FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Rollingwood Crime Watch- a disaster waiting to happen

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

I have a number of friends who are experienced in crime watch training and the media coverage of this group has had them cringing. We actually had bets on how long it would be before one of these volunteers got hurt by the criminal element they were pursuing.

But we never saw this coming. Where is Hudson Green when groups like this need him? His trainings would never allow this vigilante type mentality. Actually, none of the community police I know would condone this type of crime watch, nor would they train their volunteers in this manner.
Ia this the blue badge mentality? When the State Police praise dthese nut cases, my friends and I cringed.

This group should not go on tv and let all of the criminals know their names and faces. Why are they making targets of themselves with those big signs on their cars?

Neighborhood watch prez under fire for firing weapon
Posted: Jul 27, 2011 5:12 PM EDT Updated: Jul 27, 2011 5:31 PM EDT

By Tom Plahutnik, Web Editor/Producer - email

FLINT, MI (WNEM) -
There's a big difference of opinion about the head of a local neighborhood watch.

Some say he's working hard to rid the area of crime and violence, but others say his message, and his methods, go too far.

On Tuesday, he was taken to jail for firing his sawed-off shotgun at a group of teens, but he says he was just protecting his own.

When TV5 visited the Rollingwood neighborhood on Wednesday, one thing is clear - the residents in the area are passionate about getting rid of crime. But has the neighborhood watch president, Mike Drake, gone too far with his methods to keep the east side neighborhood safe?

"I didn't have a weapon until a month ago," said Drake. "I got sick of worrying if my baseball bat would be enough. So I went out and got myself a shotgun and I sleep next to it."

Drake heads the neighborhood watch for the area. The group has been around for about a month and their stated goal is to beautify the area and keep it safe.

Last night, things got complicated when Drake says a group of men pulled a gun on one of his patrol women. He says they pulled a weapon on him as well.

"But when he pulled it out, ‘boom,' I shot one off in the air and they ran," said Drake. "And that's the desired effect. I didn't want to hurt anybody, I just wanted them to go away."

Drake's neighbor, Kenneth McCloud, paints a very different picture.

"We heard Mike confront them and that's when we saw Mike pull out his gun and they took off running, and after they turned the corner, that's when Mike Drake shot at them."

McCloud says he called the police because he wasn't sure if one of the men was hit. He says Drake is out of control.

"It's more of a vigilante style," said McCloud. "They use intimidation tactics, instead of them observing and writing it down, they'll confront them and that leads up to retaliation."

"No. 1, we do not encourage confronting people," said Drake in response. "We do not carry arms on patrol most of the time unless they have a CCW."

Drake was taken downtown to a police precinct Tuesday night, but he was not charged with firing a weapon. He says police took him away simply as a formality.

WNEM will continue to investigate this story and report on any developments.
Post Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:00 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

I actually bought a new home in Rollingwood back in 1966. nice little 2 story colonial. That was before LBJ and the libs decided that some low income apartments and a bunch of 235 subsidized housing was just what the area needed to "diversify". Rolling Eyes

A few years of that crap was enough for us we took a beating on the house and left Flint forever. Anyone living there or anywhere in Flint whos not legally armed CPL or whatever needs to be and maybe some good old fashioned vigilatenism is just what Flint needs. By the way just what did Plahutnik mean by "sawed off shotgun"? Was he trying to imply the fellow had an illegal weapon and if so why didnt he say the punks guns were also illegal which they were.
Sounds to me like some in the area think the best approach is to cower in their homes and dont do anything to upset the baggy drawers gangsta hiphoppers and maybe things will be OK. Rolling Eyes
Post Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Last night, things got complicated when Drake says a group of men pulled a gun on one of his patrol women. He says they pulled a weapon on him as well.

"But when he pulled it out, ‘boom,' I shot one off in the air and they ran," said Drake. "And that's the desired effect. I didn't want to hurt anybody, I just wanted them to go away."

Twotap- these are not well trained militia type people who know how to deal effectively with confrontation. Crime Watch volunteers were trained in the past to report to the police and not exit their cars and have confrontive situations. What would have happened if he had not had the gun or was unable to respond quickly when the female volunteer called for help. One or both of them could be dead.

Drake's neighbor, Kenneth McCloud, paints a very different picture.

"We heard Mike confront them and that's when we saw Mike pull out his gun and they took off running, and after they turned the corner, that's when Mike Drake shot at them."

When this guy was taken in and fingerprinted, you can quarantee he was booked and was facing charges. If he is not prosecuted, then the city has some explaining to do. Crime watch status does not give you the right to be be violent. This is not "Walking Tall" and even in that story the lead was a law enforcement individual.

This man has been on tv. The gangs know his name and face. He has driven with big signs all ove his car. You can bet they know not only his license plate but also his address. He has set himself and others up as targets.

Many years ago, the gangs used a series of whistles to announce when the crime watch members approached. Then they went to radios and walkee talkies. Now all they need is cell phones to keep tabs on these very visable volunteers.

It would have been better to have a more covert and less visable operation that would have been designed to generate information for trained police and gang operations.

Now they are being monitored by the gangs.
Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:02 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

What a mess.
Post Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:08 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: