FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Is kettering police offer a good deal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

"Walling said the balance of the officers' total cost would come from the police department budget in city's general fund, which is facing potential cuts due to decreased tax revenue and other issues in the city."

The police dept. is already over projected spending by about $1 million only 60 days into the new budget. walling in his annual disclosure form showed income last year from Kettering. Is it true his wife works for Kettering?

Kettering University offer would add three Flint police to department
Published: Monday, September 20, 2010, 3:58 PM Updated: Monday, September 20, 2010, 4:28 PM
Kristin Longley | Flint Journal
FLINT, Michigan — An offer from Kettering University to help pay for five Flint police officers would add three officers to the police force, officials said today.

Kettering currently pays for two officers, but would like to add three more for 24-hour coverage on campus and in the surrounding neighborhoods, said Susan Bolt, Kettering's vice president for administration and finance.

"In higher education, campus safety is a constant, ongoing discussion," Bolt said. "We were looking for a way to improve our neighborhood safety."

Kettering is offering to pay $65,000 per officer — which is about 81 percent of the total cost of each officer, Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said today. The Flint City Council is expected to consider the measure at a meeting Wednesday.

Walling said the additional officers would help improve the quality of life for students and residents in the Kettering area. It will also benefit the rest of the city, since the officers would be available to be dispatched to other areas of the city for the highest priority emergency calls, he said.

"The Kettering University community has public safety as a high priority just like the rest of the city," he said. "Our public safety system depends on close partnerships and this is another example of a community partnership around public safety."

Kettering's proposal is not unlike the arrangement with the Flint School District, Walling said. Flint schools split the cost of their school resource officers with the city, he said.

Walling said the balance of the officers' total cost would come from the police department budget in city's general fund, which is facing potential cuts due to decreased tax revenue and other issues in the city.

Walling said all of the city's departments will be reviewed after the close of the first quarter, which ends Sept. 30.

Flint City Councilman Sheldon Neeley, whose 6th Ward includes the Kettering area, has been advocating for the measure for months.

He said the entire city would benefit from the move because the officers that are currently patrolling that area can be redistributed to other areas of the city.

"Kettering University saw the need and stepped up to the plate in an attempt to suppress crime in the community," he said. "I'm elated."

Calclips

So you will pay for enough officers to have one, maybe two, "dedicated" officers for the Kettering campus and surrounding areas... that will be available to take high priority calls. Do you have any idea how many "high priority" calls the City of Flint gets? Those officers will be gone elsewhere in the city, and you'll be stuck with the bill.

I'm ALL for bringing back officers, no matter how its done, but KU has to realize they'll occasionally be without their officers, and when they get called away for a high priority call they'll be gone for a long time.
Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:14 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Walling & Co. will do what they want regardless of what we think.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Cornbread Maxwell
F L I N T O I D

Why does it cost $80k per police officer? If the national average salary is in the 50k range, what am I missing?
Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:38 am 
Cornbread Maxwell
F L I N T O I D

Actually - I would like to learn more about the cost of policing. The more I read, the more confusing and difficult to get straight answers it seems. Does anyone know of a primer I can read to get a good understanding on the topic of police costs?
Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:47 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Cornbread Maxwell schreef:
Why does it cost $80k per police officer? If the national average salary is in the 50k range, what am I missing?

fringe benefits.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Where does his wife work? is it at Kettering?

Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:42 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Walling filed a financial disclosure form which showed income from Kettering. I heard his wife works at kettering. His other income came from his consulting company and his work for a Washington DC corporation.
Post Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:44 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Well with all this income one would think he would be able to pay his AppleBees tab!!! lol

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
Walling filed a financial disclosure form which showed income from Kettering. I heard his wife works at kettering. His other income came from his consulting company and his work for a Washington DC corporation.

Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:19 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
FYI: http://www.fordschool.umich.edu/faculty/Carrie_Walling
------------
Other: "War Child (2008) Saturday, Jan. 30, at 1 p.m. (92 minutes, Sudan, English with subtitles). The film will be followed by a discussion on youth violence in the Sudan and U.S., led by Dr. Carrie Walling, assistant professor of Public Policy, University of Michigan, and Dr. Benaiah Yongo-Bure, associate professor of Social Science at Kettering University. . . ."
Source: Global Issues Film Fest, Part 2, News Article, Kettering University. http://tinyurl.com/28vwg5x
Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

If the mayor receives income from Kettering, is there any conflict of interest if Kettering gets special city police officers at reduced rates?
Post Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:45 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The council committee meeting was on Comast 17 today (tomorrow night @ 10:30 pm is repeat) and they spent a lot of time discussing this issue. According to Eason, Walling helped negotiate this deal. For a conflict to exist I believe one would have to prove it would benefit his wife. For some reason, politicians can even approve contract that benefit their wives in most cases.
Post Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:12 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

This last council meeting will air Sunday on Comcast 17 at noon. Neeley made an excellent presentation with corrected figures and an identified line item. Definitely something we can do and is needed.

Lots of discussion about departments who can't or won't stay within their budgets.
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:01 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
For a conflict to exist I believe one would have to prove it would benefit his wife. For some reason, politicians can even approve contract that benefit their wives in most cases.
"Walling filed a financial disclosure form which showed income from Kettering." - untanglingwebs

Was the Kettering income to Walling or his wife? What kind of income was it? Earned income for his consulting services, or gratuity for her participation in a workshop? She's not a Kettering employee, she's UM. (See references in previous post.)
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:53 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

It was his financial form so maybe he worked for Kettering. However, I have been told his wife also worked for kettering. It is not uncommon for associate professors to work at more than one college.

He also showed income from State Voices and his nonprofit Flint's Future Now.

Searched for: FLINT'S FUTURE NOW

ID Num: 70269F

Entity Name: FLINT'S FUTURE NOW

Type of Entity: Domestic Nonprofit Corporation
Resident Agent: DAYNE A WALLING

Registered Office Address: 806 KENSINGTON AVE FLINT MI 48503
Mailing Address: MI

Formed Under Act Number(s): 162-1982

Incorporation/Qualification Date: 1-24-2008

Jurisdiction of Origin: MICHIGAN

Number of Shares: 0

Year of Most Recent Annual Report: 09

Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors: 09

Searched for: STATE VOICES

ID Num: 90079K

Entity Name: STATE VOICES

Type of Entity: Foreign Nonprofit Corporation
Resident Agent: RYAN FRIEDRICHS

Mailing Address of Registered Office Address: 719 GRISWOLD ST STE 600 DETROIT MI 48226
Mailing Address of the Main Office or Headquarters: 719 GRISWOLD ST STE 600 DETROIT MI 48226

Formed Under Act Number(s):

Incorporation/Qualification Date: 1-13-2010

Jurisdiction of Origin: DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA

Number of Shares: 0

Year of Most Recent Annual Report:

Year of Most Recent Annual Report With Officers & Directors:

Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Michigan Voice
State Photo:
ContactName: Amanda Stitt / Danielle Atkinson Email: amanda@statevoices.org Title: Director / Field Director, Michigan Voice Phone numbers:
Office: (313) 965-4000 Mission:
Michigan Voice is a state based collaboration formed in 2005 to improve long-term coordination and communication among nonprofit civic engagement organizations in Michigan. The collaboration's nonpartisan mission is to engage underrepresented or socially responsible voters in the democratic process and to establish collective action around a common issue agenda.
Plans & Reports:
Post Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:18 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: