FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: speaking of cemetaries..................
Goto page 1, 2  Next
  Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
last time here

who would have the plot records of people buried at the
old cemetary next to mcdonalds dairy (or whatever the
new dairy's name is now)?? Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:01 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I'm not sure about the actual plot records. (I'm bad with those) but if you are looking for a specific person, you CANNOT beat the Flint Genealogical Society's website. www.rootsweb.com/~mifgs

The library.... either the Flint Public Library or the GDL headquarters on Pasadena MAY have a cemetery record book that will list the plot number where a specific person is buried.

But the best place to go is probably the Genesee County Clerk's office on Friday when Flint Genealogical Society volunteers are there. They definitely have cemetery records listing the individual buried, birth and death dates, and I believe the plot number in which they are buried.

The only warning I can give you is that SOME FGS volunteers are a little.... ornery or pushy.... maybe they just don't like "young punks."

If you are looking for someone who is buried there, I personally find that half the fun is wandering around aimlessly in a cemetery, but I also am looking for a stone of my great uncle who died as a baby, and whose stone has probably been destroyed.

I hope this helps! I love Avondale Cemetery. My family is buried in the back and under a tree near the Armory side.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:40 am 
last time here

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing "young punk" Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
i wish someone would refer to me as a young punk ha ha ha ha.

thanks for the website tegan..

my ggreat grandparents are there somewhere....i have walked
the cemetary before and find it quite calmning... Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:36 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

if you don't mind me asking, what are their last names? I've been there a lot and some names stick out to me...
Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:39 am 
last time here

james johnson (mulatto or whatever designation they used in those days)
he came to flint about 1895.

matilda johnson (white, married james in chatham, ont.)

i found 1 matilda so i have to assume thats the one.

i somehow doubt they had money enough to buy markers, but i
do have a picture of them......quite beautiful indeed!! Wink

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:46 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

Its great that you have a picture! I have very few photos of my ancestors, unfortunately.

my gggreat grandmother was mulatto, but actually told people she was half native american. She's actually buried in Avondale too.

The really cool thing is that i have distant family who also take care of their graves. When I first found their spot, only her husband had a stone, but my other family purchased a new stone for her.

Good luck to you! other places to check are Genesee County Michigan Genweb and findagrave.com
Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:27 pm 
last time here

good luck tegan....
now THIS is so COOL Cool Cool Cool Cool

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:12 pm 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

so it just clicked.... and I doubt they are the same people, but another ancestor of mine was John James Johnson and his wife Malinda Pratt Johnson, but in one or two of the census records, her name is listed as Matilda.

Its from around the same period.. maybe a little earier. John was born in 1825 in Ontario and died in 1903 Matilda was born in 1828 in New York and died in 1912, but they died in Ionia County.

Just a crazy coincidence.
Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:04 pm 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/mi/tsphoto/genesee/avondale.htm
http://www.govcrapocamp145.org/aventine.php
http://www.epodunk.com/cgi-bin/genealogyInfo.php?locIndex=21813 Heres some links that might have some info.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of cemetarys their is one not far from us up here that has quite a reputation.
http://forums.ghosttowns.com/showthread.php?t=5262
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/mi/percheny.html
http://windspiritsparanormalsociety.blogspot.com/2007/07/pere-cheney-cemeteyduel-investigation.html Some of the folks that visit there have some strange storys to tell, heres a few.

Post Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:31 pm 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

**** but I also am looking for a stone of my great uncle who died as a baby, and whose stone has probably been destroyed. *****

Tegan, it depends on the death date and what the stone was made out of or whether it is a little brass monument. If it was a little brass monument, it was probably placed flush with the ground. Over time, due to the compacting of the soil it has probably sunk approximately one inch. If you are careful and you know that he may be buried in the same plot area, all you have to do is take a little screwdriver and poke a hole in the ground approx. every. 4 inches so you don't miss the brass headstone. This has to be done carefully so you don't put a ding in the material.

Another thing maybe that depending on when he was buried, late 1800's early 1900's some of the headstones were made out of a kind of sandstone that were easily broken, and a majority of the time were broken in half. You can still do the same technique as I mentioned above, but more care has to be placed with "plunking"/screwdriver for the finding of the headstone.

Good luck. Smile

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:47 am 
andi03
F L I N T O I D

You two might be related. Smile

I found a cousin just this last week from N. Carolina, I posted a message on the Ancestry board FOUR years ago on the Smith message board.....that board has maybe 50000000000000 postings for people looking for information on that particular last name!!! We are related, we don't even need to swap pics....with names like Fairy, Ransom, Arlis and Stanley we know that we are related, what were my GGGrandparents thinking!!! Smile

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:51 am 
last time here

so interesting.....great sites 2tap!!! Confused Confused

i saw a census at the library (by central h.s.) that james was from
pennsylvania. i have to assume he escaped and made it to chatham.
his wife, matilda listed her parents as being english (mom) and
irish (dad). i am also assuming her dad came to canada during
the potato famine.

i have her death certificate, i find nothing from her husband.

their son (my ggrandad) was a cook at the infamous durant hotel!! Laughing

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:38 am 
Tegan
F L I N T O I D

I have an ancestry.com international subscription so if you (or anyone) would like me to do a basic search on anyone, that will be no problem.

There is also www.familysearch.org, which is a collection of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints records, as well as the 1880 census for free.

Michigan also offers its 1870 census online for free at http://www.hal.state.mi.us/1870census/

And also, Michigan allows residents with a driver's license number to access all the census records from HeritageQuest.
www.mel.org/SPT--BrowseResources.php?ParentId=416
Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:07 am 
last time here

wow!! this has been very helpful...thanks!! Confused Smile

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:28 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Lt does that mean ya wear green on St Paddys day? Wink Laughing

Post Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:51 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Topic | Next Topic  >