FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: New and upcoming Flinn's Journal topics

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

This month, my Uncommon Sense column notes the 40th anniversary next month of The Who's ear shattering concert at Atwood Stadium on Keith Moon's 21st birthday and the birthday party afterwards at the Bristol Road Holiday Inn which was one to remember. Later this month on the WaterWinterWonderland web site, I'll talk about two failed tourist attractions in Michigan including AutoWorld here plus Cereal City USA in Battle Creek. For the August Uncommon Sense, I'll talk about early Flint TV. Do any oldtimers recall WTAC-TV channel 16? It signed on Thanksgiving Day of 1953 and suspended operations at the end of April 1954. In August of that year, WJRT took over the WTAC-TV studios and offices, but further litigation involving the two losing groups vying for channel 12 delayed WJRT's sign on until October 1958.

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:21 am 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Gary Flinn is a Flint treasure -- when I get my (paid) subscription to The Uncommon Sense in the mail, I run upstairs, tear open the envelope and go right to his article. Always fascinating!

Wow, I never knew Cereal City closed. I lived in Battle Creek 10 years ago and took my nephews there. It was a pretty cool place, very much like Autoworld, but with Kellogg's still going strong, it had no skeletons in its closet.

It's eerie, downright eerie, to read of its demise. It's like Autoworld all over again. How they expected 5% of Michigan's population to go there every year is absolute lunacy.

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/sights/sightstory.php?tip_AttrId=%3D13038

Gary, here are some ideas I'd like to see you write articles for:

1. Safetyville
2. Penny Whistle Place
3. After school programs (as mentioned in this video:
http://www.flinthistory.com/features/theater/index.shtml?child
4. Genesee Valley stories (about stores we all loved but are gone)

Thanks!
Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:56 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Thanks for the ideas, Shawn. Idea #3 was written in the July 2006 issue of The Uncommon Sense. You can read that article at...
http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&-sortfield=issue&-sortorder=descend&owner=uncommon%20sense&keyword=Frank%20Manley&-recid=37049&-find=

Unfortunately, budget cuts led to the closing of Crawford House shortly after the article was published.

Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:30 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I forgot to mention that Safetyville was located inside Kearsley Park and was mentioned in my Kearsley Park--Then and Now article in the January 2007 issue of The Uncommon Sense. That article can be seen at...
http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&-sortfield=issue&-sortorder=descend&owner=uncommon%20sense&keyword=Kearsley%20Park&-recid=37246&-find=

Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:33 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Yah know, I think I mentioned those in particular because I probably read them already and forgot where I saw them!

Awesome Gary!
Post Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:44 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I think a good topic would be the history of the IMA Industrial Mutual Association. Some things I would be interested in knowing would be..

How it grew?

Who formed it?

How did it flourish?

What programs did it offer?

How much did workers have to pay into it?

Is it true that workers had deductions taken out for the IMA whether they
wanted to or not???

What buildings did they build? occupy?

How is the IMA faring today with the decrease of union workers and GM presence in the area?

Post Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:23 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

The new online Flinn's Journal at http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/flinn.asp is now up about AutoWorld and Kellogg's Cereal City USA. The AutoWorld portion of the column is adapted from an Uncommon Sense column about the 10th Anniversary of the IMA Auditorium implosion which you can read at...
http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&-sortfield=issue&-sortorder=descend&-sortfield=article%5fid&-sortorder=descend&category=culture&page=history&-recid=37310&-find=

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:57 am 
R. Lebeau
F L I N T O I D

I, along with many friends , got our 20 something arses up early to go see "Implosion Day". It was a snowy, snowy day and pretty cold, but there were hundreds of people there..

quite a sight to behold let me tell you...
Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:53 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

We were out there that snowy cold morning with over 100 protest signs in the truck. We made it there to protest the demolition of a historic building and a state of the art structure that could be re adapted for other uses.

It was such a meloncoly morning, most people waching were people who had danced in the auditorium when they were a kid. Some of them went to buy a car there during the auto shows. Many were very upset to see such an important part of Flint History (.com) to be demolished.

People were also very upset that a 100 million dollar plus building was being torned down just a little over 10 years after being built. One person at the implosion said to me" Its a crime that they are tearing that building down, thats our tax dollars being blown up". Its a sad fact that a building of that magnitude will never be built in Flint again. ( hopefully I am wrong ).

quote:
Flinn's Journal schreef:
The new online Flinn's Journal at http://www.waterwinterwonderland.com/flinn.asp is now up about AutoWorld and Kellogg's Cereal City USA. The AutoWorld portion of the column is adapted from an Uncommon Sense column about the 10th Anniversary of the IMA Auditorium implosion which you can read at...
http://www.downtownflint.com:8000/df/FMPro?-db=content.pro&-format=global%5farticle%5fdetail.htm&-lay=web&-sortfield=issue&-sortorder=descend&-sortfield=article%5fid&-sortorder=descend&category=culture&page=history&-recid=37310&-find=

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

The other thing to keep in mind here is that the IMA Auditorium was Middle Class Flint's place to have recreation. Everything about the IMA was for the working middle class Flint families.

Post Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:32 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: