FAQFAQ   SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlistRegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in[ Log in ]  Flint Talk RSSFlint Talk RSS

»Home »Open Chat »Political Talk  Â»Flint Journal »Political Jokes »The Bob Leonard Show  

Flint Michigan online news magazine. We have lively web forums

FlintTalk.com Forum Index > Open chat

Topic: Semi-Pro behind-the-scenes

Author    Post Post new topic Reply to topic
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Check out this page for updates and exclusive behind-the-scenes photos from Semi-Pro...

http://thestarrymessenger.blogspot.com/

Thanks to everyone who contributed photos. You know who you are.
Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:08 am 
twotap
F L I N T O I D

Very entertaining and well done. Very Happy

Post Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:52 am 
Mark Bonto
F L I N T O I D

Very good, Shawn!

I know Ashley. Ask her about me - she's a real sweetheart! I didn't know about the commercial thing, but good for her! She deserves it - she's a real nice person!

Watch national award-winning “Comedy On Tap” Thursdays and Fridays at 8pm. Both on Comcast channel 17. Go to my website at: http://markbonto.com and listen to me, and see me live at The White Horse on the radio: Wednesdays 7-7:30am on WKUF 94.3 FM.
Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Ryan Eashoo
F L I N T O I D

Very cool, keep up the good work shawn!

Post Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:20 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Likewise, Shawn. BTW, With "Semi-Pro" opening at the end of the month, I decided to restore the old Flinn's Journal online column from last May about the filming of the movie. The only picture from the column I do not have is the one of the Top Hat Auto Wash which the former host of the column provided. I should take a picture of it to include in the column as well as a photo of the Flint Fairgrounds Coliseum attraction board at the Dort Mall which advertises Jackie Moon wrestling a live bear. You can see the column at...
http://home.comcast.net/~steelbeard1/flinn051807.htm

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:00 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Hey Gary how are ya? I remember reading that article, and am still sad I don't get to see your columns regularly in the Uncommon Sense (RIP, hoping for a resurrection).

The idea the "world premiere" would be held in Flint was a very, very long shot. Most likely LA. Nobody famous is gonna fly to Flint just for this, and premieres are all about "who's there."

I was having a conversation with a reporter regarding what the movie will do for Flint's image. Semi-Pro does make a little fun of Flint - you just can't get away from that - but that's life. Just look at the title, Flint Tropics, that's already parody.

My friend Tom took pics of the Top Hat during filming.

A little trivia on Top Hat: Martin Saper built the three Top Hat car washes in Flint. Martin is 90 years old today. He and his family left Flint in the mid 1960's but his son Roy returned to Michigan and runs Saper Art Galleries in Lansing.

I'm no Gary Flinn, but I know my Flint stuff... Wink

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:19 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Thanks, Shawn. Can I borrow the picture for the aforementioned article? BTW, some of the Uncommon Sense folks are working on a new alternative paper called The Flint Reader. I have an unpublished Flinn's Journal article on early TV which I'm letting them use. In the meantime, there are my new articles for Your Magazine which, unfortunately, doesn't put their articles on line. I've asked them if I can put the articles on my own web site once the issue the article is in goes off sale. Also, I got an e-mail this week from The Flint Journal about writing an occasional local history piece.

Post Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:34 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

Let me ask Tom and I'll get back to you. Flint Journal can use all the help it can get as I heard 40% of its staff took the buyout. They'd be lucky to get you.

Never heard anything about The Flint Reader, you're the first to mention it. Guess its borrowing the title from the The Chicago Reader as The Flint Voice borrowed from The Village Voice. Makes sense!

Email is always best to get a hold of me...
Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:46 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

Thanks, Shawn and Tom. I got permission. I'll choose my favorite of the Top Hat Auto Wash pix to put in the old May column. Here's a photo of the Flint Fairgrounds Coliseum attraction board now in the Dort Mall:

I just inserted it in the column.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:42 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I got a "This page is private" message when I tried to access the photos. Doesn't matter, I used the Top Hat photo further up this thread so it's now on the old article and I gave credit to Tom and Shawn at the bottom of the article.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:48 pm 
Shawn Chittle
F L I N T O I D

I just added a map of the Semi-Pro filming locations. If I missed any, please let me know.

http://thestarrymessenger.blogspot.com/2008/02/semi-pro-filming-locations-map.html
Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:06 pm 
Flinn's Journal
F L I N T O I D

I forgot to add that, for those who didn't know already, I post local classic movie theater news in http://www.cinematreasures.org. I began posting news about the filming of "Semi-Pro" and the resulting repair of the Capitol Theatre marquee last April. You can see an index of the articles at...
http://cinematreasures.org/search_news/index.php?keywords=Semi-Pro&weblog=weblog
Besides the Capitol Theatre in Flint, I've been closely following developments in Owosso at the Lebowsky Center which was originally called the Capitol Theatre. It was gutted by fire last year and will be rebuilt this spring.

Post Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:22 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Topic | Next Topic  >

Forum Rules: