FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: HUD won't consider grant w/o county's core city involvement?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Time running out on Genesee County for submitting HUD grant
Published: Tuesday, August 17, 2010, 2:58 PM
Ron Fonger | Flint Journal

GENESEE COUNTY -- The county is giving Flint Mayor Dayne Walling a few more hours to reconsider joining in a federal grant application that could bring the area up to $2.2 million.

But Walling said today that he's sticking with plans for the city to apply instead for another federal grant that could bring up to $1.5 million to the city, a grant that he wants to use to help pay for a new master plan for Flint.

"No way will (the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development) dollars go for both," Walling said. "I have a responsibility ... to put forward the application that will be the strongest" for the city.

County officials had planned to submit a grant proposal which included Flint and the surrounding area and said Tuesday that the city could have submitted its own grant request and been a part of the county proposal without hurting its chances for either.

Commissioners voted to submit the countywide application but only if Walling agreed to join in the request by the end of today. A county planning official said HUD would not consider the grant without the involvement of the county's core city.

Commissioner Patricia Lockwood, D-Fenton, asked other county board members to give Walling the rest of today to reconsider before closing the door on grant submission.

Lockwood said she spoke directly to a top HUD official in Michigan who told her the city could apply for both the agency's "challenge" grant as well as its "sustainable communities" grant.

"They have a great opportunity to get two grants," she said.

Walling said he consulted with Flint City Council members before deciding the city would be best served by focusing on just the challenge grant it must apply for by Aug. 23. County officials said the city stands to get up to $1.5 million in federal funds through that grant.

"From the city of Flint's point of view we have been looking for resources to do a master plan for two years," Walling said. "(This approach) is the best opportunity for that."

Walling said he's committed to city-county cooperation in the future and said the best thing for the overall health of the county is for Flint develop an up to date master plan, putting it in a better position to grow.

© 2010 MLive.com. All rights reserved.
Source: http://www.mlive.com/news/flint/index.ssf/2010/08/time_running_out_on_genesee_co.html
Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Unbelievable. Flint has so many problems that I cannot conceive of a scenario in which a master plan will save us.I have looked at some of the individual plans created in the last 3 years and have been amazed as some of these plans have had major portions made irrelevant within months of completion. What the hell is he thinking?
Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:52 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Master Plan......

1. Make Flint a safe city.
2. See #1.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:04 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I see Detroit Mayor Bing is coming up with a master Land Use Plan and he too is looking for a philantropic organization to fund it. Then he states there will be no funding to implement the plan.

Remember how the housing plan south of University and Stone got derailed by Indian bones?
Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:19 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: