FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Strange Flint Water Bills

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint residents not happy about double-digit water, sewer rate hike
Published: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 1:00 PM Updated: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 1:12 PM
By Kristin Longley | Flint Journal The Flint Journal

FLINT, Michigan — The city is again imposing a double-digit water and sewer rate hike on Flint water customers.

The new rates, announced Tuesday, equal a 35 percent increase for water and sewer usage, according to Flint Mayor Dayne Walling’s office — and come on the heels of a double-digit rate hike in January .

The increase is effective for Flint residents’ bills due after Sept. 16, officials said.

The average customer would see their total bill go from $82.49 a month to $111.36 a month, Finance Director Michael Townsend said.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flint residents are asking what is an average customer and is anyone really using reads from the meters? Angry residents are polling their neighbors and are checking consumption and water bills.

One area that is predominantly seniors with either 1 and 2 residents saw 1 person households with normal water bills between $35 -$40 all have bills of $71.04. One person households with bills that ran between $20 to $30 now have water bills over $50. I was surprised that anyone had water bills that low.

One block with all 2 person households where the previous maximum bill was $60, now ALL have water bills of over $112.

Another block of 1 to 2 person households, including 2 mansions, all had water bills of $81.39. The mansions saw their water bills drop.

One North side home owner with average water bills of $60 to $70 got hit with a $200 bill.

Has any mechanism been put in place to help seniors and others who can't pay for their water increases get help with their bills?

Has anyone seen the van that reads the water bills lately?
Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:38 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Our bill went from an average $67.00 to $121.00.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:03 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:

that is more than 35%
Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:28 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

quote:
untanglingwebs schreef:
quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
that is more than 35%
Webs, your difference in percentage is likely explained by a different number of units used from one month to another. For example, mine may be 1 or 2 units. My bills for the last 2 months have been a single unit so my last bill was a 35% increase. Had it gone from 1 to 2 units at the same time the price increase hit the percentage would appeared to be different. The percentage needs to be based on the same number of units.
Post Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:36 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

These individuals have consistently had the same water bill for years. I had them check consumption and they say there is no difference. The blocks have never had the entire block with identical water bills. I was told that some bills were estimated, but with our van and street reading system, that should not occur.
Post Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:21 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Maybe these individuals with such inconsistencies should take their bills together to the water department and demand explanation.
Post Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:42 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: