FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Positive Flint Events

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

Hey everyone. I was watching ABC 12 news last night and saw a video tape from an event organized by the Ballenger Road Neighborhood Association, in which the block club did some free health screenings and gave away food and clothing to those who needed it. The reason I am writing about it today is because I didn’t know about it yesterday. I don’t know why I didn’t know about it before yesterday, I consider myself a well informed member of this city. I read the newspaper, scan all of the local media (on and offline) and I communicate with many other informed members of the community and I normally do not hear of such events until it is too late to make arrangements to get to them. Occasionally I will read a short blurb in the newspaper or online about something, but either it is too vague or too far in advance that you forget by the time it gets close. This really bothers me. So many people, including myself could be taking advantage of these events. There are so many of us that could use a little help, but just do not know where or when to get it, but with a little help from all of you, I am hoping to change that.

Through a variety of online resources, including Flinttalk.com, various Yahoo newsletter groups, and MySpace, I can reach out to over 10,000 people living in the Flint area. I can also utilize the Flint Journal, as well as the various smaller publications such as the Uncommon Sense, East Village and others to spread the word about important events in our community. So all I need to do is compile a list of the one time and reoccurring events and then place them in as many places as I (we, with the help of all of you) can to let as many people as possible know about these things in order to allow them to utilize the services offered by these organizations.

If you know of an event, please contact me using any of the methods listed at the end of this letter. I hope to gather information on anything going on that will help people in our community, such as food or clothing giveaways, free health screenings, any informational meetings on Medicare or Social Security or anything else along these lines. Please send me a message with as much detailed information about the event as possible and I will post it on the calendar and send out a reminder a few days before the day of the event.

In addition to the things listed above, I would also like to let citizens know about any other positive happenings in the community. Please send information on any free concerts, especially those benefiting a cause, art shows, walks or fundraisers, or any sort of educational projects or classes that are free or affordable. If you are a politician or are involved with a non-profit or community (block club) organizations, I will also list the time and place for your informational meetings, membership gatherings or stump speeches (no fancy fundraising dinners).

I think that the whole community will benefit by organizing these things and spreading the word about helpful and positive things in our city and I hope that you all agree and will offer a little of your time to make this work. I will begin posting and sending reminders as soon as I start receiving information. Thank you all in advance for your effort on this and your patience with my long winded message.

Robert Gill

Please send information to me directly at

E-mail - Rgillmi@yahoo.com
Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/rob12345dora123
Yahoo IM - rgillmi
Phone (leave a message) - 810-250-2178

You can subscribe to the e-mail list by sending a message to
Flint_Mich-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
or going to the site
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flint_Mich/
Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

PLEASE JOIN HOSTS REPRESENTATIVE BRENDA CLACK AND THE STUDENT EMPLOYMENT CENTER OF MOTT COMMUNITY COLLEGE FOR THE

College Town Career Conference
Monday, May 7, 2007 starting at 2:00 p.m.
Mott Community College Regional Technology Center Auditorium

Panel discussion featuring key Mid-Michigan business leaders and educators followed by a job fair at the same location.

For more information, please contact my (Rep. Clack) office toll-free at (877) 737-0034.
Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:10 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

The 4th Annual Flint Film Festival is set to take place in Flint, Michigan on May 17th - May 20th.

Please visit www.flintfilmfest.com for full details.

Shorts

GlacierBay
Jim in the Box
Famous Last Words
Silent Radio
Bottom Feeder
See Rock City
Hush
My Backyard was a Mountain
Detroit Unleaded
My Name Is Wallace
Her Smile
So You’re a Vampire What now?
The Father, Unblinking
A Cigar At the Beach
The Madness of Existence
Twilight of Youth
The Candle
Just
Assassin
The Frank Anderson
Raven Gets a Life
Holding Hands
Imagine Realty
No Bullets
Wilson's Woodworkers
Recently Deceased
Pitching Loose Women
Courage Doesn't Ask
Theodore
Sign
Absolute Zero
4 Degrees
Touched
Forgotten Winter
Never Odd or Even
Story Time
Joy
InZero Mission 9
Moon Cake
Demeter
Being Cool
The Chase
Never Bet The Devil Your Head
The Third Law
The Waiting Room
Chance
No Time Left
Post Paradise
Rest in Peace
Arcadia
The Dance
Blind
Tree

Features

Forfeit
Commit
It Came From Another World
The Chemistry Of Dating
Fierce Friend
Divergence
The Garage
Fate Twisted Simply
How Clarence Became Truly Normal
Ex-mas Eve
Comic Evangelists
East of Euclid
Dumpster
De L' Autre Cote
Life with Fiona

Animation

Scaling Up
Water creature
Evocation
Barney the Terrier
Boxcartoon
Haunted

Documentary

Finding Kraftland
American Scary
Suffer The Children
On The Road
The Clinton12
Shooting Michael Moore
Facing Sudan
Anatomy of the Canvas
Heart of a Soul Surfer
The Box of Lanzo
Lives of Lou
An American Opera
Car Stories
Rommel and The Plot to Kill Hitler
Crunch
Hell on earth
Millions
We'll Take Care Of You
Cuban Hip Hop
In a Single Bound

Music

End Of a Dead Street
Flintoid
Gone
Heart, The American Red Cross
Serenade
Muses
Bad Bad World

Post Wed May 02, 2007 10:16 am 
rgillmi
F L I N T O I D

The new company that is moving into the Tech Center will take part in the career fair this Monday at the Mott College (See above post). The CEO says that they intend to hire around 100 people with customer service and computer skills in the coming months. Check it out or tell a friend who needs a job. It seems to be a pretty innovative company and probably a cool place to work.
Post Fri May 04, 2007 9:50 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: