FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Mackinac Bridge is 50 this year
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

The Mackinac Bridge will turn 50 this year with all kinds of celebrations throughout the summer. Hopefully some FlintStones can break away and visit the bridge.
Richard

www.mackinacbridge.org
Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:52 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Thats awesome, great history there Richard. Do you plan on making it up there this year to celebrate??? What about a Mackinac Bridge Party?

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:48 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
andi03
F L I N T O I D

The locals stay away from St. Ignace and Mackinaw City, as do I when I go to camp........too many people. Wink
Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:19 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

If you can't make it to Mackinaw for the celebration celebrate with the Detroit Science Center, where the Detroit Science Center and MDOT will be building a huge replica of the bridge for the anniversary. Still looking for sponsors, but it should be done in time for the celebration. Let me know if you swing by.

Velda

Post Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:22 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Why do the locals stay away from St. Ignace and Mackinaw?
Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:24 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The Human Body exhibit is there now, I highly recomend going to see it!

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
If you can't make it to Mackinaw for the celebration celebrate with the Detroit Science Center, where the Detroit Science Center and MDOT will be building a huge replica of the bridge for the anniversary. Still looking for sponsors, but it should be done in time for the celebration. Let me know if you swing by.

Velda

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Really??? Why do the locals stay away from St. Ignace and Mackinaw?

quote:
andi03 schreef:
The locals stay away from St. Ignace and Mackinaw City, as do I when I go to camp........too many people. Wink

Post Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:33 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Velda

Yes the Body exhibit is amazing.....

The 80 foot replica is being built and will become a permanent structure at the museum with accompanying interactive information. We're hoping to explain suspension bridges to kids with the hopes of sparking an interest in civil engineering. Hope everyone checks it out.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Do you live in Michigan?
quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Velda

The 80 foot replica is being built and will become a permanent structure at the museum with accompanying interactive information. We're hoping to explain suspension bridges to kids with the hopes of sparking an interest in civil engineering. Hope everyone checks it out.

Post Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 pm 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

Who me? Of course I do, silly rabbit!
I live in the Detroit area.....or are you even asking ME? or someone else?
doh!

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:
Do you live in Michigan?
quote:
veldagarcia schreef:
quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Velda

Post Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:44 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I ordered 4 posters celebrating the Mackinac Bridge 50th birthday and I must say they look awesome. Can't wait to get them framed and hanging in my office and home.
Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:23 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

What a grin! People in Florida hang Michigan landscape on walls; in Michigan people hang Florida landscape on walls.
Post Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:33 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Howdy Ryan and Richard!

Somehow I missed your responses, sorry. Tourist traps bring out the worst in people in the UP. The only thing that I go to St. Ignace for when we spend a lot of time at camp is for the craft show in Sept., food at Glenn's and this year now that the kids are older it will be for their first trip to Mack Island. We own property in the middle of the Hiawatha National Forest, my in-laws live 1/10 th of a mile up there away from our camp (for 7 months out of the year) and the sis-in-law and bro-in-law live in Marquette and have a place a 1/10 of a mile the other way.

The "downstaters" such as myself, I will not deny it, are somewhat obnoxious up there, I was at first, but have garnered the power of my "inner Yooper" Smile Smile . This also includes people from Ohio, Indiana and other states that have "camps" (cottages, cabins, etc) up there. Once they cross that bridge, a whole different person comes out!! Snowmobilers think that they can go on anyone's property, ATV riders go anywhere, let their kids ride without helmets (majority of kids that I have seen are out of state and parents don't know riding cert needed) and some of the out of stater think that the lake access is theirs to keep all of their boats at while their dock is 15 feet away.............sigh. Yeah, just a lowly back lotter with a tacky red canoe!! Wink

My anniversary falls on July 2nd, most of the time we visit "our restaurant" in St. Ignace, then head back to camp to flee the fourth of July masses. In the mid 80's there were a plethora of downstate kids working in St. Ignace and on the Island for the summer. Now you will find Jamaican's working there for the summer that specifically go up to that area during tourist season. Some of the people that I have seen at this restaurant have treated these Jamaican's terribly and they don't deserve it in the least. I am a severe people watcher, mind you. The white waiters get treated better than the Jamaican waiters/staff by the customers.

I could go on and on and on......sigh.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:08 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

I know exactly what you are saying. With my many trips to the Mackinaw area I have seen the labor force change from the white college kids to people of other countries. I have found the service people on the island more friendly and accommodating. I can understand the labor issue because American's do not want to work so you have to go outside the country. All American's seem to want to do is drive a Hummer and get paid. I operate an oceanfront hotel in Florida and if I could get Jamicians, or Hispanics, or Haitians, I would hire them in a second. Unfortunately we have a very poor work force available and American's do not want to clean rooms and be of a servitude mindset.
I will be holding a "Mackinac Bridge 50th Anniversary" party in July. On the Mackinanc Bridge website they off several games and trivia I will use at my get together.
In my office I have a picture of the Mackinac Bridge under construction along with many of the island too. People who work for me now know as much about the Mackinac area as I. Add that I have my screensavers running with bridge pictures always keeps me dreaming of the next time I will be able to visit Mackinac again.
Post Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:08 am 
MetroGirl
F L I N T O I D

quote:
veldagarcia schreef:

Velda

The 80 foot replica of the MightyMac will become a permanent part of the Detroit Science Center in July. The original company that designed and built the original bridge are working with the Detroit Science Center to build the replica...down to the original paint, designed specifically for the original Mackinac Bridge by Sherwin-Williams 50 years ago! This is the only time the paint colors have been revived and will likely never come about again...

Visit the Detroit Science Center and walk the Mini-Mac!

Post Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:00 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: