cease-fire program. "What we are witnessing here is the consequence of great depression, unemployment and a lot of desperate individuals who are tied up in gangs and drugs. As I stated Monday and I will say again, this community has had enough of this lawlessness. Citizens of this community should not have to live in fear."

Residents, county and even state officials have said something has to be done. The concern is there are not enough officers.

Public Safety Director Alvern Lock today said additional officers will be on the streets at night. He added that the city's federal partners have stepped in to help, too.

Walling said the city will pay for officer overtime with funding it already receives from the U.S. Department of Justice. That money will cover most of the overtime costs, the mayor said.

You may recall 46 police officers were laid off in late March as a way for the city to save money.

There are no plans to hire officers back.

Lock declined to go into detail about how many more officers will be on the streets each night.

Neighbors fed up with recent violence say they have few options. Police layoffs have forced some neighborhood groups to pull back on patrols because they fear they will get hurt.

People on Campbell Street say they can point in any direction and find a home that has been broken into.

They have a block watch, but they don't patrol like they used to because there are fewer police officers on the street.

Alberta Douglas' turf is the south side of Flint, where, she says, nearly every house on her block has been hit

No matter how tough the criminals are, they can't scare off the 71-year-old crime fighter who continues to patrol her neighborhood.

She says she doesn't have the backup she once had because of police layoffs.

Given that, she called off her volunteer patrols to protect her neighbors and friends.

Although Douglas said she's not afraid, some of her neighbors are, and some are thinking about leaving the city.

(Copyright ©2010 WJRT-TV/DT. All Rights Reserved
Post Thu May 27, 2010 7:27 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Yes, reopen the city jail, find the money--grants, federal emergency, or whatever it takes. Arrest everyone who has an outstanding warrant and put them in jail. With all the tech equipment available, use one with x-ray vision and find and confiscate all illegal weapons and drugs and lock up those who are in possession of them.

Walling stated: "What we are witnessing here is the consequence of great depression, unemployment and a lot of desperate individuals who are tied up in gangs and drugs." I say these recent murders have not one iota to do with depression or unemployment and the perpetrators don't have an ear for news or politics! They care about no one but themselves. Walling's blowing in the wind, not impressing anyone.

As several here have already expressed, 'ya ain't seen nuthin' yet!" This lawlessness is going to continue until the law locks up the perpetrators and puts them away. And it doesn't matter how many city or state police, or national guards are involved, unless and until you have someplace to lock up the perpetrators--and throw away the key!
Post Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
00SL2 schreef:
Yes, reopen the city jail, find the money--grants, federal emergency, or whatever it takes. Arrest everyone who has an outstanding warrant and put them in jail. With all the tech equipment available, use one with x-ray vision and find and confiscate all illegal weapons and drugs and lock up those who are in possession of them.

Walling stated: "What we are witnessing here is the consequence of great depression, unemployment and a lot of desperate individuals who are tied up in gangs and drugs." I say these recent murders have not one iota to do with depression or unemployment and the perpetrators don't have an ear for news or politics! They care about no one but themselves. Walling's blowing in the wind, not impressing anyone.

As several here have already expressed, 'ya ain't seen nuthin' yet!" This lawlessness is going to continue until the law locks up the perpetrators and puts them away. And it doesn't matter how many city or state police, or national guards are involved, unless and until you have someplace to lock up the perpetrators--and throw away the key!

Correct. Captain Miller stated detainees brag they know they can't be arrested. Pickell had to release 90 prisoners 2 days ago because of jail overcrowding.
Post Fri May 28, 2010 6:51 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Walling wants more money for his administration, more for community development? take that extra cash, dump Complete & reopen the impound lot. Use that to reopen the city lockup.

Also, find the dummy that approved the county jail that was undersized from day one & kick him square in the b***s.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri May 28, 2010 8:59 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: