FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Flint Homicides Down- 2007
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

Homicides tumble in Flint in 2007
Posted by Bryn Mickle | The Flint Journal January 01, 2008 15:00PM
Categories: Breaking News, Crime, Flint
FLINT -- Flint could lose its spot near the top of the most dangerous cities in America.

The city finished the year with one of its lowest homicide totals in recent history.

Flint logged about 30 homicides in 2007, a year after the city reached 55 homicides and landed at or near the top of two national crime rankings.

Time magazine called Flint the most violent city in the U.S., while CQ Press ranked the city behind only St. Louis and Detroit.

In the last dozen years, only twice has the city has had less than 30 homicides in a year.

Neighborhood activist Mary Hall sees the drop as a positive sign that life is getting better in Flint.

"I'm just praying for it to stop ... all this killing and robbing," said Hall, adding the city needs more jobs to keep crime down.

"Prayer changes things, but people need work," she said.

The drop in homicides is bittersweet for Acting Flint Police Chief Gary Hagler.

"I don't like hearing about anybody dying," said Hagler.

Among the deaths;
• A man who was allegedly slain outside an apartment complex by two boys, 13 and 14.

• A Flint man died after he was shot in the head as he zipped up his son's jacket after a basketball game.

• A supermarket owner was slain during a robbery, while a Flint bus driver died after she was shot on her porch.

While there is no guaranteed reason for the rise or fall in the homicide rate in a given year, Hagler believes the reopening of the city jail in 2007 played a major role in the decline.

He also credited the actions of the city's police officers and citizens.

"It's a testament to the hard work of the officers and the community helping us out," said Hagler.

Hagler is hopeful that large-scale drug busts like the operation that dismantled the alleged "Pierson Hood" gang in December will have a positive effect on Flint's homicide rate in 2008.

Suspects in the Pierson Hood case were linked to at least seven homicides and Hagler said police continue to build cases against other alleged gangs.

"We continue to focus on the big picture and the long-term crime organizations, as well as the day-to-day issues of crime control," said Hagler.

Outside Flint, Genesee County had only a handful of homicides.

A Korean War veteran was shot to death in March during a robbery at his Flint Township home. Two weeks later, the township logged two more homicides when two men were shot in a car.
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:10 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

See thanks to Mayor Williamson 1 man vehicle system, response time has increased! Crime is down, ever since the new policy has taken place I have noticed response time is a lot quicker!

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Al Garcia
F L I N T O I D

Thirty is still thirty to many. Lets see those numbers compared to similar sized towns. I would bet it would still be near the top.
So a hooker sleeps with fewer Johns?.....Isnt she still a hooker?

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:20 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Crime is down in the City of Flint, and you will see 2008 this number to drop even further. Hell its 7:30pm in Flint and nobody has been killed yet. Its safer and the year is starting off on a good note!

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:21 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
last time here

a fine testament to our mayor, police chief, police persons and great
citizens who care......there will always be glasses half empty (al)
but who cares, he's sitting up country.....all those naysayers who
whined and bitched about the current administration.

Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

HEY!!! WHERES TED?????????????? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:37 pm 
Pachuco
F L I N T O I D

I love it when something bad happens or goes wrong with this city, everyone wants to point fingers and blame the mayor, but when someone post new jobs, downtown redevelopment, a decrease in crime, whatever it may be, they don't post or make an excuse against it.

The truth is, a re-opened city jail, one main patrols and increased officers have been working, since being slowly implemented throughout this administration.

Look, I'll be the first one to say I don't like the Don, I wanted Dayne to win, however. I believe this city is making a rebond in economic development, intergovernmental cooperation( to be more specific, joint city/county ventures, as well as law enforcement agencies), crime reduction , infrastructure improvement and mostly important, spirit.

Last edited by Pachuco on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:58 pm 
last time here

come on pachuco!! i have another don williamson t-shirt left.
you can have it!! Cool

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:23 pm 
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Amen Pachuco! I see this city making a good comeback, things are getting cleaned up, development is happenin and blacks and whites are getting along a lot better!

quote:
Pachuco schreef:
I love it when something bad happens or goes wrong with this city, everyone wants to point fingers and blame the mayor, but when someone post new jobs, downtown redevelopment, a decrease in crime, whatever it may be, they don't post or make an excuse against it.

The truth is, a new city jail, one main patrols and increased officers have been working, since being slowly implemented throughout this administration.

Look, I'll be the first one to say I don't like the Don, I wanted Dayne to win, however. I believe this city is making a rebond in economic development, intergovernmental cooperation( to be more specific, joint city/county ventures, as well as law enforcement agencies), crime reduction , infrastructure improvement and mostly important, spirit.

Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:52 pm 
insider
F L I N T O I D

quote:
Ryan Eashoo schreef:

See thanks to Mayor Williamson 1 man vehicle system, response time has increased! Crime is down, ever since the new policy has taken place I have noticed response time is a lot quicker!

How often do you call the police to be able to compare response times?
Post Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:35 pm 
Richard
F L I N T O I D

Could it be there is just no one else to kill? Anytime crime is down it is good news.
richard
Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:09 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

quote:

It seems to me I remember reading how against the one man car idea most law enforcement experts are. Having a lone officer responding to calls in the no.3 most dangerous city in the nation has to have been an idea thought up by someone who has not a clue or care as to the safety of the cop on the street. Its a tragedy just waiting to happen. Can you imagine what can transpire in a 3- 5 minute wait for backup. Arm chair crime fighters out of touch with the real world. Rolling Eyes

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:39 am 
last time here

something happened in my neighborhood (next to my house) and
there were 4 cops in less than 2 minutes!!!

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:59 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Well OK 2 minutes. Ya got a lone officer vulnerable with no one to watch his back for at least 2 minutes. Try a lttle experiment and see how far you can walk or run or what you can accomplish with the help of maybe 1or2 or more pals in 2 minutes. Now transfer that to what the 3 or more of you could do to a lone officer in only 2 minutes. No matter where he is the lone cop is most likely immediatley outnumbered. Shocked

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:32 am 
last time here

naw dude..there were 4 cops there within 2 minutes..
4 cops, 4 cars!!

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:55 am 
Ted Jankowski
F L I N T O I D

quote:
While there is no guaranteed reason for the rise or fall in the homicide rate in a given year, Hagler believes the reopening of the city jail in 2007 played a major role in the decline.

He also credited the actions of the city's police officers and citizens.

Exactly! THis is for all the clowns that continually try to make the case that you cannot use stats. I predicted this would happen! BASED ON STATS! As well as 90% of the police officers! Just by opening the jail and stopping criminals from graduating up from lessor crimes. I knew this would happen. The Police knew this would happen.

quote:

What the H#LL do you base that on? This program has been in place almost three years now and had NO AFFECT whatsoever. Except that there have been many ONE MAN cars arrive on the scene and sit and wait for back up before getting out of the car! MANY TIMES this has happened. People have gotten away because of one man cars! You call this something that works?? HOW??

quote:
HEY!!! WHERES TED??????????????

Right herre. I just found this thread today!

AS I've stated many times before. If the Mayor would have opened the City jail his first year in office as he promised. AND NOT!!! hired 50 new officers! Crime would have continued on its downward trend that we had for the 15 years before THE DON took over! This only proves the Mayor's complete lack of leadership! With the amount of resources available to him now! Crime should be well below 2003 levels. Not just now getting close to them.
Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: