FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Swartz Funeral Home vs Sharp Funeral Home
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Which funeral home is better?
Sharp
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Swartz
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

It appears as if Sharp Funeral Homes is gaining on Swartz. Keep in mind that Sharp has four locations versus Swartz and their HUGE one location.
Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:09 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

How do you know this Richard? Is there like a body count to prove it?

quote:
Richard schreef:
It appears as if Sharp Funeral Homes is gaining on Swartz. Keep in mind that Sharp has four locations versus Swartz and their HUGE one location.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:30 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I get the journal and count the obits on a daily basis. I also track the obits in our area for our funeral home.
Richard
Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:49 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Are you a mortician??

quote:
Richard schreef:
I get the journal and count the obits on a daily basis. I also track the obits in our area for our funeral home.
Richard

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I am a licensed funeral director/embalmer in the State of Florida and work part-time at a funeral home where my wife is the General Manager. My full-time job is General Manager of an oceanfront hotel here in New Smyrna Beach, FL but do 90% of the embalmings. I started in the funeral business working at the now missing Zelley Funeral Home which was located just around the corner from the Brown Funeral Home back in the mid 70's.

www.settlewilderfuneralhome.com

Richard
Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:38 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

One of the funeral homes in Flint that I really like is the old Dodds Funeral Home on GARLAND st.

quote:
Richard schreef:
I am a licensed funeral director/embalmer in the State of Florida and work part-time at a funeral home where my wife is the General Manager. My full-time job is General Manager of an oceanfront hotel here in New Smyrna Beach, FL but do 90% of the embalmings. I started in the funeral business working at the now missing Zelley Funeral Home which was located just around the corner from the Brown Funeral Home back in the mid 70's.

www.settlewilderfuneralhome.com

Richard

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:53 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

You know that is the ONLY funeral home in Flint I have not been in. It was recently sold to two women. The strange thing about the new owners is that one is white and one if african-american. Not aware of this type of partnership before with a funeral home and I really hope they can make it happen. When Donna Dodds-Hamm owned Dodds-Dumonias Funeral Home she also onwed the Dodds-Dumonias-Pitts Funeral Home in Fenton, MI. In 1997 I tried to purchased it from her only to be pinched at the post by a man called Dreighton from Ann Arbor. A few years back he sold to the current owner Mary McCullum and she has transformed it into a beautiful facility.
Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:07 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Yeah it has sold a couple times in the last 5 years!

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:20 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Richard since your in the biz, maybe you can see if this sounds correct. A friend of mine said Dodds-Dumonias has over 1 million dollars in pre arranged funerals that haven't taken place yet, could that be correct? And would that be apart of a sale to include those?

quote:
Richard schreef:
You know that is the ONLY funeral home in Flint I have not been in. It was recently sold to two women. The strange thing about the new owners is that one is white and one if african-american. Not aware of this type of partnership before with a funeral home and I really hope they can make it happen. When Donna Dodds-Hamm owned Dodds-Dumonias Funeral Home she also onwed the Dodds-Dumonias-Pitts Funeral Home in Fenton, MI. In 1997 I tried to purchased it from her only to be pinched at the post by a man called Dreighton from Ann Arbor. A few years back he sold to the current owner Mary McCullum and she has transformed it into a beautiful facility.

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:21 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

It could be true and is usually a consideration in the sale of the funeral home. At our place we have about 1.5 million on the books. In Florida we can take up to 30% of the pre-need contract monies leaving enough in the trust account to cover merchandise and 70% of service cost.
I would imagine a company like SCI would have millions of dollars in pre-need contracts with the four funeral home they operate in the Flint area.
Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:35 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Why isn't anyone voting in our poll?

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:32 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Ryan, the dead can't vote. And the living who use funeral homes for loved ones and post on this board probably have reasons for going to one and don't bother to compare. For example, if family has always used one, the survivors will be inclined to do the same; or if they haven't they may ask a friend which one they used. Or perhaps they'll use one in a location nearest their home or relatives. That doesn't tell you which is "best."
Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:33 pm 
Biggie9
F L I N T O I D

its Dumanois....

and what are the criteria for selecting one funeral home over another.

I mean come on, get real.

one might prefer a whopper over a quarter-pounder. We can assume that person has tried both, more than once to take that position.

but a funeral home? whats the basis?

"ohh, they made aunt gert look better in death than she ever did in real life"???

or...they have more comfortable chairs at X versus Y, or the a/c was too cold/high/loud/not enuf/ at X versus Y...

its not something I'm going to try and comparison shop until I have too.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:13 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I picked mine based on the basis of how they do the make up. My grandmother looked much younger after visting Swartz! They have my vote!

quote:
Biggie9 schreef:
its Dumanois....

and what are the criteria for selecting one funeral home over another.

I mean come on, get real.

one might prefer a whopper over a quarter-pounder. We can assume that person has tried both, more than once to take that position.

but a funeral home? whats the basis?

"ohh, they made aunt gert look better in death than she ever did in real life"???

or...they have more comfortable chairs at X versus Y, or the a/c was too cold/high/loud/not enuf/ at X versus Y...

its not something I'm going to try and comparison shop until I have too.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:37 am 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Quoting Ryan: "I picked mine based on the basis of how they do the make up. My grandmother looked much younger after visting Swartz! They have my vote!"

Makeup artists move around. Not sure they're called the same at a funeral home. I can tell you from personal experience that if you don't like the resting appearance of your loved one in the coffin you'd best make it known to be corrected or fix it yourself before public viewing. Little details like orange makeup, incisions from autopsies separating, or an eyelid that doesn't stay closed because the little plastic gadget with hooks that they put there to hold them shut isn't in position. Uh-huh, they surely need proper training, and that includes a final inspection before being exposed for showing.

Glad your grandmother looked so well, Ryan. Other funeral homes should rightly provide the same quality service. And did you ever notice how facial wrinkles relax in the living while reclining? Funeral homes can use stuff like botox, too. Laughing
Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:05 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: