FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: HELP CLARESSA MAKE THE OLYMPIC BOXING TEAM

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

DON'T LET THIS YOUNG LADY DOWN . SHE STARTED BOXING TO STOP BULLIES FROM PICKING ON HER AND SHE HAS EXCELLED. $10 IS NOT A LOT BUT IT WILL MEAN A LOT TO CLARESSA IF SHE CAN ATTEND THE OLYMPIC TRIALS. HER ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE EVEN GREATER WHEN YOU REALIZE BERSTON DOES NOT EVEN HAVE A SPEED BAG AND SOME OTHER BOXING RELATED TRAINING AIDS.

Local fundraiser to be held for Flint boxer Claressa Shields next Wednesday at Wize Guyz Pizza

Published: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 10:15 AM Updated: Tuesday, January 31, 2012, 10:22 AM

By Eric Woodyard | ewoodyar@mlive.com
Follow

View full sizeHollyn JohnsonClaressa Shields won the 2011 National Police Athletic League (PAL) Boxing Championships last week. Shields automatically qualified for the U.S. Olympic trials in February.
FLINT, Mich. — Claressa Shields needs financial help in reaching her dream.

The 16-year-old amateur boxer is getting ready for the first-ever U.S. Olympic Team
Trials for women’s boxing.

They will be held on Feb. 13-19 at the Northern Quest Resort in Airway Heights, Wash.

She hopes to qualify for the U.S.A’s women’s boxing team for the Olympics in London this year.

In an effort to assist Shields, a fundraiser will be held for her on Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2012 from 4:30-6:30pm.

It will be hosted by WizeGuys Pizza — located at 500 South Saginaw Street — in downtown Flint.

The restaurant is connected to 501 Bar & Grill.

The cost is $10 per person and this includes pizza and pop.

Shields’ boxing record is a perfect 19-0 with 14 knockouts.

The New York Times recently profiled her on its website last week.
Post Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:56 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

THIRD WARD BB NOLDEN WORKED HARD TO HAVE THIS EVENT SUCCEED

Local benefit for Flint boxer Claressa Shields is a success in downtown Flint

Published: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 7:11 PM Updated: Wednesday, February 08, 2012, 7:30 PM

By Eric Woodyard | ewoodyar@mlive.com
Follow

Enlarge Lathan Goumas | lgoumas@mlive.com Lathan Goumas | MLive.com February 8, 2012 - Claressa Shields, 16, talks with Flint Mayor Dayne Walling during a fundraiser at Wize Guys Pizza on Wednesday. Shields is competing in the trials for the first United States Olympic women's boxing team which will be held in Airway Heights, Washington February 13-19.Benefit for boxer Claressa Shields at Wize Guys Pizza gallery (12 photos)

FLINT, Michigan -- In the midst of Flint's turmoil of violence and crime, a sports figure with potential to become an icon is emerging from her tough surroundings: Claressa Shields.

Shields is a 16-year-old local boxer attempting to make history.

She has qualified for the first-ever U.S. Olympic Team Trials for women's boxing. They will be held on Feb. 13-19 at the Northern Quest Resort in Airway Heights, Washington.

Shields and her trainer, Jason Crutchfield, will travel to New York Friday for several media events. But before she left her hometown to embark on her ultimate goal, a community fundraiser was held today in Shields' honor.

In an effort to help with her travel expenses, the public was invited to join her at Wize Guys Pizza in downtown Flint. Around 150 people showed up to give her donations, including several of the city's key figures.

"Flint has a great boxing tradition, so it's fitting that we have a pioneering female boxer going into Olympic Trials," Flint Mayor Dayne Walling said at the event. "She has tremendous confidence and skills and she is aiming to be the next Olympic gold medalist and that would be a great kudos for all of us here in Flint."

The Flint Northwestern junior hopes to become the third Flint fighter to reach the Olympics.

Andre Dirrell and Chris Byrd both fought in the major international sporting event.

Dirrell won a bronze medal in 2004 and Byrd took home a silver medal in the 1992 Olympics.

Shields (19-0, 14 KOs) is attempting to achieve the highest honor in London.

First she has to win her weight class in the U.S. Olympic Team Trials and later place in the top eight at the Women's World Championships in Qinhuangdao, China May 21-June 3. She then may claim a spot in London.

Out of the eight qualifiers in her middleweight division, Shields is ranked No. 6.

"Nobody has ever got a gold medal from Flint and I already have my whole plan all planned out for it," Shields said. "I'm thankful for everything and people are finally starting to realize that it's actually a female boxer who can box."

Dirrell was at the function to congratulate Shields.

"As a fellow Olympian, I am proud of Claressa Shields and she's so young and to be one of the first female Olympic boxers -- that's making history," Dirrell said. "Whether she gets gold or not, she's already made history and put Flint on the map and this girl can fight her butt off."

Despite all of the initial hype, Crutchfield continues to keep his fighter level-headed.

She has already appeared on the New York Times' website as well as many other media outlets.

However, Crutchfield reminds her that she hasn't won anything yet.

"We really need to think about what got us to this point to draw this kind of attention and it was hard work in the gym and dedication," said Crutchfield. "I'm pretty much thankful that she listens a lot."
Post Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:10 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

BB Nolden raised over $2100 to help Claressa make it to New York. good job !
Post Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:35 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint's Claressa Shields wins again at Olympic boxing trials

Published: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 6:07 AM Updated: Wednesday, February 15, 2012, 8:52 AM

By David Harris | dharris5@mlive.com

FileClaressa Shields, 16, of Flint, right, does a drill with her coach Jason Crutchfield of Flint during practice at Berston Field House in Flint last year. "It is my first love," Claressa said.
FLINT, Michigan -- Claressa Shields is pounding her way through the U.S. Olympic trials.

The 16-year-old from Flint won again Tuesday night, beating fellow Michigan native Andrecia Wasson at the U.S. Olympic Trials in Washington state. It came a day after she beat the top ranked boxer in her division.

Even after another one-sided win, Shields' face only brightened when her coach, Jason Crutchfield, gave her a "B-plus" grade for her thrashing of Wasson, a fellow Michigan native. Shields is the youngest fighter in the field, and she only began fighting at the amateur sport's top level over the past year.

"I came here to win, not to lose once in a double-elimination tournament and then make up for it," Shields said. "I want to win every day, and that's what I've been doing. I still haven't been able to stop my opponents yet, and that's really aggravating me. She's a bum. That's why I wanted to stop her."
Shields advances to the finals which take place Thursday.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:49 am 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: