FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Helen Chazick!!!

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

Helen was featured by the Sense of Community in the Flint Journal. Helen has been active in the Eastside for decades. We have a great picture of her in front of the Genevieve Donnelly Pavilion at Kearsley Park. Her good friend that helped her start a movement of community action.

Helen Chazick
Posted by Steve Jessmore | The Flint Journal October 21, 2007 20:23PM

Steve Jessmore / The Flint Journal
Eastside Mini-Station coordinator Helen Chazick waves goodbye to Flint police Inspector Connie Johnson, who stopped by to check on the station, 2210 N. Franklin Avenue in Flint. Chazick usually volunteers at the station five days a week and has been an active community volunteer ever since the 1940s.
Helen Chazick, 88, of Flint is a member of the Olde Eastside Neighborhood Association. She answered a call for volunteers to open a police mini-station back in 1993 and has been there ever since. Chazick still works five days a week taking non-emergency calls and helping citizens get action to solve their problems.

Point of action "I believe there's something for everybody if they want to get involved," Chazick said. "Find something you think you'd like to volunteer at and go for it. That's what people should do. If there is a need somewhere and I get a call and I can go, I'll go." Need an idea or help finding something you'd like? Call the Resource Center for volunteer opportunities at (810) 767-0500 or visit its Web site, www.rescen.org. "When we were kids, my dad always used to say 'For all good you do for others, you'll be repaid in heaven. It's better to give than receive.' On and on and on like that.

"I've been a volunteer for so many years. I'm here, there and everywhere. They tell me I'm like the bunny on television. I'm always running, but I intend to. I don't intend to sit. At meetings when I introduce myself, all I say is 'I'm with the East Side Mini-Station and I have my nose in many things.'

"My hope for Flint is for the betterment of it and to bring it back similar to when I first came here. It would be a beautiful city again. It's going to take a lot of work from all groups.

"I've always said all people should work together within a city to help keep it up and bring it back. They can pick up the trash out in the street. They can keep their lawns and homes up instead of letting them deteriorate, and whatever else is needed to keep a clean city.

"I don't think it's too much. Do one block. If other neighbors see you doing it, they'll get out there, some of them, and start doing it. That's the way you have to do these things. You have to work with young people, too.

"You don't look for pay. You don't look for recognition. You live in the city - help keep it up. That's the way it should be."

Photo column by Steve Jessmore The Flint Journal
Nominations to sjessmore

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:26 am 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

I remember Dane saying the mini-stations would be staffed with Officers, nit volunteers, so I guess she'll be out in the cold if he's elected. I've read all of Dane's "plans" on his web site, watched the debate & attended the "Walling pep rally" at St. Michael's Church, and he never mentioned using citizen volunteers for anything.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

now thats what i call a true FLINTSTONE to the heart..
i love her Laughing Confused Laughing Confused Laughing Confused Razz

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:54 pm 
rapunzel11
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Dave Starr schreef:
I remember Dane saying the mini-stations would be staffed with Officers, nit volunteers, so I guess she'll be out in the cold if he's elected. I've read all of Dane's "plans" on his web site, watched the debate & attended the "Walling pep rally" at St. Michael's Church, and he never mentioned using citizen volunteers for anything.

Perhaps you should have listened better? COPS officers would likely work out of mini-stations rather than just down town. Phone answering volunteers to take messages, make coffee and direct incoming calls to appropriate services are always needed and of course will always be encouraged.
Note: Fed. Weed and Seed funding has supported supplies,equipment, coffee etc. for mini stations on the East and North Sides. Grants have been submitted for South and North Central areas.

Your comments are somewhat silly. South side, West side and East side volunteers are extremely dedicated not to mention these elderly ladies have been involved longer than any City Officials. The North side has many groups that are very involved ,I am not as familiar with them as those that I have mentioned. Many of these volunteers come to the City wide crime watch meetings that only seem to get noticed by this administration when there is an election. ( not to mention these programs lack funding for mailings etc. under the current city admin)

I mentioned Helen ...not for Election purposes but to Applaud her long time dedication to the community .END

You want to hear a real opinion in regards to Community Policing... stop in to any one of the Flint Mini Police stations and ask any one of these volunteers. Ask them where is their local COPS officer? These volunteers that have been involved forever will tell you the truth.

Peace,
RAP

Post Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:43 pm 
Dave Starr
F L I N T O I D

Go back to my first reply. I've NEVER heard, or read, where Dane said he would use citizen volunteers for anything.

Pushing buttons sure can be fun.

When a lion wants to go somewhere, he doesn’t worry about how many hyenas are in the way.

Paddle faster, I hear banjos.
Post Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: