FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Whatever it takes, make it happen....
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Richard
F L I N T O I D

This is fantastic news for the greater downtown area of Flint. If they could actually get this many students housed downtown the economic impacts would be outstanding. Next we could build a stadium, an arena, more campus area. Theres no end to what might happen.
Keep your fingers crossed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5620334
Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:40 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Richard schreef:
This is fantastic news for the greater downtown area of Flint. If they could actually get this many students housed downtown the economic impacts would be outstanding. Next we could build a stadium, an arena, more campus area. Theres no end to what might happen.
Keep your fingers crossed.

http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/story?section=local&id=5620334

Richard.........
With all due respect sir.......WAKE UP! A stadium AND an arena wont be happening!
Maybe a coffee house, club and a book store if youre lucky!

Have a safe weekend!

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:22 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Come on Al, think positively. Perhaps with a new stadium the Michigan Wolverines with coach Carr could split their home games between Ann Arbor and Flint, right?
I lived in Columbus and know how vibrant their downtown area is. Matter of fact I was just there in July and people are actually moving back into the city. There are huge condos being built and selling like crazy in downtown Columbus.
If the UM of Flint gets the housing thing down the downtown area will soar with life. The examples stated by Al would be a reality and there would be much much more to come. I for one would love to purchase a condo in downtown Flint as a second home.
Anything can happen, right Ryan?

Richard

Have a safe Labor Day weekend boys.
Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:30 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

downtown already has those... I went to work today, got my mocha from thre Brown sugar Cafe. Last week I bought "Because He Could" by Dick Morris and went to the loft the other week. Downtown is in store for more dorms, lofts, condos, townhouses, restaurants, clubs, small scale retail and offices in the years to come, plus a movie theatre at the old Character and a revitalized Capitol Theatre just add the life thats on the brink. Finally, a couple years back, there was talk and a study about an arena, convention and baseball stadium downtown, the city and county governments just couldnt coooperate though in the funding part.
Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:31 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Let's pray this all works out.
Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:32 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

those things are all nice and good but lets not forget what Flint needs
first.........J-O-B-S!

You can "talk and study" all you want about a stadium or arena. What minor pro team wants to move a baseball team or basketball team to Flint? Even with 10,000 seats, there is no way the seats would be filled and you would need a surrounding area (infrastructure) to help support it, established stores, shops, resturants, hotels and the such.
We have a beautiful 9,000 seat baseball stadium for our beloved Portland SeaDogs (AA RedSox) built in a part of town that can support it. Where would this stadium in Flint be built? Atwood area? Carriage Town? Come on folks!

Back to reality gentleman...back to reality!

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:55 pm 
lunchlady
F L I N T O I D

Ol' Al is still looking through those poop-colored glasses of his. I'm excited about what is happening downtown, I can't wait for the students to move in.
Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

We could offer laid off shop workers discount season tickets and we could give the homeless jobs in the new areana. We could let them live under the seats.

quote:
Al Garcia schreef:
those things are all nice and good but lets not forget what Flint needs
first.........J-O-B-S!

You can "talk and study" all you want about a stadium or arena. What minor pro team wants to move a baseball team or basketball team to Flint? Even with 10,000 seats, there is no way the seats would be filled and you would need a surrounding area (infrastructure) to help support it, established stores, shops, resturants, hotels and the such.
We have a beautiful 9,000 seat baseball stadium for our beloved Portland SeaDogs (AA RedSox) built in a part of town that can support it. Where would this stadium in Flint be built? Atwood area? Carriage Town? Come on folks!

Back to reality gentleman...back to reality!

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Pass The Biscuists!

quote:
Richard schreef:
Let's pray this all works out.

Post Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:39 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

How about them? They already star in a movie coming out next year. If there is one thing I've been taught in business is, you have to keep trying.

Richard
Post Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:59 am 
last time here

being an old dude, i'm impressed with the new attitude of the younger folks in this town..Ryan and the rest of you Gen-Xers, take this thing and RUN with it!!!! HELL YEA!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:55 pm 
WHAT!?
F L I N T O I D

I worked at Flint City Hall back in the 70's; in the building department. I recall seeing and hearing about the plans for saving the downtown area. The plans included the facilities that turned out to be named the Water Street Pavilion; the Hyatt; and Autoworld; and saving the Durant. This meeting took place at the Durant Hotel in its once beautiful bar. A lot of money was spent on buildings that are now demolished or empty.

Us old folks gave it a try, and these things didn't work out. Hopefully, the now young generation; will have better vision. Good luck to everyone who is trying to bring Flint back to its original luster and hope.

I do what I can to help; which sometimes means staying out of the way. LMAO
Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:05 am 
insider
F L I N T O I D

I am not sure that minor league sports would work, but I think UM-Flint needs to look into having NCAA sports teams. I think people would support UM-Flint teams and the games would give the students something to do as well. Start out with Basketball and all your minor sports (guys and girls) and dream that someday there could be a football team... maybe even one that could beat Appalachian State!
Post Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:56 pm 
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

Well, If you're gonna dream...you might as well dream big!

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:22 am 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

I think today most other people in cities arcross the world respect and care for their old buildings ( houses, buildings, bridges, barns, banks, light houses etc.). People want downtowns with big buildings, with quaint area and vibrant areas. People want the old buildings fixed up with cool shops in them. We need to save the remaining downtown buildings that area still standing to house things in. Lets face it we lost so many awesome buildings that if were still standing would be utilized.

quote:
WHAT!? schreef:
I worked at Flint City Hall back in the 70's; in the building department. I recall seeing and hearing about the plans for saving the downtown area. The plans included the facilities that turned out to be named the Water Street Pavilion; the Hyatt; and Autoworld; and saving the Durant. This meeting took place at the Durant Hotel in its once beautiful bar. A lot of money was spent on buildings that are now demolished or empty.

Us old folks gave it a try, and these things didn't work out. Hopefully, the now young generation; will have better vision. Good luck to everyone who is trying to bring Flint back to its original luster and hope.

I do what I can to help; which sometimes means staying out of the way. LMAO

Post Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:07 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: