FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Mayor Don Williamson Last in a series of profiles

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

'Judge me by what I've done as mayor' -- Williamson
FLINTTHE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONSunday, July 22, 2007By Marjory Raymermraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325

Last in a series of profiles on Flint mayoral candidates.

FLINT - Mayor Don Williamson tossed a $100 bill on the desk and slid his worn brown wallet back into his pocket.

What was that for?

"(To sponsor) a fashion show of some sort," Williamson said with a shrug as his visitor walked out the door.

Every Wednesday morning, the mayor meets with anyone who wants to see him and is willing to wait, sometimes several hours, for their chance.

Some love him, some hate him, but everyone knows the mayor.

His controversial tenure has sparked a heated election in which six people have come forward to challenge him for Flint's most powerful position.

The top two finishers in the Aug. 7 primary will go on to the November general election.

Williamson won election in 2003 to a post that had virtually no power because the city was under a state financial takeover. He had the unanimous support of City Council and bucked Flint's traditional racial divide, proving popular in both black and white neighborhoods.

In the four years since, he has made enemies and is now warring with a majority of council members.

But he has shown some political acumen, touching on popular issues such as improving basic services. And he flexed his political strength in the city's last major election, in 2005, when he led the charge to successfully boot many of his council enemies out of office.

Above all, Williamson is still a unique character, with piercing blue eyes, dry humor and a sometimes combative tone.

He starts the answer to most questions with, "Let me tell you this here," and he threatens to fire staff several times an hour. Sometimes clearly joking, usually not.

Williamson's office features Harley-Davidson collectibles, framed photos with Burt Reynolds and a small collection of hardhats, all set in a tropical/safari decor.

A poster-sized framed photo of the mayor sitting at his desk, his wife, Patsy Lou, standing next to him, greets all visitors.

It reads at the top, "You must know the enemy better than they know themselves." At the bottom, "Success is the best revenge."

On the corner of his desk are two weekly paychecks, each for 2 cents, each uncashed. When asked why he wants to be mayor, he points to them.

"The pay's great," Williamson said.

Since taking office, Williamson has declined the mayor's salary of more than $100,000. Instead he is paid $1 a year - 88 cents after taxes, he notes.

The people who come to him on Wednesday mornings are often looking for help.

A swingset is broken.

Their electricity bills are too high.

Jobs are hard to come by.

In one marathon three-hour session observed by The Flint Journal, Williamson never directly turned down anyone's request.

He called on city attorneys to help answer legal questions, sent staff to go buy and install new swings for an apartment complex and tapped top city officials to help families when their power was turned off because of unpaid bills.

"The citizens of the city don't always know where to go for help," he said.

Also that morning, Williamson gave $200 to a block club that wanted to buy hot dogs for a party and $20 to a woman who needed gas money to get to her family reunion.

It's a unique way for a mayor to do business. Often described as a multimillionaire, Williamson said it's his own money he gives away - not the city's - and he does it because he remembers what it was like to be poor.

"I can relate to people's problems," said Williamson, who grew up in a struggling family in a home on Second Street near Ann Arbor Street, right where the river flooded every year.

The way he hands out cash also plays into a common accusation: He buys people and their support.

"I could care less," Williamson said of what others say about him.

His job, he says, is to "protect taxpayers' money."

Others, he said, have not had the city's best interests at heart.

"The city of Flint, it should be the most wealthiest city in the world," Williamson said.

He accuses former mayors of trying to buy friends with city money and some City Council members of skimming off city funds.

"And I'm the thief?" Williamson bellows.

He seems angered by frequent references to his criminal record - still routinely brought up by critics -but refuses to admit it.

In 1962, Williamson was a defendant in two business scams that involved buying cars with bad checks and buying merchandise for a discount store without paying for it.

Williamson served 3 years and 4 months in prison before being paroled in 1966.

When asked about the case, Williamson dismisses its relevance, saying voters have known about his past for more than 40 years.

His critics claim his dishonesty continues. Williamson is accused of doing something illegal - from not following campaign finance laws to ignoring the city Charter - on an almost weekly basis.

But Williamson says results don't lie and he's had success as mayor.

That includes achieving the cornerstones of his 2003 campaign: ending the state financial takeover and turning around Flint's finances.

He frequently boasts of the city's $8.9-million surplus. Auditors confirmed the figure in the 2005-06 budget, but many critics doubt it still exists and some doubt it ever did.

He also points to hundreds of miles of paved roads; the parade of new garbage trucks, police cars and mowers; the opening of the City Jail, and 600 demolitions in his list of accomplishments.

"Are we done? No, but we've done a tremendous amount of work while other cities are going bankrupt," Williamson said.

As a campaigner, Williamson is a dominant force. He brings an army of volunteers and workers, splashy bill boards and glossy campaign literature.

He's twice proved his prowess.

In 2003 when he was elected, Williamson overcame opposition from basically the entire, and very influential, local Democratic establishment.

Then, there was his impressive influence in the 2005 council elections.

Williamson said he is taking nothing for granted this election.

"You can never be confident. The voters must speak," he said. "On election day they'll all make their report cards and they either want me or they don't."

He said he wants to continue to improve the city's look and feel through road construction, demolition, and other infrastructure improvements.

Williamson said he plans to unveil a major jobs plan shortly after the primary. He also said he wants to see a new stadium built in Flint.

"We're working around the clock. We're doing all we can do," he said. "Judge me by what I've done as mayor."

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/118510324715550.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Bossman
F L I N T O I D

For once "The Don" wants the same thing I want. Judge him by what he has done in office. That is cost the taxpayers nearly 20 million in law suits that either already been paid out, he still refuses to pay out, or are pending. The meager 8 million surplus he touts(which I still don't believe) is quickly eroded and replaced by a larger deficit. Flint can't afford 4 more years of my way or the highway politics. DUMP THE DON NOW!
Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:49 pm 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
That includes achieving the cornerstones of his 2003 campaign: ending the state financial takeover and turning around Flint's finances.
He did nothing to get the city out of debt! The State appointed city manager followed the City Council's budget with VERY! minor changes!

quote:

See post before me!

quote:
His critics claim his dishonesty continues. Williamson is accused of doing something illegal - from not following campaign finance laws to ignoring the city Charter - on an almost weekly basis.

How about "Honest people with good judgment and integrity point out how he does something illegal- from not following campaign laws to ignoring the city charter" That would be a fairer assessment.

quote:
He also points to hundreds of miles of paved roads; the parade of new garbage trucks, police cars and mowers; the opening of the City Jail, and 600 demolitions in his list of accomplishments.

Can anyone show me in the city budget where the money came from to pave the roads??? Talk about taking credit for something you've never done.

quote:
And he flexed his political strength in the city's last major election, in 2005, when he led the charge to successfully boot many of his council enemies out of office.

Ran a pretty darn good propaganda campaign filled with lies. He offer to pay council members back pay then drives around the city with loud speakers claiming they stole the city's money! LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL I wonder if Flint will be as easily hoodwinked this time.

quote:
"We're working around the clock. We're doing all we can do," he said. "Judge me by what I've done as mayor."

We continually judge you by your actions. It's your leadership that has campaign signs all over the city on vacant and abandoned buildings where no one lives, posted on city property and more unlawful places to come. I'm surprised he hasn't been bold enough to put one on the lawn at city hall.
[/code]
Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:26 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Steve Myers
Site Admin
Site Admin

quote:
Steve Myers schreef:
'Judge me by what I've done as mayor' -- Williamson
FLINTTHE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITIONSunday, July 22, 2007By Marjory Raymermraymer@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6325

Last in a series of profiles on Flint mayoral candidates.

FLINT - Mayor Don Williamson tossed a $100 bill on the desk and slid his worn brown wallet back into his pocket.

What was that for?

"(To sponsor) a fashion show of some sort," Williamson said with a shrug as his visitor walked out the door.

Every Wednesday morning, the mayor meets with anyone who wants to see him and is willing to wait, sometimes several hours, for their chance.

Some love him, some hate him, but everyone knows the mayor.

His controversial tenure has sparked a heated election in which six people have come forward to challenge him for Flint's most powerful position.

The top two finishers in the Aug. 7 primary will go on to the November general election.

Williamson won election in 2003 to a post that had virtually no power because the city was under a state financial takeover. He had the unanimous support of City Council and bucked Flint's traditional racial divide, proving popular in both black and white neighborhoods.

In the four years since, he has made enemies and is now warring with a majority of council members.

But he has shown some political acumen, touching on popular issues such as improving basic services. And he flexed his political strength in the city's last major election, in 2005, when he led the charge to successfully boot many of his council enemies out of office.

Above all, Williamson is still a unique character, with piercing blue eyes, dry humor and a sometimes combative tone.

He starts the answer to most questions with, "Let me tell you this here," and he threatens to fire staff several times an hour. Sometimes clearly joking, usually not.

Williamson's office features Harley-Davidson collectibles, framed photos with Burt Reynolds and a small collection of hardhats, all set in a tropical/safari decor.

A poster-sized framed photo of the mayor sitting at his desk, his wife, Patsy Lou, standing next to him, greets all visitors.

It reads at the top, "You must know the enemy better than they know themselves." At the bottom, "Success is the best revenge."

On the corner of his desk are two weekly paychecks, each for 2 cents, each uncashed. When asked why he wants to be mayor, he points to them.

"The pay's great," Williamson said.

Since taking office, Williamson has declined the mayor's salary of more than $100,000. Instead he is paid $1 a year - 88 cents after taxes, he notes.

The people who come to him on Wednesday mornings are often looking for help.

A swingset is broken.

Their electricity bills are too high.

Jobs are hard to come by.

In one marathon three-hour session observed by The Flint Journal, Williamson never directly turned down anyone's request.

He called on city attorneys to help answer legal questions, sent staff to go buy and install new swings for an apartment complex and tapped top city officials to help families when their power was turned off because of unpaid bills.

"The citizens of the city don't always know where to go for help," he said.

Also that morning, Williamson gave $200 to a block club that wanted to buy hot dogs for a party and $20 to a woman who needed gas money to get to her family reunion.

It's a unique way for a mayor to do business. Often described as a multimillionaire, Williamson said it's his own money he gives away - not the city's - and he does it because he remembers what it was like to be poor.

"I can relate to people's problems," said Williamson, who grew up in a struggling family in a home on Second Street near Ann Arbor Street, right where the river flooded every year.

The way he hands out cash also plays into a common accusation: He buys people and their support.

"I could care less," Williamson said of what others say about him.

Others, he said, have not had the city's best interests at heart.

"The city of Flint, it should be the most wealthiest city in the world," Williamson said.

He accuses former mayors of trying to buy friends with city money and some City Council members of skimming off city funds.

"And I'm the thief?" Williamson bellows.

He seems angered by frequent references to his criminal record - still routinely brought up by critics -but refuses to admit it.

In 1962, Williamson was a defendant in two business scams that involved buying cars with bad checks and buying merchandise for a discount store without paying for it.

Williamson served 3 years and 4 months in prison before being paroled in 1966.

When asked about the case, Williamson dismisses its relevance, saying voters have known about his past for more than 40 years.

But Williamson says results don't lie and he's had success as mayor.

He frequently boasts of the city's $8.9-million surplus. Auditors confirmed the figure in the 2005-06 budget, but many critics doubt it still exists and some doubt it ever did.

"Are we done? No, but we've done a tremendous amount of work while other cities are going bankrupt," Williamson said.

As a campaigner, Williamson is a dominant force. He brings an army of volunteers and workers, splashy bill boards and glossy campaign literature.

He's twice proved his prowess.

In 2003 when he was elected, Williamson overcame opposition from basically the entire, and very influential, local Democratic establishment.

Then, there was his impressive influence in the 2005 council elections.

Williamson said he is taking nothing for granted this election.

"You can never be confident. The voters must speak," he said. "On election day they'll all make their report cards and they either want me or they don't."

He said he wants to continue to improve the city's look and feel through road construction, demolition, and other infrastructure improvements.

Williamson said he plans to unveil a major jobs plan shortly after the primary. He also said he wants to see a new stadium built in Flint.

http://www.mlive.com/news/flintjournal/index.ssf?/base/news-0/118510324715550.xml&coll=5&thispage=1

Post Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: