FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Political Talk

Topic: Prelude to race riots? Pastor Flynn arrested!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint pastor says excessive force used during his arrest inside Flint City Hall

Published: Thursday, May 03, 2012, 3:30 PM Updated: Thursday, May 03, 2012, 3:52 PM

By Cathy Shafran | cshafran@mlive.com

Ryan Garza | The Flint JournalFoss Avenue Baptist Church pastor Reginald Flynn, pictured in the white shirt on the left, claims he was treated with excessive force when he was arrested Thursday inside Flint City Hall. Flynn says he was protesting budget cuts that severely impact residents of Flint's north side when he was arrested.

FLINT, MI – The Rev. Reginald Flynn, pastor of Foss Avenue Baptist Church, was seeking doctor's care today after he was arrested inside Flint City Hall while protesting budget cuts.

"I was protesting what I consider a grave injustice of the working poor families of the city of Flint," said Flynn as he was released from custody in the Flint Police Department shortly after noon.

"I'm protesting decisions made on astronomical fees for water and sewage and the decisions that have been made by those in power as to the allocation of dollars."

Flynn told his attorney that he was staging a one-man protest of what he saw as injustices imposed by the budget of Flint emergency manager Michael Brown when he was arrested.

Flynn's attorney, Glenn Cotton, said Flynn was sitting on the floor on the second level of City Hall reading a prepared statement out loud with a megaphone when officers detained him.

"They slammed him to the ground and an individual had a knee on his back and a knee on his neck," said Cotton. "We're taking him for medical attention because he is reporting pain in his knees and his wrists and he is reporting shortness of breath."

As he exited the police station, Flynn spoke of being treated with what he called "excessive force" during his arrest.

"Now I know what a lot of the young brothers I work with go through," Flynn said. "Now I know how they feel."

Cotton was told by officers at the police station that Flynn was being charged with a misdemeanor of disorderly conduct. But Cotton says has yet to see any formal notice of the charges.

A defiant Flynn left the police station promising he would continue his demands for economic justice for residents on the north side of Flint.

"Investment will occur in north Flint," said Flynn, CEO of the North Flint Reinvestment Corporation.

"The residents of the north side of Flint will receive justice," Flynn said. "They will be treated equitably, like all the residents, even all that live downtown and in the Grand Traverse and Carriage Town areas. The residents of north Flint, they deserve the same allocation of resources in this community."

Flynn said he is demanding an end to what he sees economic disparity in the budget between those on Flint's north side, and other parts of the city.

" You can see, the disinvestment is intentional," said Flynn. "That's why I was here."

Emergency Manager Brown was unavailable for comment on the charges.

Flint police say they are unable to comment on the incident because it remains under investigation.

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu May 03, 2012 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm 
Adam
F L I N T O I D

Prelude to expensive lawsuit that Flint cannot afford.
Post Thu May 03, 2012 4:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The NAACP worked with the Department of Justice to bring about changes in excessive force complaints within the Flint Police.

There were no arrests when the citizens protested on Monday, even when they entered City Hall. Word is EM Brown locked himself in his office.

Brown and his administration were further intimidated whrn they tried to stonewall citizens at the council meeting that night. Citizens objected to a second reading of that lengthy budget report and recognized that it was a stall tactic yo block public comment. The public assumed control over Brown's meeting.

The police had to be responding to a complaint from someone high up in the administartion. They do not even arrest rowdt citizens in council meetings unless they are given the order to make an arrest.

Is this Brown's way of dealing with peaceful civil disobedience?

Listen to Flynn every Saturday morning on his radio show. s on saturdaytaion 1420 Am at 8;00 am

Last edited by untanglingwebs on Thu May 03, 2012 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu May 03, 2012 5:01 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

LEO means law enforcement officer

qozmos May 03, 2012 at 4:57PM

Shame on those officers not protecting freedom of speech during a crisis like this. Excessive force on a pastor, shame on those officers. Why are they not protecting his freedom of speech ? But no arrest for those criminals stealing our democracy, money out the budget, conspiracy against the rights of the people. Shame! I am becoming convinced more and more that they protect and serve the corporation and not the people. Shame on city hall for not intervening on his behalf and all he doing is telling the truth. This is our freedom and livelyhood. Crazy as hell if you are not outraged by what's going on. Everybody should be in there with megaphones!

leotruth May 03, 2012 at 4:57PM

two objects pushing against each other with equal force will not move. For on object to control another object more force must be used. Police Officers must use more force than the subject they are apprehending. Sometimes the force needed to gain control hurts the subject. Sometimes that force does not look pretty to those viewing the incident. I will bet that an officer did not just happen to walk by this man and say he is disturbing the peace. I imagine that someone contacted the police chief or super chief and requested he be removed. The officers were only doing their job. I respect the freedom of speech. I also respect the other laws that were violated here. As a pastor, i believe he could have found a better way to get his message across. Unless he was looking for this type of response.

Jayare2010 May 03, 2012 at 5:04PM

If the good Reverend is plans to continue with his new career as a holy-than-thou rabble-rouser, he's going to have to beef up his frail little body and quite being the gentle flower who screams brutality anytime someone pulls on one of his pretty petals.
Post Thu May 03, 2012 5:07 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint pastor arrested while protesting inside Flint City Hall

Published: Thursday, May 03, 2012, 12:30 PM Updated: Thursday, May 03, 2012, 2:39 PM

FLINT, MI -- Reginald Flynn, pastor of Foss Avenue Baptist Church was arrested Thursday while staging a one-man protest inside Flint City Hall.

Flint police told Flynn's attorney he was arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and charged with a misdemeanor.

"He was upset and wanted to voice his concern about the emergency manager's plans for a hike in sewer and water rates for the residents," said Blake Strozier, executive director of North Flint Reinvestment Corp., which is based out of the Foss Avenue Baptist Church.

"He wanted to make it known that residents were upset," said Strozier. "He was headed out with a bull horn to make sure people heard his concerns."

"He was just doing what he thought was his civil duty," Strozier said while waiting for Flynn to be released at the Flint Police Department. "This is what happens when you have a system where you're not allowed to say what you want to say."

Flint police say Flynn was expected to be released on his own recognizance after the misdemeanor charges are processed.
Post Thu May 03, 2012 5:28 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

vagaholic May 03, 2012 at 12:50PM

History teaches that freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are always the first to go under fascist rule.

shanedr May 03, 2012 at 1:46PM

Using a bullhorn is not part of Freedom of Speech, nor the right to assemble.

What he should have done was contact Mr. Brown's secretary and ask for an appointment. As the minister for the Foss Avenue Baptist Church he would have been very likely to get an appointment - unlike most of us who would have been turned down.

Apparently Mr. Flynn doesn't understand how to act like an adult.

Whiteone May 03, 2012 at 1:57PM

shanedr: "Using a bullhorn is not part of Freedom of Speech, nor the right to assemble." So why wasn't he arrested for violating the noise ordinance? Sorry try again!

Secondly, who said he did not ask Mr. Browns secretary for an audience? Maybe he was turned down... Maybe that's why he held a public protest...

It is you that need to work on your adulthood.

peoplestruth May 03, 2012 at 12:58PM

This is outrageous. Foss Ave. has a history of standing for economic justice. I admire Pastor Flynn's bravery.

angelsabound May 03, 2012 at 1:08PM

Next time I will join you Pastor Flynn

angelsabound May 03, 2012 at 1:09PM

What exactly did this Pastor do wrong? Did he step off the sidewalk while conducting his one man picket?

Whiteone May 03, 2012 at 1:13PM

So let me get this right... The Flint Police won't go out and arrest the scum committing these heinous crimes, but they will arrest a person exercising his legal rights. Yep, Mike Brown's new safety plan is working already! This place is a joke..

wheaty60 May 03, 2012 at 1:43PM

He arrested because it was an easy pinch - right across the street from the cop shop and really - how violent could a preacher be? He was a safe target. This was a no brainer for the Flint cops.
Whiteone May 03, 2012 at 1:18PM

"Flint police say Flynn was expected to be released on his own recognizance after the misdemeanor charges are processed."

They are holding the Pastor in jail, but will give an apperance ticket to a robbery suspect. Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Incredible...

B17Bomber May 03, 2012 at 1:27PM
and the rest of the story.........

Vocal_Chick May 03, 2012 at 2:05PM

The article failed to mention that he was sitting in the lobby of city hall, outside the Mayor's office, talking on the megaphone. That wasn't enough, he went inside the doors of the Mayor's office and sat down and continued to yell through the megaphone. Still not happy, he went into Customer Service yelling. He then went back to the Mayor's office and knocked the phone off the counter to get someone's attention because no one was at the front desk. He was arrested because he was very loud and this is a place a business. When the police asked him to quiet it down and just talk to them, he didn't. The police tried to take his megaphone and he wasn't having any of that so he got arrested. Disturbing the peace would be my guess. . . .

shto eta May 03, 2012 at 2:30PM

The people in power in the city of Flint are no better then the thugs and thieves on the street. Residents here are finding it hard to survive, trying to make ends meet. Yet we have one man that decides to raise the water, sewer and garbage rates because of the Flints own mistakes and we're just supposed to bend over and take it without voicing an opinion. The emergency manager is robbing us without a gun and he has the police on his side. You voice your opinion in public and go to jail. This place is no better then the way Russia used to be. How much more can people take. I'm with Pastor Flynn. If I would have known he was going to protest, I would have been right there with him. This has become the home of the thieves and the land people want to flee. The people in power here are no better then the mafia.

Whiteone May 03, 2012 at 2:47PM

shto eta: Very powerful statement and you are correct. Its time to stop sitting around while these politicians rob us in broad daylight. It's time to rid this city of ALL the crooks... The ones in the streets and in office!

Vocal_Chick and other readers,
Cathy Shafran
An update on the story is reflecting that Flynn was indeed inside city hall when the arrest occurred. Unfortunately, I can find no one from inside city hall who can confirm the actions that Vocal_Chick referred to. I have confirmed through the pastor, however, reports that he was inside city call speaking in his megaphone when he was arrested. I would appreciate an email or phone call from anyone who can confirm for me what was going on inside city hall when he was arrested. Police will not comment.
I can be reached by email at cshafran@mlive.com or by phone at 810-429-0714.

Thanks for any information you can supply,

Cathy Shafran

artznow May 03, 2012 at 2:38PM

People need to organize or you will be going down one by one. Enough said they're at my door now.......
Post Thu May 03, 2012 6:06 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

cyber50 May 03, 2012 at 3:05PM
But the article fails to mention that Mr. Flynn was swearing in public over the megaphone and was confrontational when the Police were called. When the officers attempted to talk to him he continued to yell and scream and was using racist names towards the white Officer and also called the Black Officer a House N*****. nice if the church stands behind this person then its no church that I would visit. Do you think the Officers like talking a pay cut and protecting the person that is doing this. The Officers acted professional and impartial even if they agreed with the people. If they didn't do there job they are lazy. But when they do the job they thugs. I may agree with the pastor on the complaint but i think he owes the officers a apology. a pastor should show by example and he was wrong.

Whiteone May 03, 2012 at 4:27PM

Cyber50: But you failed to mention if you were there or not... Were you there or is your post second hand information full of bull.

vmilitant May 03, 2012 at 3:15PM

I wish Pastor Flynn joined us for the protest Monday. That said, everyone has a freedom to protest and petition their government. The emergency managers are modern day dictators.

Cyber50,
As I mentioned before, I am looking for any one who can comment on what they witnessed during the arrest. At this point, I have only comment from the pastor. In a story that is soon to post, you will see accusations from the pastor that he claims excessive force was used in his arrest. I have no official response from police to these charges.
If you would like to contact me with what you saw, please feel free to email me at cshafran@mlive.com or call at 810-429-0714.
Cathy Shafran

cyber50 May 03, 2012 at 3:34PM

There where several cell phone cameras recording the whole thing I'm sure someone will post it on You Tube

SaulTelode May 03, 2012 at 4:23PM

Protesting is one thing. Sitting on the floor and using a bullhorn inside of an office is another. Kind of like when a kid has a temper tantrum.

vagaholic May 03, 2012 at 6:14PM

It does takes a bullhorn to get the attention of our city leadership.
Post Thu May 03, 2012 6:16 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Flint emergency manager says 'verbal tirade' led to arrest of Flint pastor inside city hall

Published: Friday, May 04, 2012, 3:30 PM Updated: Friday, May 04, 2012, 5:12 PM

View full sizeRyan Garza | The Flint JournalPastor Reginald Flynn (center) walks out of Flint Police Department after being arrested for disorderly conduct during a protest inside Flint City Hall. Flint's Emergency Manager says the arrest came after Flynn's half hour "verbal tirade".

FLINT, MI -- The arrest of Pastor Reginald Flynn of Foss Avenue Baptist Church Thursday came after more than a half hour of "erratic and frightening behavior" inside Flint City Hall, according to Flint Emergency Manager Mike Brown.

In a statement that Brown issued today, the emergency manager describes a scene in which Flynn entered the mayor's office lobby with a bullhorn and made accusations against the emergency manager and his staff.

"After a verbal tirade of more than a half hour," Brown's statement said, "Pastor Flynn then began to turn over furniture and knock phones and computer equipment onto the floor."

Brown said when Flynn exited the mayor's area, a building and grounds person locked the door so he could not re-enter. At that point, the statement said, Flynn continued "his tirade verbally in other areas of City Hall."

While Flynn was on the second floor of City Hall, Brown's statement said, Flynn was approached by Flint Police Capt. T.P. Johnson.

"Capt. Johnson identified himself as a police officer and asked Pastor Flynn if he wanted to talk," said Brown's statement. "Pastor Flynn then stuck the bullhorn in the captain's face and began screaming."

At that point, Brown said, two officers who had been called by Police Chief Alvern Lock to quell the disturbance arrived .

"They observed Pastor Flynn raising the bullhorn in an aggressive manner," Brown said. "Therefore, they took physical control of the Pastor and confiscated the bullhorn. The officers then proceeded to place Pastor Flynn under arrest."

Brown says the matter is now under police investigation.

Flynn's attorney, Glenn Cotton, disputes accounts that portray the pastor's actions as threatening.

" This is a man dressed in a suit with a bullhorn who was sitting on the ground, Indian-style, conducting a demonstration of civil disobedience in accordance with Dr. King's principles," said Cotton. "I don't know how that is threatening."
Cotton maintains there was a mischaracterization of Flynn's actions while in the mayor's lobby.

"There was no computer property broken. There were some pencils and a chair was tipped over and some papers were scattered about," said Cotton. "And he wasn't yelling, he was reading off a list of his concerns about severe budget cuts."

Cotton also disputes accounts of police trying to talk to the pastor about disturbing the peace before his arrest.

"That's just not the case," said Cotton. "The captain attempted to take the bullhorn from Pastor Flynn. When he (Flynn) resisted them taking the bullhorn, that's when he was arrested."

"This was a nonviolent act of civil disobedience," said Cotton. "At no time did they direct him to stop his civil disobedience. I defy them to show proof that they did," said Cotton.

Flynn has complained of excessive force during his arrest. Cotton has the pastor is awaiting results of medical treatment he sought for pain in his knees, his wrists and shortness of breath following his release.

Cotton says he has still received no charging documents in the case, He has yet to see any official charges being filed.

Flynn, who also serves as CEO of the North Flint Neighborhood Reinvestment group, said he was at City Hall protesting budget cuts that severely impact those who live on Flint's north side. He said his protest was to demand equality of financial justice for those residents.

"He was sticking up for the poor and for those who didn't have a voice," said Cotton, referring to the pastor's protest inside City Hall. "He is firm in his belief he was doing what Christ would have done."
Post Fri May 04, 2012 5:10 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

THE PROBLEMS WITH BROWN'S SIDE OF THE STORY:

PASTOR FLYNN WAS IN THE MAYOR'S OFFICE LOBBY FOR A HALF HOUR AND NO ONE CAME OUT TO SPEAK TO HIM?

FLYNN WAS THE MODERATOR FOR THE THIRD WARD MEETING AT ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH. HE AND BROWN SPOKE AT THAT MEETING. WALLING IS FAMILIAR WITH FLYNN ALSO. THEY CAN'T REALLY HAVE BEEN AFRAID TO SPEAK TO HIM.

FLYNN IS ADDRESSING THE ISSUE THAT MANY, IF NOT ALL, NORTH END CITIZENS ARE ASKING-WHY IS ALL OF THE DEVELOPMENT ONLY TAKING PLACE DOWNTOWN? WHY IS THERE NO ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT SCHEDULED FOR THE NORTH END?

BROWN CONSISTENTLY GIVES THE APPEARANCE THAT HE IS AFRAID OF THE RESIDENTS, ESPECIALLY IF THEY SEEM CONFRONTIVE.

BROWN SAYS FLYNN WAS IN THE LOBBY FOR A HALF HOUR. THE MAYOR'S OFFICE IS AN IMPORTANT OFFICE AND YET THERE IS NO RECEPTIONIST OR OTHER PERSON TO SERVE AS A POINT OF ACCESS OR INFORMATION?

THERE IS A BUTTON BY THE RECEPTIONIST CHAIR THAT BUZZES PEOPLE IN. HOWEVER, WHILE A PERSON CAN BUZZ THE DOOR, THE DOOR ONLY OPENS WHEN THE BUZZER IS BEING PRESSED SO IT REQUIRES TWO PEOPLE.I HAVE SEEN PEOPLE JUST VAULT OVER THE DESK.

THERE IS ALSO A DIRECT LINE EMERGENCY BUTTON THAT NOTIFIES THE POLICE OF A SAFETY ISSUE IN THE RECEPTIONIST AREA.

ALL CITY HALL PHONES HAVE A INTER-OFFICE CODE TO THE POLICE CHIEF'S OFFICE AND OTHER DEPARTMENTS. THEY ALWAYS ANSWER CALLS FROM THE MAYOR'S OFFICE.

THERE IS A BACK DOOR AND STAIRS THAT CONNECT THE OFFICES IN THE MAYOR'S COMPOUND TO THE STAIRS AND ALL OTHER POINTS IN CITY HALL.

I FIND IT HARD TO BELIEVE THAY WERE SO AFRAID THAT THEY WOULD NOT EVEN LOCK THE DOOR THEMSELVES WHEN FLYNN LEFT THE OFFICE. THE OFFICE OF THE MAINTENANCE STAFF IS ONE BUILDING OVER.

IT TOOK TWO POLICE ADMINISTRATORS AND TWO OTHER OFFICERS TO CONFRONT FLYNN?

CITY HALL IS FILLED WITH CAMERAS. THERE HAS TO BE A RECORD OF THE EVENT.

THIS INCIDENT TELLS ME THAT BROWN IS JUST TIRED OF PUBLIC DISSATIFACTION WITH HIS PLANS.
Post Fri May 04, 2012 8:47 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote]"Now I know what a lot of the young brothers I work with go through," Flynn said. "Now I know how they feel."

quote:

You mean when they are arrrested or taken into custody for a criminal act. hint----- dont do the crime and the LEOs will leave you alone.

Post Sat May 05, 2012 8:56 am 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

The first time someone spoke to me of Pastor Flynn they mentioned Nehemiah. It seems that the Pastor has a special fondness for Nehemiah. Therefore I was not surprised when he referenced Nehemiah chaper five, verses 1 through 5 today.

This is only an example of the reference.

The Adam Clarke Commentary

Chapter 5

The people complain that they are oppressed and enthralled by their richer brethren, 1-3. Nehemiah calls them to account; upbraids them for their cruelty; and obliges them to swear that they will forgive the debts, restore the mortgaged estates, and free their servants, 4-13. Nehemiah's generosity and liberality, 14-17. The daily provision for his table, 18,19.

Notes on Chapter 5

Verse 2. We, our sons, and our daughters, are many
Our families are larger than we can provide for; we are obliged to go in debt; and our richer brethren take advantage of our necessitous situation, and oppress us. The details which are given in the next verse are sufficiently plain.

Verse 3. Because of the dearth.
About the time of Zerubbabel, God had sent a judicial dearth upon the land, as we learn from Haggai, Haggai 1:9, building houses for themselves than on rebuilding the house of the Lord: "Ye looked for much, and, lo, it is come to little; because of mine house that is waste; and ye run, every man unto his own house. Therefore the heaven over you is stayed from dew, and the earth is stayed from her fruit. And I called for a drought upon the land, and upon the mountains, and upon the corn, and upon the new wine, and upon the oil, and upon that which the ground brought forth; and upon men, and upon cattle, and upon all the labour of the hands." This dearth might have been continued, or its effects still felt; but it is more likely that there was a new dearth owing to the great number of people, for whose support the land that had been brought into cultivation was not sufficient.

Verse 4. We have borrowed money
This should be read, We have borrowed money for the king's tribute on our lands and vineyards. They had a tax to pay to the Persian king in token of their subjection to him, and though it is not likely it was heavy, yet they were not able to pay it.

Verse 5. We bring in to bondage our sons
The law permitted parents to sell their children in times of extreme necessity, Exodus 21:7.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 3:54 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Rev. Latreille Holmes spoke about the events that led up to his resignation from the Emergency manager's Advisory Committee. Holmes is the CFO of the Big Brothers/Big Sisters and has experience in working in government at the state level.

They were charged with the role of advising and giving input to the Emergency Manager. Yet as time went on there was no longer a sense of transparency in the decision making process and after the ward meetings ended there was no longer any public dialogue. He came to the realization that the advisory group was finding out the deciaions when they were being announced to the public.

The tipping point, said Holmes, came with the appointment of Barnett Jones and the budget process requesting unprecedented assessmsnts. Holmes noted how the water rate has increased 105% in the last 18 months. "This is a new level of Bureacracy."
Post Sat May 05, 2012 4:08 pm 
Crowfeeder
F L I N T O I D

So Flynn picked Cotton ?
Post Sat May 05, 2012 4:30 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pastor Flynn asked Holmes if it was true those with the lowest value homes and those who were least able to pay were the ones with the highest increases.

Holmes discussed how the city has high receivables, mostly in the water bills and in the personal property income taxes. He also stated that industry was not sharing their fair cost of sewer. "This is a regressive tax-one that advesely affects the poor."

Flynn denounced the fact that it is individuals who do not reside in Flint that are making the decisions for Flint .

The Flint Journal was given tax abatements that came with the promise of increased employment. Now they have laid off many employees.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 4:32 pm 
untanglingwebs
El Supremo

Pastor Flynn is now in possession of the video of the arrest. Comments of people who saw the video say Brown's account of the event, as well as some others, are fabrications.
Post Sat May 05, 2012 4:36 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: