FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: County finally cuts payments to land bank

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Instead of cutting 17 maintenance workers, why doesn't the land bank cut some of the high paid useless staff they have on board. They could start with the highly paid-working on her 3rd pension- neighborhood liason Raynetta Speed. When residents went to Weiland to protest that she was campaigning for council candidates while working, Weiland got angry and stated she was his 20 plus year friend and he needed her. Is he still doing political consulting?

Genesee County Land Bank funding threatened, county commissioners ready to shut off payments
Published: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 11:38 AM
Ron Fonger | Flint Journal
Follow Share this story
Story tools

GENESEE COUNTY -- The county Land Bank, which owns thousands of vacant lots and abandoned homes primarily in Flint, has laid off 17 maintenance workers -- fallout from more than $1.5 million in new cuts aimed at balancing the county budget.

The county Board of Commissioners is scheduled to consider the cuts Thursday, an eleventh-hour push to balance a budget that has skidded off course because of lower than expected revenues and an administrative law judge's decision that voided plans to give employees unpaid days off.

Commissioners are also considering 29 more full-time employee layoffs in addition to using the $348,500 that had been earmarked to help pay for Land Bank operations.

Douglas K. Weiland
"As a result of this cut, 17 property maintenance workers lost their jobs ... We will continue to do the best we can within these budget constraints, but the effects will no doubt be felt by residents who live near vacant properties owned by the county," said Douglas K. Weiland, executive director of the Land Bank.

Weiland said today that laid-off employees could be called back to work if commissioners deviate from recommendations during a special meeting at 10 a.m. Thursday.

"I think services will have to be pared back in certain areas, but what other choice do we have?" asked Jamie Curtis, chairman of the county commission. "We had a balanced budget (but now) we have to get the red ink taken care of again."

Commissioner Archie Bailey, D-Flushing, told county department heads in a letter Tuesday that they can submit alternatives to the cuts by 5 p.m. today. Among those hardest hit by the proposed third round of layoffs are Central District Court (five layoffs), the Friend of the Court (four layoffs) and Family Court (three layoffs).

Curtis said commissioners would also consider proposals from employee unions. Commissioners have already laid off or eliminated the positions of 35 employees in the current fiscal year.

In addition to the layoffs, commissioners are considering the use of $250,000 in banked cash -- money that would have gone to employee retirement accounts but was recovered because those employees left their jobs before they were vested in the retirement system, Curtis said.

The budget-balancing plan also includes $232,000 in unpaid days off for non-union employees.

Last week, commissioners said more than 60 more employees would have to be laid off to balance the budget unless they found additional revenues.
Post Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:01 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

As usual, the lower level employees take the hit while the fat at the top is left untouched.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:47 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DELETED

DELETED
Post Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: