FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Transportation Dept. payback after complaint?

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

When the residents of the 900 block of E. Seventh Street woke up yesterday, they discovered they were the only block in the area between Gilkey Creek, I-69, I-475, and Court Street that had not been plowed. Not only that, some of the snow from other streets appeared to be placed to block clear access to their street.

Thoughts immediately went to the leaf pickup debacle in that area. Signs were not posted and the collection crew was not willing to pick up all the leaves. As they were collecting the leaves and residents inquired why the crew was leaving so many, they were told they had to rake them all into the middle of the street. Seniors and handicapped could not comply and those working were not home.

Complaints were made to the head of transportation and the men had to return to finish the job. This was after they rudely and vehemently refused to finish the job for the residents. Arnold Brown had retired and had been replaced by Mc Cabe,

Several residents observed the collection crews in some other areas of Flint and were angered that these same crews were extremely thorough in other neighborhoods.

We trust Arnold Brown will monitor his staff and monitor the situation. After all, he was trained for this and wasn't a purchasing director brought in to a task he couldn't handle.

Luckily, the neighborhood has a good Samaritan. A neighbor plowed out the cul-de-sac and made sure his neighbors could exit their drives and street.
Post Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:53 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

We knew Brown was good. He knew the road crews had missed this cul de sac and warned them that retaliation against citizens would not be acceptable. There have been complaints that trash crews have been complaining to residents about their dislike of the mayor.

Makes you wonder what the intended goal was when they missed this street.

At least one Flint street remains unplowedSaturday, February 05, 2011
Joel Feick
More: Bio, E-mail, News Team
FLINT (WJRT) -- (02/05/11) -- Four days after the winter storm hit our area, motorists are still getting stuck on at least one street in Flint.

"It was one of the biggest snow storms in the city's history," said Flint Mayor Dayne Walling.

Snow Storm 2011 hit Tuesday night.

"We should have everything back in very good condition by [Saturday] afternoon," Walling said.

Off Miller Road, Gainey Avenue was still a snowy mess Saturday evening.

"I sat there and spun out for a good couple of minutes," said one Gainey Avenue resident.

The residents who live on the street don't like it one bit.

"What's taking so long? We're all disgruntled along this whole street," said resident Sue Jeffes.

The mayor says pick up the phone, but residents have called more than once.

"I called the snow removal office yesterday, I called this morning, now it's 6 o'clock, still no trucks around," Jeffes said.

The residents say motorists are still getting stuck every day.

"I saw a van last night, back and forth, back and forth," Jeffes said.

Nearby streets are plowed, but not Gainey.

"Everybody else seems to take care of their properties, you'd think this is the first place they would come," said Anthony Ijames of Flint.

ABC12 called the mayor Saturday night for his reaction. So far, we haven't heard back from him.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:20 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

I'm certain Gainey is not the only street missed. There are intersections all along Miller Road that are a Hazard. I drive down a side street to get to a street with a traffic light at Miller Road to avoid the hazard. And that street, alongside Woodcroft Market, is full of loose snow, too.

It amazes me how many people left their vehicles in the street and got plowed in, even after being requested numerous times over the media to remove them from the streets. Once they get moved, the ruts they leave are as much a hazard as the vehicle being left in the street.
Post Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:44 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: