FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Concerned Residents want Ketterring sorority gone!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Alpha Sigma Alpha Delta Nu-B chapter bought their house at 964 E 6th st in the Fairfield Village area and moved into the historic house although they were in violation of the zoning ordinance and historic standards. Neighbors fought their move and although the sorority won their zoning change, they were forced to sign an agreement with the community that required they adhere to specific rules and decorum.

Each term the neighbors have to deal with problems created by this rowdy sorority and Ketterring has been slow to respond since the death of Dr. Wing. In the last year the neighborhood has been hit by toliet paper,bonfires in Burroughs Park during a dry spell, loud hazings, drunken loud girls, and threats from the male friends of the occupants. These male friend drove their vehicles into the neighborhood at night and attempted to intimidate the neighbors.

No more is what the neighbors are saying. Last night, only days into the new term, the girls started a rowdy function behind another historic house. Many neighbors were preparing to call 911 when one homeowner confonted the girls and their friends and reminded them of the rules. Although some of the girls were the same ones who had created problems in the past, they denied knowledge of the rules.

The sorority was advised they could not have signs, etc on the house and they removed them. Now, instead of flying the American flag they are flying a ladybug flag on their flagpole. Neighbors viewed this as a warning these rebellious girls were going to test them again and that view is coming true.

Because the sorority was allowed to violate the zoning, U of M- Flint has moved a fraternity into the neighborhood, also in violation of the zoning and occupancy ordinances. Flint inspectors refuse to cite them and fail to respond to the concerns of the citizens.

Enough is enough! these universities need to consider the community and nbot feel they have enough clout to just shove these greek clubs anywhere. The residents are ready to fight back whether it is with pickets or a lawsuit to force the city to follow their ordinances.

These girls do not live up to the high ideals their chapters aspire to.

Alpha Sigma Alpha
A Σ A
Nickname: Alpha Sigs

Chapter Name/designation:
Delta Nu-A

Local Website:
www.kettering.edu/~asab

Motto: Aspire, Seek, Attain

Alpha Sigma Alpha’s goal is the spiritual, social, intellectual and physical development of its members. These four aims help to guide members to grow as individuals and as a chapter. An alumna once said “ I knew coming to campus, even though it’s a small school, it would be difficult to meet a group of people that you were sure to like, and stay friends with...I loved all the women in ASA, and what they stood for. I enjoy the atmosphere; friendship, always having someone to help with classes or just someone to hang out with on the weekends. I love living in the house, and would recommend it to anyone interested in joining a sorority.”

Delta Nu Chapter first began as local sorority on the campus of GMI in October of 1973. A year later, in April of 1974, it became a colony of Alpha Sigma Alpha. We received our charter on May 10th, 1975 with eight founding members. Our first official house was on Dupont Street. Prior to this house, members had lived in the residence hall. In March of 1976 the chapter initiated its first pledge class of 5 women. In the seventies and early eighties, we shared a house with Delta Tau Delta Fraternity. In 1982, we moved into a house in Swartz Creek. Members then lived in the Campus Apartments before moving to our current location in Downtown Flint near the Flint Cultural Center.
Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

UD Sorority Investigated For Rowdy Party
Posted: 3:21 pm EDT March 29, 2010
Updated: 4:01 pm EDT March 30, 2010

DAYTON, Ohio -- A University of Dayton sorority is under investigation by police after an end-of-the-year formal got out of control.

Some of the students are accused of causing thousands of dollars in damage at the business that hosted the party.

Things were quiet at the Alpha Phi House on Brown Street Monday afternoon, but some people said a few of the sisters got very loud over the weekend.

Allysa Smith said, "They were acting like animals."

Smith was working at Alpha Phi's Top of the Market formal party on Saturday night. "They were just picking up wine glasses and just chucking them at the bartenders and just throwing everything on the top of the bar," said Smith.

There were approximately 200 people at the party and Smith said many of the girls and their dates were drunk and out of control.

Smith said, "Guys were going to the bathroom, down just in the carpet in the corner."

There were some students who used the actual bathroom but left it badly damaged. A sink was torn off the wall and a stall door was almost torn off its hinges.

Employees said the UD students stole bottles of champagne and they eventually had to call the police to get them out.

Lt. Larry Faulkner of the Dayton Police Department said, "I am rather surprised by this, and this is under investigation, so we'll have to see how it shakes out. They could face criminal charges."

University of Dayton officials released this statement late Monday. "The University of Dayton offices of Community Standards and Civility and Student Development are reviewing all available information regarding this weekend's incident at the Webster Street Market involving the University of Dayton's chapter of Alpha Phi fraternity. Disciplinary action from the University is possible, pending a careful review of the results of the investigation. The University will cooperate with the city of Dayton's police investigation. Both the fraternity and any involved students will be held accountable to the University's community standards of behavior. The University of Dayton's standards of behavior and code of conduct are informed by the Catholic and Marianist philosophy of community living, the University mission statement, as well as federal, state and local laws. The University's standards of behavior are applicable to all students and student organizations regardless of the location of the violation."

Some students on campus told us they weren't surprised to hear the party got rowdy. "It does happen a lot on campus. I'm not going to lie. So I think it's unfortunate that they would do that but, it does happen," said Soleil Verse.

Those at The Market said they are sending the sorority the entire clean-up bill.

Copyright 2010 by WHIOTV.com.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:01 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Southside Neighbors File Lawsuit Against University Fraternities
By Riya Bhattacharjee
Thursday January 21, 2010
Berkeley’s southside is under siege. Or so says a class-action lawsuit filed by some of the area’s residents at the Alameda County Superior Court Tuesday, seeking respite from rowdy UC Berkeley frat boys and their drunken brawls.

The lawsuit, which names the Interfraternity Council and 35 fraternities belonging to the Berkeley campus as defendants, argues that area homeowners have been “subjected to illegal and injurious conduct” by its members for over two decades.

The group, which includes the newly established South of Campus Neighborhood Association and southside resident Paul Ghysels, contends that it’s too late to soothe any ill will against the university, and instead requested a restraining order against the frats to prevent them from carrying out any more harassment, underage drinking, assaults and raucous partying, among other “public nuisances.”

However, Alameda County Judge Frank Roesch shot down the request Tuesday, citing lack of sufficient evidence on the plaintiff’s part to prove that denying the restraining order would result in a high degree of injury for them.

“The judge essentially said that asking for this kind of a restraining order at such short notice requires multiple levels of proof,” said Louis Garcia, a Berkeley attorney who is representing the neighbors. “This is just the first step. We will file another motion for a preliminary injunction in the next few days. It will give more time to the fraternities to read over our papers and file a detailed response, which they didn’t have the opportunity to do today.”

The defendants were represented by attorneys for the Interfraternity Council and an independent lawyer hired by one of the fraternities, university officials said.

UC Berkeley currently has 2,700 students in 40 fraternities and 21 sororities, roughly 11 percent of the campus population.

Garcia said the class-action lawsuit was the first of its kind to be filed against college fraternities in the United States.

“Our intent is for this lawsuit to lead to responsible adult supervision of the fraternity houses,” Garcia said. “If our class action is successful, we believe this will contribute significantly to a safer and more livable environment for nearby residents, the Berkeley community at large and the fraternities.”

University Director of Fraternity and Sorority Life Grahaeme Hesp said he didn’t have a chance to look at the lawsuit yet.

“While I can’t comment on the lawsuit since UC Berkeley has not been named in it, I can say that I have seen a marked improvement in the behavior of fraternities since I came here in 2006,” Hesp said. “There’s been a pretty positive and open line of communication between the neighbors and students.”

Although Hesp directed inquiries to Peter Smithhisler, president and CEO of the North American Interfraternity Conference, Smithhisler said that it was the Interfraternity Council at UC Berkeley which had been named in the lawsuit and not his organization.

Calls to UC Berkeley’s media relations office for comment were not returned by press time.

Garcia said that in 2007, more than 600 complaints and service requests were filed to the police against 34 fraternity houses in Berkeley, with an average of 18 calls for each frat house.

One frat house alone generated 45 calls to the police, he said. Garcia said that perhaps the most tragic incident to result from “this culture of violence and abuse” was the death of UC Berkeley engineering senior Chris Wootton, who suffered a fatal stab wound during a drunken brawl outside a fraternity house on Warring Street in 2008.

Ghysels, one of the lead plaintiffs who has lived next to two fraternities on Durant Avenue since the 1980s, said he filed the lawsuit after getting frustrated with the lack of enforcement by city and university officials.

“Anybody in the neighborhood who tries to address the drunken, disorderly behavior gets retaliated against,” said Ghysels, who said that he had to tolerate broken windows, prank phone calls and beer bottles thrown at his house almost weekly. “We’ve tried to look at it calmly, but UC Berkeley is saying we can’t do anything, the police are saying we can’t do anything. We had no other recourse but to go ahead and file the lawsuit.”

Ghysels said he had security camera footage of a 7.5-pound weight being dropped on his wife from a four-story roof which he alleged was the handiwork of a fraternity member. Ghysels’ house abuts two fraternities and is on the fringes of fraternity row, which encompasses Channing and Warring streets.

“When we go to court his face will be visible,” said Ghysels, who is keeping a log of all the incidents on his website www.UCBerkeleyFrats.com. “They have broken into my house, damaged my surveillance tapes, urinated all over my couches—it’s out of control. You may ask how I know they are fraternity boys? Well, I caught one of them.”

Hesp said that it was important that neighbors and fraternity members deal with incidents “there and then.”

“They should call for police help. Once the university finds out about it we will follow up on it,” he said. “We can’t react unless we know what’s going on.”

In the past the university has formed a Chancellor’s Task Force on Student/Neighbor relations to address unruly behavior at frat houses and even created a dedicated UCPD squad to monitor frat parties, but Ghysels said they were to no avail and had simply led to wasted resources at a time of severe budget constraints.

“There’s a double standard in Berkeley,” Ghysels said. “Cal students can do what they want but if a person of a minority did it, we put him behind bars. The university and city’s attitude is that if you ignore a problem it will go away, but the problem will not just go away.”

Calls to Caleb Dardick, the university’s director of community relations, were not returned by press time.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:17 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

UC Berkeley's Rowdy Fraternities On TV
By Riya Bhattacharjee
Tuesday May 11, 2010
CBS's Inside Edition reported May 7 on a class action lawsuit filed in January by Southside neighbors seeking respite from UC Berkeley's rowdy fraternities.

The program, which used some footage taken by southside resident Paul Ghysels as well as some taken by the network, shows loud and unruly behavior spilling out into the streets, with fraternity members passing out drunk on the sidewalk.

One scene shows drops of blood outside someone's house after a fight between fraternity members.

UC Berkeley currently has 2,700 students in 40 fraternities and 21 sororities, roughly 11 percent of the campus population.

A lawyer representing the neighbors told the Planet in an earlier interview that more than 600 complaints and service requests were filed to the police against 34 fraternity houses in Berkeley in 2007, with an average of 18 calls for each frat house.

Ghysels has put up a website about problems with fraternity behavior.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:24 am 
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

If all they're complaining about is loud, drunken disorderly behavior, then I would welcome these Frat/sorority houses to my neighborhood. At least they don't peddle dope and shoot at each other regularly.

I could deal with some loud music and rabble rather than the smell of gun smoke in the morning. I'd rather find a beer can in my yard than a syringe or a crack pipe. Hell, I'd be willing to work with the students to give them something to do in the area too.

That is just petty crap, and please don't tell me the police responded to any of those calls right away in this city. When they can tell a woman who is being robbed or shot at to just get on the floor and wait a few hours, they do not have time to respond to petty complaints.

If this area was financially stable and well staffed with police, then you can squawk about all the noises and adisturbance the house next door makes. They are not robbing their neighbors or shooting at their house.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:40 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Lets hope you don't use that vein of thought as you run for state rep. You should know it is the quality of life issues that people have to deal with daily that is important to them. No one should have to live with the crap around them that you have in your neighborhood. But don't tell these senior citizens they have to live with this crap when they had a decent quiet neighborhood for years.

This sorority violated the city ordinances when they moved here from Swartz Creek. Were the forced out of Swartz creek? And yes the Williamson administration took these residents seriously and acted as a mediator between the college and the community. The girls male friends were threatening seniors. The director of Greek life and advisor Marcie McGuire blew off the complaints. It was not until the Mayors office contacted the Presidents office that the college responded. An illegally placed dumpster was removed from the premises.

Do you honestly believe these kids have the right to set bonfires in a city park at any time and especially during a drought? One girl was so drunk she laid in the drive way and screamed at a boy to drive over her legs.

I suggest you get another job because you won't beat Woodrow Stanley with that attitude,
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:14 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Channel 5 carried the story tonight at 5 pm. Robert Marias, Director of Greek Life at Kettering, lied when he said there had been no problems.

There is a lengthy papertrail of issues with this sorority.

Flint Journal stories when the neighborhood fought the rezoning:

Residents resist student renters in their midst Publication: Flint Journal, The (MI)
Edition: THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Date: July 7, 2003
Page: A05
Record Id: 0412169437
Author: Shena Abercrombie JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

29 of 39 matches
933 words

Most residents are all for student housing downtown - just not next door to them.

In a recent battle, residents in the Avon Street historical district are appealing a zoning change that would allow a Kettering University sorority house to remain in the neighborhood.

The debate has residents in the surrounding area worried a similar thing could happen on their streets - that when families move out, college students will move in.

Of the 5,056

Sorority's neighbors fight zoning ruling
Publication: Flint Journal, The (MI)
Date: June 12, 2003
Page: A10
Record Id: 0412137453

30 of 39 matches
484 words

Over residents'objections, a Flint appeals board gave a Kettering University sorority the zoning it needs to continue to call an English Tudor mansion home sweet home.

But some neighbors say the sorority members shouldn't unpack just yet: They're appealing the zoning variance.

A group called Concerned Citizens of the Neighborhood blocked an earlier zoning request, complaining of backyard bonfires, noise, roaring car

Neighbors fight to block zoning change for sorority house
Publication: Flint Journal, The (MI)
Date: April 5, 2003
Page: A03
Record Id: 0412046826

32 of 39 matches
623 words

Backyard bonfires, trees full of tissue paper on Halloween and roaring car engines at 2 a.m. are fine for fraternity row, but not for residents in the Avon Street Historic District.

Neighbors who live near the Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority house on 924 E. Sixth St. have signed petitions and hired an attorney to fight a variance request by the sorority.

The house is now home to at least 16 sorority members who are Kettering University
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:49 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This house is now commercial improved in an A2 (residental) zoned neighborhod. It houses 16 girls with 2 bathrooms.

41-18-228-023
Address:
924 E SIXTH ST

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Owner:
DELTA NU HOUSING CORP

6254 N INKSTER

DEARBORN HEIGH, MI 48127
Classification:
Commercial Improved
Zoning District:
A-2
Lot Size:
Front: 8.33 Depth: 362.3

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Legal Description

Sale Information

Ward/Precinct Information

Property In Historic District

Current Year (2010)
Previous Year (2009)

State Equalized Value
86200 92200
Taxable Value
76364 76594
Homestead%
0 0

Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation are
ten basic principles created to help preserve the distinctive character of a historic building and its site, while allowing for reasonable change to meet new needs.

A property shall be used for its historic purpose or be placed in a new use that required minimal change to the defining characteristics of the building and its site and environment.

The historic character of a property shall be retained and preserved. The removal of historic materials or alteration of features and spaces that characterize a property shall be avoided.

Each property shall be recognized as a physical record of its time, place, and use. Changes that create a false sense of historical development, such as adding conjectural features or architectural elements from other buildings, shall not be undertaken.

Most properties change over time; those changes that have acquired historic significance in their own right shall be retained and preserved.

Distinctive features, finishes, and construction techniques or examples of craftsmanship that characterize a historic property shall be preserved.

Deteriorated historic features shall be repaired rather than replaced. Where the severity of deterioration requires replacement of a distinctive feature, the new feature shall match the old in design, color, texture, and other visual qualities, and where possible, materials. Replacement of a missing feature shall be substantiated by documentary, physical, or pictorial evidence.

Chemical or physical treatments, such as sandblasting, that cause damage to historic materials shall not be used. The surface cleaning of structures, if appropriate, shall be undertaken using gentlest means possible.

Significant archeological resources affected by a project shall be protected and preserved. If such resources must be disturbed mitigation measures shall be undertaken.

New additions, exterior alterations, or related new construction shall not destroy historic materials that characterize the property. The new work shall be differentiated from the old and shall be compatible with the massing, size, scale, and architectural features to protect the historic integrity of the property and its environment.

New additions and adjacent or related new construction shall be undertaken in such a manner that if removed in the future, the essential form and integrity of the historic property and its environment would be unimpaired.

For more information visit: http://www2.cr.nps.gov/tps/care/index.htm
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:19 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

How about trying another avenue for complaints?

Office of the President - (810)762-9864 Fax (810)762-9755
http://www.kettering.edu/visitors/presidentsoffice/
Public Relations & Communications - (810)762-9533 Fax (810)762-7435

Office of the Provost 762-7949 Fax (810)762-7885
http://www.kettering.edu/provost

Kettering University Parents Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=118574403457&ref=nf

Code of Student Conduct is in the parent's handbook
http://www.kettering.edu/parents/docs/parentHandbook.pdf
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Most of those were reached 2 years ago. After things got particularly nasty, Robert Marias asked residents to contact him. Generally, since the death of Dr. Wing, Kettering has been very unresponsive.

People who also helped:
Officer Peck of Kettering
former Captain Sutter
former Chief David Dicks

Officer Peck has been the most helpful of all Kettering staff. One of the neighbors. who lives just a short distance away, just had surgery and trouble began from kettering males after her husband told the girls they had to follow the rules. They rolled into the neighborhood with horns blaring and then left before the police could be called.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Aug. 05, 2002

Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority moves into Tudor mansion

The sisters of Alpha Sigma Alpha have added a little piece of history to their Kettering heritage. The sorority members have purchased a 1920s, English Tudor mansion in the Avon Street Historic District in Flint. The home is near Flint's Cultural Center.

The six-bedroom, multi-story house features a wood-paneled library, a screened-in porch, large living room and dining room and classic architectural reminders of a bygone era. ASA alumni and the families of sorority members have been working on refurbishing the mansion and decorating it in the sorority colors of ruby and pearl white.

ASA was founded at Kettering/GMI in 1976. The current chapter is this year's recipient of the Dean's Cup Award, Chapter Excellence Award, Highest Grade Point Average and other honors. There are 16 women living in the house this term.

The home was originally built by Carl and Bertha Spaeth. Mr. Spaeth was the executive vice president of the First National Bank and the Genesee County Bank.

For more on Alpha Sigma Alpha sorority, visit: http://www2.kettering.edu/~asaa/
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:23 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Most of those were reached 2 years ago.
Maybe the "most" didn't include the parents of the sorority members. How about posting, including photos, to the parents Facebook page. Or go to one of their meetings to complain about their kids. Or, check on the Kettering website for where they're getting their financial aid and complain to the persons or organizations who are providing the aid? If I'm providing the education, I want the student to be worthy of my investment! That includes character and respect for others.
Post Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:32 pm 
lacyw
F L I N T O I D

Webs,

I am not saying they have the "right" to break the law. You're right, nobody should have to deal with what goes on in my neighborhood and about the quality of life issues affecting other residents. That was rather insensitive of me. As far as historical districts, they all have special ordinances and conditions for restoration anywhere in the United States. Why was the student housing approved in that district if it violated the ordinances for that area? As far as these young men threatening the elderly, no way. To disagree is one thing, to threaten an intimidate is another.

As I read further on, you mentioned that the Williamson administration took this complaint seriously, so this dispute started a few years ago. I thought this was more recent. During Williamson's time in office, we were adequately staffed with police to enforce our laws.

It appears that the college authorities don't care to intervene. Another poster suggested contacting the parents. Good idea, I was wondering if anyone had thought of the idea of contacting the national chapter of the sorority, just to let them know how their little darlings that are representing them are behaving. You posted their statement, it doesn't sound like they are living up to expectations. Maybe the heads of their national chapter and alumni would like to hear about this.

We are stuck in a crux. Some people are looking toward Flint being considered a college town, but nobody wants them as neighbors where they want to live. Well, there are whole blocks of abandoned houses in non historical neighborhoods. Suggest they buy the whole block or go in on it with other fraternities/sororities. Then they can rehab and decorate however they choose, turn it into a gated community and it's all theirs and not in other people's yards. Just a suggestion.
Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:27 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Before Kettering built their student housing a large number of students rented in Mott park. Now first year students are required to live on campus. I can remember attending Mott Park community meetings and hearing complaints of drunken student activity. Bob Giles, a former resident, once spoke about Kettering students using a water hose (while drunk) to wash out the interior of the home. The owners were in Florida.

The sorority moved in without checking the zoning or historical designation. When they began creating problems, the problem came to light. This neighborhood has traditionally been very stable.

The sorority and their advisors came to council begging to have the zoning variance approved. The community fought back but political lobbying and back room politics prevailed. There was much discussion about the amount of money spent on the property and repairs. The sorority was required to sign an agreement to maintain the historic designation and maintain proper decorum. They have not maintained that level of decorum.

Rhoda Mathews of the Walling administration has not dealt with the issue. It was brought to her attention in 2009 and she wanted the issue mediated. Residents said no, they have dealt with this mess since 2002 and it only gets worsee. Rhoda Mathews was given a copy of the agreement.

Attempts were made to contact the higher ups at Kettering and the officials paying the bills. To the residents dismay, they discover the Kettering official who had been responsive to them had died. Marcie McGuire was contacted and she did not respond. She evn blew off a call from the then police chief. Calls were made to the Presidents office and referrals were made to an assistant. That assistant referred the issue to Robert Marias (early 2008) who blew the issue off. It seems the university thought the little darlings could do no wrong. After the issue blew up marias called and asked residents to contact him.

The house is in a cul de sac that borders the back of the entire 900 block of 7th street. These houses have small back yards and their back fences are inches from the paking lot of the sorority. The house and the area the girls want to entertain in is only a few feet from the adjoining mansion .

The mansion of Rev. Timothy Stokes and his wife is actually further away, but neighbors know they are aware of past problems as they have discussed them. They cannot understand Mrs.Stokes saying there were no issues.
Post Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:39 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: