FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: I was scammed
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
andi03
F L I N T O I D

.........and feel lower than a pregnant snail about it........like an idiot!!!!

Signed up with classmates.com when planning my 20th class reunion this year, I clicked on a link that stated something to the effect of get more information on reservationrewards.com.

Sure I got more information, in the form of a 10.00 charge to my account every month for the last 5 months, but one of the months was a credit, because I had signed up with them evidently to receive discounts on movie tickets, dining, hotel....etc.

Gee, my e-mail account and me stating yes, was the electronic signature needed to implement this, classmates, shared my account number with reservation rewards. I thought that I understood the privacy agreement and I made a bad choice and buyer beware kinda thing......I might as well have handed them the vaseline myself.

I did NOT realize that I was giving them my permission to get into my account by doing this. I called classmates parent company in California and spoke with the receptionist, evidently I had more coffee than her. I asked for the public relations department as this supposed con scheme was all over the Internet and even a lawsuit against the company for deceptive practices......hmmm. Some guy sued over 10.00.....Cool!!! I lost more than that, only 50!!! The receptionist would not transfer me to another department and had caller ID, I told her that I would not give her my name and that she would know who to contact because she's the receptionist. She said that she had three floors and 400 people to keep track of, I told her that I was a receptionist for a GM supplier in two different buildings with 600 people and I knew everyone so how can she NOT know whom I want to speak to.

It did NOT appear to be a too good to be true...........

SIGH

edited to add; I called the reservation rewards company phone number and they gave me a refund, supposedly to be taken care of in 3-5 business days....we'll see.

/rant off Guy with axe Toilet monster

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:07 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

20th, Jeez your still a youngster. Very Happy We belonged to classmates for a short time. Kept getting Emails from folks we didnt hang with back than wanting to hang out now. One guy I did run with for a while managed to find out where we lived and would show up every couple of weeks usually drunk and want to sit around and talk about the old days and his present crappy marraige and his uncaring wife. Great just what I enjoy doing. Anyhow that was our experience with classmates yours may differ. By the way since moving north I believe we have covered our tracks from our unwelcome guest. Very Happy Very Happy

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:01 pm 
last time here

still a spring chicken!!!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:28 pm 
00SL2
F L I N T O I D

Andi, and I thought you were the computer guru!! Razz

The best learned lessons are those we learn from personal experience. I hope you've notified your financial institution to change your account number after that credit is received. I wouldn't let that business off the hook with just a refund either, I'd still file a complaint because you're not the only one who's been scammed, you'd just need to add that you received a refund (if you do). Fight back, for you and others!

Internet crime Complaint Center...an FBI - NW3C Partnership
http://www.ic3.gov/

FCC Complaints
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html
Post Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:11 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Same thing happened to me when I was tracking down an engineer. I raised hell with the company and they issued me a credit and stopped charging me.
Stuff like this is crap!
Richard
Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:21 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Oh, twotap, no one can resist your Republican-ism, that's why!!! Smile

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:47 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

hey LTH.......cluck, cluck.....Smile

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:48 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Oh, OOSL..........Nah, not a computer guru, just confused!!! I updated my blog....gosh that sounds egotistical......sigh.

I am going to write a letter, a bunch of them!!! I write about 3-4 a year to the Flint Journal, but I will be spending time writing my kvetch letters to these companies, with sources and quotes galore. There was even a write up about this in the NY Times last year, I think?

Yeah, hubby wasn't too thrilled....looks like we will wait a little bit to see what happens. I mean I don't let my eyes off of the credit card when I use it at fast food restaurants because of the belt swipers that kids wear when they are cashiers!!! Heck I remember asking for my carbons back so I could have them!!!

Classmates refunded me and offered three months service and I got a full refund out of reservation rewards BUT they haven't hit the account yet......we'll see.

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:53 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Richard, you always leave interesting posts........why would you want to track down an engineer? Did the train leave it's tracks in your backyard?......<humor>

Did I tell you I had my first paying job this Fall repairing three headstones? I was sooo giddy!!! Ahem......paid pretty well too. I may sense a business starting.

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:56 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Oh, twotap, no one can resist your Republican-ism, that's why!!!
Well that splains that. Laughing Laughing

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:56 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

[quote="andi03"]Richard, you always leave interesting posts........why would you want to track down an engineer? Did the train leave it's tracks in your backyard?......<humor>

I guess I should have explained. The engineer who designed the seawall for the hotel has just up and disappeared without a trace. I was using some Yellow Pages thing on the internet to track him down and somehow got caught up int he scam.

Ricahrd
Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:49 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Geez Richard, is everything taken care of now, structurally?! My dad has had experience with dikes, I think.

Post Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:54 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Funny you mention that, we just had some issues with dikes here at the hotel but she finally quit..... Laughing
Looks like were good to go right now-Thanks

Richard
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:02 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

Oy.......I knew as soon as I pressed submit, I should have changed the dam word....

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:54 am 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Who could resist that one.... Very Happy
Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:55 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: